Children and immigration reform

20 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I dunno...this sounds pretty spot on:

“I abhor Russia’s brutal and bloody invasion of that nation,” Kennedy said, according to ABC News. “But we must understand that our government has also contributed to its circumstances through repeated deliberate provocations of Russia going back to the 1990s.”

Such as?

• TBH 1

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No….it doesn’t. But, your party wants you to think it does. 

The real crackdown doesn’t happen until an AVERAGE of 5,000 encounters a day happen.   The actual bill wants me to think it does.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What happens to person 1-4,999 each day that tries to cross illegally with this new proposal?  Do they all get deported or diverted to a port of entry?  Why does it take 5,000 encounters a day, on average, to get strong legislation?  Put the number down to below what we had before Biden and maybe you got something to work with.  

I  noticed Steve pointed out we already had Title 42 and enforcement is going backward from that. 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 2
35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah…..we should make these kids pay for their own legal fees. 

Thats the America I want to live in. 

These clowns probably want more taxpayer funds funneled towards paying for golf trips or hotel/resort stays for their corrupt orange Messiah.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Imagine ten years ago someone told you a border security bill that Mitch McConnell, Joe Biden and the Border Patrol themselves had endorsed would fail because Donald Trump and the GOP rank and file would claim it’s not sufficiently conservative.

You’d probably ask if they needed medical attention.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, SECHusker said:

The cost of preventing a direct conflict with an expansionist Russia is high, but the cost of a direct conflict with Russia is higher.

I get this BUT there will be no direct conflict with Russia unless Russia just wants to be totally wiped out.

Secondly, Russia can only go so far, this is not the 1930's, Poland is not a doormat and would ruin Russia.

While I think RFK is correct, we are spending way more than needed, mostly because other countries are lame AF...I also love that idea of those commies being so weak in a year that Poland can all but decide what do with russia.

russia created an impossible situation for themselves.  Everyone knows they are weak and pathetic now.  But if they pull out of this war, it will look even lamer for them.  If they stay in it, they only get weaker.  They painted themselves in a corner.  There is no help, there is no aid.  There is only the end to all of this...and it ends with those commies falling.

It is one thing to be weak and no one knows it.  It is another to be weak and everyone knows it.  There are no more long cold winters that can save them.

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get this BUT there will be no direct conflict with Russia unless Russia just wants to be totally wiped out.

Secondly, Russia can only go so far, this is not the 1930's, Poland is not a doormat and would ruin Russia.

While I think RFK is correct, we are spending way more than needed, mostly because other countries are lame AF...I also love that idea of those commies being so weak in a year that Poland can all but decide what do with russia.

russia created an impossible situation for themselves.  Everyone knows they are weak and pathetic now.  But if they pull out of this war, it will look even lamer for them.  If they stay in it, they only get weaker.  They painted themselves in a corner.  There is no help, there is no aid.  There is only the end to all of this...and it ends with those commies falling.

It is one thing to be weak and no one knows it.  It is another to be weak and everyone knows it.  There are no more long cold winters that can save them.

Russia is weak, but they are also a nuclear power with a weak leader that may lash out if cornered. There is a reason nuclear powers have never been in direct conflict. 

If Poland is attacked by Russia, the US is going to war as well, since Poland is a NATO member. May sound callous but I would prefer Ukrainian troops make the sacrifice, then potentially risking US soldiers. While Russia is weak, in a direct conflict with US there will certainly be US casualties.

Regarding the amount of money given, a lot is to replenish our own stockpiles. Not to mention if $100B+ neuters Russia and diminishes there capabilities to the point they are no longer threat, then it's money well spent.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Russia is weak, but they are also a nuclear power with a weak leader that may lash out if cornered. There is a reason nuclear powers have never been in direct conflict. 

If Poland is attacked by Russia, the US is going to war as well, since Poland is a NATO member. May sound callous but I would prefer Ukrainian troops make the sacrifice, then potentially risking US soldiers. While Russia is weak, in a direct conflict with US there will certainly be US casualties.

Regarding the amount of money given, a lot is to replenish our own stockpiles. Not to mention if $100B+ neuters Russia and diminishes there capabilities to the point they are no longer threat, then it's money well spent.

Poland has so many allies, Russia will never go near Poland.  Poland will be dictating what goes on.

Those commies are toast.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

The issue with this deeply flawed CATO Analysis is that it assumes that Ukraine belongs in the Russian sphere of influence, and that the 2014 coup was led by Western countries including the United States, with the assumption of NATO expansion without any evidence. They act like the coup was orchestrated by the West and was not desired by the people of Ukraine.

This is deeply flawed because the 2014 coup was widely supported by the population of Ukraine. They chose to ally themselves closer to Western Europe because it's better than the long term future. Russia does not have a right to decide for them.

To compare why the people of Ukraine made that choice, lets compare 5 former Soviet Republics.

The Baltic States - Former Soviet Republics; now NATO Countries allied with the West

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Current Russian Satellite States

Belarus

Ukraine

Lets compare the GDP Per Capita of these 5 countries, and let me know if you notice anything about them

GDP Per Capita in 1995 and in 2022 (According the World Bank)

Lithuania -  1995: $2167  ---->  2022: $25,064

Latvia - 1995: $2329 ----->  2022: $21,779

Estonia - 1995: $3134 -----> 2022: $29,247

Belarus - 1995: $900  -----> 2022: $7,888

Ukraine -  1995: $1265  -----> 2022: $4,534

The people of Ukraine simply made an obvious choice: it sucks to be poor. They want to ally themselves with the West because the data speaks for itself. That doesn't mean that Ukraine doesn't have it's problems; they have a long road to ending their corruption. But make no mistake, the people choose their destiny. Russia saw it as a threat to their ultra-Nationalist and long term goals, so they invaded.

It has nothing to do with the United States, NATO, or the West. It has everything to do with that it sucks to be Russia, allied with Russia, or to be neighboring Russia.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The issue with this deeply flawed CATO Analysis is that it assumes that Ukraine belongs in the Russian sphere of influence, and that the 2014 coup was led by Western countries including the United States, with the assumption of NATO expansion without any evidence. They act like the coup was orchestrated by the West and was not desired by the people of Ukraine.

This is deeply flawed because the 2014 coup was widely supported by the population of Ukraine. They chose to ally themselves closer to Western Europe because it's better than the long term future. Russia does not have a right to decide for them.

To compare why the people of Ukraine made that choice, lets compare 5 former Soviet Republics.

The Baltic States - Former Soviet Republics; now NATO Countries allied with the West

Lithuania

Latvia

Estonia

Current Russian Satellite States

Belarus

Ukraine

Lets compare the GDP Per Capita of these 5 countries, and let me know if you notice anything about them

GDP Per Capita in 1995 and in 2022 (According the World Bank)

Lithuania -  1995: $2167  ---->  2022: $25,064

Latvia - 1995: $2329 ----->  2022: $21,779

Estonia - 1995: $3134 -----> 2022: $29,247

Belarus - 1995: $900  -----> 2022: $7,888

Ukraine -  1995: $1265  -----> 2022: $4,534

The people of Ukraine simply made an obvious choice: it sucks to be poor. They want to ally themselves with the West because the data speaks for itself. That doesn't mean that Ukraine doesn't have it's problems; they have a long road to ending their corruption. But make no mistake, the people choose their destiny. Russia saw it as a threat to their ultra-Nationalist and long term goals, so they invaded.

It has nothing to do with the United States, NATO, or the West. It has everything to do with that it sucks to be Russia, allied with Russia, or to be neighboring Russia.

I do think it is absolutely hilarious that people use "Ukrainian corruption" as a scapegoat as to why we shouldn't fund or shouldn't support them, when the US government certainly has more that its fair share of corruption on the Supreme Court,  in the Presidency, and in both houses of Congress. In fact, it's so bad that two Republican administrations ago (GW) the Republican senate and stacked Supreme Court respectively passed and upheld Citizens United to legalize corruption, and there are still ones that can't stay within the boundaries of the law. What's more, your telling me  lthat no other country that we continously shell out money to or would go to war on behalf of has any less corruption than Ukraine? Bull crap. Anyone citing that as an excuse is only repeating Trumps nonsense gibberish to justify holding Trumps jock so that he can hold Putins. But hey, truth, justice and the American way is the only thing of the past that apparently doesn't Make America Great Again huh boys? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1