Fresno State Discussion

No I'm saying Bo has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches.

I think that's a pretty naive statement too. I'd bet expectations before Devaney were fairly low, and even under Bill there was a lowered set of expectations compared to the previous 2 coaches. You're going to find a group like that all throughout the program's history.

It boils down to whether or not you think the minimum requirements have been met the last 6 years. But we've had this discussion a hundred times, so there's no sense in hashing it out again, because nobody is changing their minds until the season happens. I would think that topic would get boring, but apparently that's all some people can talk about. :dunno

kinda reaching there, maybe?

Uh.... no?

Slide into obscurity (1942–61)[edit]

Nebraska was led by three head coaches during the war years, with a scarcity of players available as so many of the country's young men were abroad and at war. By 1945, the year the war ended, the Cornhuskers recorded a losing 11-24-0 (0.314) record.

The situation did not improve after the war, as Bernie Masterson (1946–47, 5-13-0, 0.278) recorded the worst head coach career winning percentage ever compiled at Nebraska in his first and only head football coaching appointment. Previous head coach George Clark (1945 & 1948, 6-13-0, 0.316), a veteran of both world wars with an extensive coaching pedigree and who led Nebraska in the final war season of 1945, returned as Nebraska's coach for 1948 temporarily as a search was made for his successor, prior to his ascension to Athletic Director at Nebraska.

Clark hired Bill Glassford (1949–55, 50-40-4, 0.553), and Nebraska's performance improved somewhat over previous years, especially after the 6-2-1 1950 season, and Nebraska's second-ever bowl appearance, a 7-34 loss to Duke in the 1955 Orange Bowl.

Following Glassford, Pete Elliott, a star quarterback who led Michigan to the 1948 national championship, arrived at Nebraska for his first ever head coaching appointment. Although he would go on to achieve successes later in his career, he recorded a 4-6-0 (0.400) record in his one year at Nebraska. His replacement, Bill Jennings (1957–61, 15-34-1, 0.310) fared even worse at the helm, his final career record with the Cornhuskers being the lowest of all but three of Nebraska's coaches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football

But you're more than welcome to prove me wrong (in another thread that's not about Fresno).

My point is not that we are bad or Bo is bad at his job. My point is that we as a group seem to demand less of this coach than others in the past. He has embarrassed us in many ways, by actions, comments. It is time for him to deliver what he has promised since day one.

Bingo. There isn't a coach in Nebraska's history that would have had a group of people framing a game against Fresno St as anything but an expected blowout.

So, you're saying Bo's the worst coach in Nebraska history?

That's pretty hyperbolic, even for you.

No I'm saying Bo has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches.

When Bob Devaney went 6-4 in consecutive seasons, fans started getting itchy. He toughed out some less-than-worthy quarterbacks, brought in Tom Osborne, revamped the offense and found glory in his 9th & 10th seasons.

When Tom Osborne was losing three games a year, and getting blown out by our main conference rival, a sizeable contingent considered it unacceptable. Except for the other sizeable contingent that wanted to reward his consistency, back when 9 - 3 seasons still landed Nebraska in the Top 20. Nothing close? That's pretty close.

Everyone seemed to agree Frank Solich's 7 - 7 season was unacceptable, and so were Bill Callahan's 5 - 6 and 5 -7 seasons. Nebraska should never have a losing season and should never miss a bowl game.

Like it or not, Polo, Bo has met those expectations. You are guilty of hyperbole. Don't make me drag Bill Jennings in here.

And honestly, I don't think even the Bo-lievers consider never-ending 4 loss seasons expected or acceptible. Everybody wants to see more out of Bo. But your hyperbole and predictibility have a way making people who agree with you argue with you instead.

• Fire 5

And honestly, I don't think even the Bo-lievers consider never-ending 4 loss seasons expected or acceptible. Everybody wants to see more out of Bo. But your hyperbole and predictibility have a way making people who agree with you argue with you instead.

Bingo.

• Fire 1

My point is not that we are bad or Bo is bad at his job. My point is that we as a group seem to demand less of this coach than others in the past. He has embarrassed us in many ways, by actions, comments. It is time for him to deliver what he has promised since day one.

Bingo. There isn't a coach in Nebraska's history that would have had a group of people framing a game against Fresno St as anything but an expected blowout.

Like it or not, Polo, Bo has met those expectations..

Well almost. I can't get rid of 52 to 17, 62 to 28, 48 to 17, 45 to 17, 63 to 35 and 70 to 31 embarrassing losses.

Face it, you guys and I was spoiled. Almost every schools posted 4-losses per seasons will be happy as a lark.

When Bob Devaney went 6-4 in consecutive seasons, fans started getting itchy. He toughed out some less-than-worthy quarterbacks, brought in Tom Osborne, revamped the offense and found glory in his 9th & 10th seasons.

When Tom Osborne was losing three games a year, and getting blown out by our main conference rival, a sizeable contingent considered it unacceptable. Except for the other sizeable contingent that wanted to reward his consistency, back when 9 - 3 seasons still landed Nebraska in the Top 20. Nothing close? That's pretty close.

Everyone seemed to agree Frank Solich's 7 - 7 season was unacceptable, and so were Bill Callahan's 5 - 6 and 5 -7 seasons. Nebraska should never have a losing season and should never miss a bowl game.

Like it or not, Polo, Bo has met those expectations. You are guilty of hyperbole. Don't make me drag Bill Jennings in here.

Bo hasn't even met his own expectations.

And people referencing Bill Jennings or Osborne BEFORE he raised the bar as proof I'm being hyperbolic is hysterical.

You say: "There isn't a coach in Nebraska's history that would ..."

... and then are critical of someone actually talking about the Huskers' history of coaches:

So we are referencing 50 years ago to defend Bo in 2014. Interesting.

Interesting, indeed.

• Fire 2

And people referencing Bill Jennings or Osborne BEFORE he raised the bar as proof I'm being hyperbolic is hysterical.

You're right, Polo. Your post simply said - a bit awkwardly - that Bo "has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches."

By using the word "some" you can't possibly be wrong. Although "nothing close" isn't what "some" would call accurate.

I guess you can throw out everything before the bar at Nebraska was raised, but if we're measuring expectations against the '94 - '97 run even God would roll His eyes.

Bo admits he hasn't met his own expectations. Everyone here seems to agree. Who are you arguing with? Who is this "some" person?

There's a difference between demanding more from Bo Pelni and wanting him fired yesterday and replaced by a spare ACE bandage.

That's the line you're walking here.

Back on topic: Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne wouldn't dream of looking past Fresno State.

... and then are critical of someone actually talking about the Huskers' history of coaches:

Interesting, indeed.

If I clarify and say "in Nebraska's recent history" does that appease Semanticsboard.com and their angry Gods?

You're right, Polo. Your post simply said - a bit awkwardly - that Bo "has some that expect nothing close to what the expectations were for other Nebraska coaches."

By using the word "some" you can't possibly be wrong. Although "nothing close" isn't what "some" would call accurate.

I guess you can throw out everything before the bar at Nebraska was raised, but if we're measuring expectations against the '94 - '97 run even God would roll His eyes.

Bo admits he hasn't met his own expectations. Everyone here seems to agree. Who are you arguing with? Who is this "some" person?

There's a difference between demanding more from Bo Pelni and wanting him fired yesterday and replaced by a spare ACE bandage.

That's the line you're walking here.

Back on topic: Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne wouldn't dream of looking past Fresno State.

I think an Ace bandage would be a very poor coach for the record.

I'm tired of "fix it" for every media pressers. Bo was never said "machine is oiled".

Who's better, Frank or Bo ?

FRANKBILLBO1_zpsb9f3e975.jpg

Oh well, back to Fresno State discussions. I'd rather facing Boise State instead of FSU with or without Carr. Something like California schools recent NU history; USC, UCLA, and now Fresno. I was worried about Cal-Davis if scheduled. Could be CA air.

Interesting, indeed.

If I clarify and say "in Nebraska's recent history" does that appease Semanticsboard.com and their angry Gods?
You're just as guilty of this as everyone else. And just so you know, semantics are pretty important when trying to make a point in an argument. Nice effort changing the wording to your point and then blaming it on semantics, though.
  • Fire 2

So are you saying no coach in Nebraska's history, no coach since Osborne won his championships or basically no coach +/- one year from a national championship? Because you've argued all three.
  • Fire 3