Children and immigration reform

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

:laughpound

it’s wasn’t too long ago she was in all white faux crying at the border,  which happens to be outside her district.  

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/its-not-in-my-district-aoc-shrugs-off-question-about-nyc-school-being-shut-down-to-house-migrants/

So.....she said it wasn't going to be a long term solution, and in fact the migrants were relocated the same week.

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Gage County said:

160 years after the Emancipation Proclamation and they're fretting over who's going to pick their crops.

Are you saying that immigrants coming here by choice and working in the fields and being paid for the work (more than they would be able to make in their country of origin) and them wanting to stay here... is in some way akin to slavery of african Americans in our past?

I'm not saying there aren't employment issues involved with the immigrants.  But.....they aren't the same.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are you saying that immigrants coming here by choice and working in the fields and being paid for the work (more than they would be able to make in their country of origin) and them wanting to stay here... is in some way akin to slavery of african Americans in our past?

I'm not saying there aren't employment issues involved with the immigrants.  But.....they aren't the same.

Let alone the little gotcha moment like "they're fretting over" slave labor when Nadler would be one of the first to advocate for fair wages and working conditions.  

Years ago I worked a seasonal position with about 40 migrants, most from the same family.  We all had free housing and were paid the same.  They all told me they'd go back home in the winter and live the good life.  If ever a member of their family was caught loafing or not pulling their weight at work they'd run them off.  They didn't want that reputation connected to their family as they valued their job situation so much.  It was hard work for sure but far from slave labor.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
33 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Let alone the little gotcha moment like "they're fretting over" slave labor when Nadler would be one of the first to advocate for fair wages and working conditions.  

Years ago I worked a seasonal position with about 40 migrants, most from the same family.  We all had free housing and were paid the same.  They all told me they'd go back home in the winter and live the good life.  If ever a member of their family was caught loafing or not pulling their weight at work they'd run them off.  They didn't want that reputation connected to their family as they valued their job situation so much.  It was hard work for sure but far from slave labor.  

Yes, I tease my immigrant friends all the time this time of year.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How is that any different than the House bill being DOA in the Senate but we don’t hear a peep about it from Filidorkski’s paper saying Democrats have zero interest in fixing the border?  

I think a whole bunch of Democrats are for comprehensive immigration reform, including the border. Problem is, anytime they bring up anything that doesn’t sound solely and exactly like “build the wall”, all Republicans hear is open borders. If the Rs got their wall, they would pat themselves on the back and walk away from the problem. So tell me, who really has less interest in fixing immigration?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I think a whole bunch of Democrats are for comprehensive immigration reform, including the border. Problem is, anytime they bring up anything that doesn’t sound solely and exactly like “build the wall”, all Republicans hear is open borders. If the Rs got their wall, they would pat themselves on the back and walk away from the problem. So tell me, who really has less interest in fixing immigration?

Both parties are basically not interested.  Both parties put poison pills in their respective bills, though Dems will always find some big business Republican/‘s to go along with a highly Dem proposal to get the cheap labor and call it partisan.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Both parties are basically not interested.  Both parties put poison pills in their respective bills, though Dems will always find some big business Republican/‘s to go along with a highly Dem proposal to get the cheap labor and call it partisan.   

The bigger problem is, neither side seems willing to do anything the other side might remotely be for. Like right now, there is no way in hell the Rs will allow anything to be done on immigration. They need it to remain a s#!t sandwich for the election. Helluva way to run a country. Representative government my a$$. It is 100% driven by self interest by a bunch of corrupt greedy f#&%s.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The bigger problem is, neither side seems willing to do anything the other side might remotely be for. Like right now, there is no way in hell the Rs will allow anything to be done on immigration. They need it to remain a s#!t sandwich for the election. Helluva way to run a country. Representative government my a$$. It is 100% driven by self interest by a bunch of corrupt greedy f#&%s.

Not doubting what you are saying.  However the same thing happens when an R is President but people just don’t want to admit it.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Not doubting what you are saying.  However the same thing happens when an R is President but people just don’t want to admit it.  

I agree. I didn’t say otherwise. Although I do think the Rs have taken it to a new level and are more effective (if you can call it that) with the obstructionism. Maybe it’s just that they tend to be a little more cohesive within their ranks. It pisses me off both ways. What’s best for the country and their constituents doesn’t seem to be considered. It’s all about gaining and retaining power.