Children and immigration reform

On 9/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, Archy1221 said:

Just shy of 5 million people illegally coming into the country in just 2 years.   What’s that, 1.3%-1.5% of our population? 

Even Democrat leaders are crying uncle on migrants. Eric Adams wants a state of emergency in New York. Chicago is getting overwhelmed as are Eagle Pass and El Paso TX.

If we are in control of our Southern border why can't we simply shut off the spigot until the water drains and then turn it back on at reasonable level?

"New York City Mayor Eric Adams on Wednesday called for the federal government to declare a state of emergency to manage the "crisis" at the border, saying the influx of asylum seekers could end up costing the city billions of dollars in the coming years."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/20/us/texas-border-eagle-pass-migrants.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/27/dems-migrant-crisis-biden-00118001

If Dems aren't careful some idiot promising to build a wall will win the presidency.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

jeez what was the point of the 400+ miles of border wall that Trump spent $15 billion on :(

He got that much done? If I remember he had to 'steal' funds from other places and then got sued for doing that. I thought it was more like 40 miles of wall completed but I honestly don't remember. Texas has put up floating barriers and are being told to take them down by the administration.

Now Clinton is chiming in. Mentioned how NY lost seats over crime policies and immigration is next.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-clinton-calls-migrants-begin-working-paying-taxes-paying-their-way-new-york-city

12 minutes ago, nic said:

He got that much done? If I remember he had to 'steal' funds from other places and then got sued for doing that. I thought it was more like 40 miles of wall completed but I honestly don't remember. Texas has put up floating barriers and are being told to take them down by the administration.

Now Clinton is chiming in. Mentioned how NY lost seats over crime policies and immigration is next.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-clinton-calls-migrants-begin-working-paying-taxes-paying-their-way-new-york-city

I thought Mexico paid for it?  :dunno

31 minutes ago, nic said:

A continuous wall won't work and really isn't feasible with natural ecosystems and terrain.  And just catching folks at a border and telling them to turn around is dangerous and cruel.  Putting migrants lives in danger with threats of shooting or drowning on things in a river is just asenine. 

But expecting people to get processed and allowed entry in an efficient way is also currently impossible.  We would have to build massive internment camps at the border to house everyone that approaches points of entry claiming asylum.  That is really the only current alternative to writing down the names and then letting them go live with family/friends so the government doesn't have to spend money/resources on housing and feeding them.

More people in the U.S. is not a problem, especially if they are allowed to legally work.  The HUGE problem is how do we quickly get these people into the work force and meaningful contributors to the economy?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

A continuous wall won't work and really isn't feasible with natural ecosystems and terrain.  And just catching folks at a border and telling them to turn around is dangerous and cruel.  Putting migrants lives in danger with threats of shooting or drowning on things in a river is just asenine. 

But expecting people to get processed and allowed entry in an efficient way is also currently impossible.  We would have to build massive internment camps at the border to house everyone that approaches points of entry claiming asylum.  That is really the only current alternative to writing down the names and then letting them go live with family/friends so the government doesn't have to spend money/resources on housing and feeding them.

More people in the U.S. is not a problem, especially if they are allowed to legally work.  The HUGE problem is how do we quickly get these people into the work force and meaningful contributors to the economy?

Federal Government should offer states money to take them in.  It could help increase population in a lot of areas. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Federal Government should offer states money to take them in.  It could help increase population in a lot of areas. 

Yes...and allow them to work.

If they are legally working, they are then easier to track where they are and what they are doing.  They are also contributing to the economy instead of costing the economy.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes...and allow them to work.

If they are legally working, they are then easier to track where they are and what they are doing.  They are also contributing to the economy instead of costing the economy.  

What are your thoughts on in exchange for that, curbing the amount of remittances that are allowed to leave the country so the money stays with the local economies/state economies instead of helping Mexico? 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What are your thoughts on in exchange for that, curbing the amount of remittances that are allowed to leave the country so the money stays with the local economies/state economies instead of helping Mexico? 

Naa...not too worried about that.  And, if they are sending some money south, that would also help prevent some of those from needing to try to get in here.

The vast majority of the economic growth it would generate would stay here.  We are only talking about a portion of wages.

• TBH 3