Fresno State Discussion

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

Exactly. I have no idea why some here are framing this as a tough game.

They aren't framing it as a tough game, they are saying that it could be closer than it should, and it wouldn't be just because Nebraska sucks.

• Fire 1

Just to throw my two cents in......just curious, are we framing the Fresno St. game as a possible loss to somehow dampen the insane reaction Huskerboard, and Nebraska fans in general, would have if we somehow manged to lose that game?

I would ask the converse:

Are those who are insisting that all Nebraska has to do is show up and they'll roll Fresno State setting themselves up so they will still have something to complain about should Nebraska not win as far as they claim we should?

i would ask the inverse:

are those who are insisting that fresno is good because they are picked to win their conference setting themselves up so when we roll fresno they can act like it is a bigger win than it really is?

Over the last few years, teams that have lost one or fewer MWC conference game have beaten 10-2 Northern Illinois, played USC to three points, played Michigan State to four points, beaten Washington, beaten Georgia by 14, beaten Arizona State by 32, beaten Oregon State, and beaten Wisconsin. So I think being projected as a top MWC team is a lot more reason to consider someone a threat than it is to dismiss them because of their conference.

So? The Mastermind from Boise is now in Washington. Utah is in the Pac12, and TCU is in the Big12. Utah State is probably the best team in the MWC with their star QB coming back off injury. And for these lower tier conferences, losing a long term starting QB is typically devastating to the following season. Fresno was winning games in shootouts last year vs better or equal talent. Take away the QB who was drafted in the second round, and expect that scoring total to drop dramatically against better teams.

People really need to look at real info before making picks for games, and previous season record means next to nothing.

Boise is the best team in the MWC.

But hey, add Utah st to the mix with SDSU, Boise, and Fresno, and maybe Fresno is a middle of the pack MWC team......

I'm reminded of people worrying about Southern Miss in 2012 because they were decent in 2011. Although, all the reasons they were decent in 2011 were no longer there in 2012.

More or less the same kind of situation here. I don't think they'll be as bad as Southern Miss was that year, but they certainly shouldn't be considered "a threat". If Nebraska shows up on time and acts like they want to play football that night, they win, by several scores.

They aren't framing it as a tough game, they are saying that it could be closer than it should, and it wouldn't be just because Nebraska sucks.

If it's not a tough game, and Nebraska doesn't suck, then why is it close in this scenario?

If it's not a tough game, and Nebraska doesn't suck, then why is it close in this scenario?

Because a situation where Bo is held accountable for an underachieving moment is anathema to some.

• Fire 6

Overlooking the opponent, for one, just like every other top team does now and then (yes, I know, "it seems to happen more frequently here").

Nebraska can't finish drives, we get wore out by the 4th quarter due to being a late game, FSU has a rouge pick 6, rouge scoop and score, key Nebraska player gets hurt during the game, Nebraska can't pass protect, Nebraska can't run block, TA throws 3 picks, AA fumbles a lot, Fresno successfully runs multiple trick plays, Fresno ground and pounds the game into a "shortened" game, Fresno hits a Hail Mary, or Nebraska's secondary can't play the pass just to name a few.

Nebraska can't finish drives, we get wore out by the 4th quarter due to being a late game, FSU has a rouge pick 6, rouge scoop and score, key Nebraska player gets hurt during the game, Nebraska can't pass protect, Nebraska can't run block, TA throws 3 picks, AA fumbles a lot, Fresno successfully runs multiple trick plays, Fresno ground and pounds the game into a "shortened" game, Fresno hits a Hail Mary, or Nebraska's secondary can't play the pass just to name a few.

If that scenario plays out, then I stand my original statement that NU will struggle to make a bowl.

In other words, Nebraska sucks?

Flat out. If Nebraska loses to Fresno State whethsr they go 7-5 or 11-1, it will majorly suck and likely be the catalyst for a down year and a coaching change. Even if its the only game we lose and they win their cconference nobody will respect us because they will be thinking "They are good, but they lost to that Fresno team."

I am saying if ONE of any of those occur the game will be closer than it should. Some people act like Nebraska will steamroll everything outside the the majors and there are no acceptable reasons otherwise. It only takes one thing to go wrong to turn a cakewalk into a did you team X struggle.