Children and immigration reform

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

There’s only one problem with this. The migrant caravan doesn’t need to be invented. It’s at our border and has been for quite awhile. But, as has been noted, Rs have no desire to do a single thing about the problem and Ds couldn’t get anything passed if they wanted to. It’s way too valuable as a political football. Partisan politics, elections and campaigning have rendered our government completely dysfunctional. Joe needs to go with the executive orders route but I’m not sure he has the cajones for that.

It should be noted though, the House passed HR 2 roughly 6-7 months ago.  That dealt  with the border. Schumer has been sitting on it 

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It should be noted though, the House passed HR 2 roughly 6-7 months ago.  That dealt  with the border. Schumer has been sitting on it 

I just read through HR 2. Yeah, boring, but I had a few minutes. I don’t have a problem with the majority of it. Unfortunately the bills authors felt it necessary to include some silly things that they obviously knew dems would not support. As an example, DHS is prohibited from purchasing electric vehicles. A stupid provision with an obvious goal that has nothing to do with border security or immigration reform. If these a$$h@!es would just get serious, maybe something could be done to begin fixing the problem.

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I just read through HR 2. Yeah, boring, but I had a few minutes. I don’t have a problem with the majority of it. Unfortunately the bills authors felt it necessary to include some silly things that they obviously knew dems would not support. As an example, DHS is prohibited from purchasing electric vehicles. A stupid provision with an obvious goal that has nothing to do with border security or immigration reform. If these a$$h@!es would just get serious, maybe something could be done to begin fixing the problem.

I really don't think either sides wants to get all that serious about immigration issues.  

One side pretends that they want to just let everyone in.  The other sides pretends they don't want anyone in.  

Clearly neither side is behind honest about what they want.  

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

There’s only one problem with this. The migrant caravan doesn’t need to be invented. It’s at our border and has been for quite awhile. But, as has been noted, Rs have no desire to do a single thing about the problem and Ds couldn’t get anything passed if they wanted to. It’s way too valuable as a political football. Partisan politics, elections and campaigning have rendered our government completely dysfunctional. Joe needs to go with the executive orders route but I’m not sure he has the cajones for that.

Both parties would lose a valuable talking point to rally up their constituents if they actually fix something 

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Both parties would lose a valuable talking point to rally up their constituents if they actually fix something 

Yes - it has replaced abortion as the red meat issue. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Decked said:

Unfortunately. Dems has their time to protect reproductive rights and failed. 

Mmmm, when? Before RvW was overturned? There really was no impetus to do anything further while RvW was intact and since they haven’t had the numbers. Not to get off topic…..

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Mmmm, when? Before RvW was overturned? There really was no impetus to do anything further while RvW was intact and since they haven’t had the numbers. Not to get off topic…..

When Obama was President, they had a super majority and could have codified it into law settling the issue. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

When Obama was President, they had a super majority and could have codified it into law settling the issue. 

So, like I said, there wasn’t much reason for them to do anything given that RvW had been the law of the land for 40 years.

It’s quite disingenuous to blame dems for not acting proactively to change something that didn’t need to be changed at the time. And even if they had it wouldn’t have prevented the ultra conservative SCOTUS from effectively reversing it. I’m not even arguing for or against the decision. Just commenting that it’s stupid to blame dems for what Rs and a conservative court are ultimately responsible for.

• TBH 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:
53 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So, like I said, there wasn’t much reason for them to do anything given that RvW had been the law of the land for 40 years.

There absolutely was great reason to do it and now they are paying the consequences of not doing it.  Codifying into law would have taken it out of SCOTUS hands.   RvW was rightfully overturned because it’s the purview of Congress to make laws not SCOTUS.  So SCOTUS finally decided it was a states rights issue since Congress didn’t define it. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Just commenting that it’s stupid to blame dems for what Rs and a conservative court are ultimately responsible for.

Responsible for correcting a past SCOTUS ruling they had no business making in the first place?  Sounds fine to me.  

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

There absolutely was great reason to do it and now they are paying the consequences of not doing it.  Codifying into law would have taken it out of SCOTUS hands.   RvW was rightfully overturned because it’s the purview of Congress to make laws not SCOTUS.  So SCOTUS finally decided it was a states rights issue since Congress didn’t define it. 

53 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Responsible for correcting a past SCOTUS ruling they had no business making in the first place?  Sounds fine to me.  

You can bet they won’t fail to do it the next chance they get…..now that there is a renewed reason to act.

And BTW, “they” (the dems) are not the ones paying the consequences. Innocent tax paying citizens in backwards conservative states are the ones paying for it with substandard readily available healthcare and with travel expenses. And I’m not only talking about the people who want/need abortions. I have to believe women’s healthcare providers are and will be leaving those states in droves. 

• TBH 1
36 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let's be honest: the Dems could have done a lot of things better. 

9taX.gif

And Republicans.

And our government as a whole.

I was going to add our forefathers but they actually did pretty good. The issue has been people in the 2000’s not recognizing that things were significantly different in the late 1700’s and failing to apply common sense and new information instead of making literal interpretations.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
On 1/4/2024 at 8:30 PM, Archy1221 said:

I typically agree with a lot of the non-wall related strict immigration policies of HR 2.

The biggest problem is that it does not address the expansion of legal immigration that is necessary. The reality is that the economy needs these workers, and "asylum" seekers at the border have acted as de-facto immigrants to fill necessary jobs. 

Until Democrats accept that their stance on Aslyum is far to broad - basically anybody living south of Texas could have "credible asylum" and until Republicans are willing to accept massive increases in the caps associated with legal immigration, the problems at the border aren't going to be fixed without an actual compromise neither side wants to make. 

• TBH 2