Children and immigration reform

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Very sad deal.  

But if these murderers are coming in by the millions, wouldn’t we have more than one of these stories every year or so?

There are lots of these stories, I just shared this one because of the connection to Central Nebraska. 

I absolutely realize that the vast majority of newcomers just want to work and better their station in life. I have no problem with that, in fact I welcome it and am involved with organizations in my community promoting it.

I also know that in recent years...not just under Biden...that the numbers have become untenable. If you have contacts in Texas or Arizona, ask them their opinion. If millions are coming in yearly, logic would tell us that similar incidents will continue to happen. If security is strengthened, the illegal rate of entry is reduced, then the rate these crimes occur would logically decrease. 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

There are lots of these stories, I just shared this one because of the connection to Central Nebraska. 

I absolutely realize that the vast majority of newcomers just want to work and better their station in life. I have no problem with that, in fact I welcome it and am involved with organizations in my community promoting it.

I also know that in recent years...not just under Biden...that the numbers have become untenable. If you have contacts in Texas or Arizona, ask them their opinion. If millions are coming in yearly, logic would tell us that similar incidents will continue to happen. If security is strengthened, the illegal rate of entry is reduced, then the rate these crimes occur would logically decrease. 

I don't disagree with any of that.  I just get frustrated at groups that make it sound like we are being invaded by scary monster people.  Like you said, overwhelmingly most of these folks just want to work and make their families' lives better.  But scaring the American public creates a very large population that has zero interest in creating ways to expedite the immigration process to get good hardworking people to join the American workforce.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

27 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  I just get frustrated at groups that make it sound like we are being invaded by scary monster people.  Like you said, overwhelmingly most of these folks just want to work and make their families' lives better.  But scaring the American public creates a very large population that has zero interest in creating ways to expedite the immigration process to get good hardworking people to join the American workforce.

Agree scare tactics never work well, and I would rather see informative statistics and dialog. The entire process could be improved and expedited with meaningful, bi-partisan, reform/modifications in immigration law and policies...along with securing the border as much as physically possible. I for one don't think that "build the wall" can every fully accomplish that. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Agree scare tactics never work well, and I would rather see informative statistics and dialog. The entire process could be improved and expedited with meaningful, bi-partisan, reform/modifications in immigration law and policies...along with securing the border as much as physically possible. I for one don't think that "build the wall" can every fully accomplish that. 

:thumbs

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Overwhelming evidence that when a victim is a pretty white girl, it gets exponentially more media play than similar, concurrent cases involving victims and perpetrators of different races and genders. This doesn't answer the larger immigration issue, but it is why one victim earns internet fame and outrage while apparently lesser victims remain in anonymity.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

This

Of course, that's what the vast majority of Americans want.  But, spending billions on a friggen wall that doesn't work just so it looks like you're doing something about it, isn't the answer.

Fix #2 and #3, and #1 and #4 pretty much take care of themselves.  If people can immigrate here legally with a fast and simple system, many of the people trying to get over the border illegally right now, switch to doing it legally.  We can then employ them and they become a major engine to drive the economy.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2