Fresno State Discussion

I'm saying we should easily win against Fresno.

I'm saying if Nebraska loses to Fresno, Bo should probably be fired.

I'm saying that, outside of Bill Jennings, and the early years of Bob Devaney, there is not a coach of. Nebraska who would have a group of fans trying their damnedest to prove that Fresno St is somehow a threat in any way to Nebraska.

I'm saying that I can't believe the efforts some are making to point my statements about Fresno as evidence that it's ok if it's a close game against Fresno.

• Fire 1

I'm saying that, outside of Bill Jennings, and the early years of Bob Devaney, there is not a coach of. Nebraska who would have a group of fans trying their damnedest to prove that Fresno St is somehow a threat in any way to Nebraska.

I'm saying that I can't believe the efforts some are making to point my statements about Fresno as evidence that it's ok if it's a close game against Fresno.

I don't understand why it's not ok to have a close game against Fresno. A close win might actually help the Huskers in the long run.

I don't understand why it's not ok to have a close game against Fresno. A close win might actually help the Huskers in the long run.

Because Fresno is not good. Fresno has but a fraction of the commitment to winning that Nebraska employs. Fresno is a Mountain West school while Nebraska is in an AQ conference. Fresno does not have purportedly a Heisman candidate RB, a top five draft pick DE, and a slew of other players people here want to call good and ready to make the jump to win said AQ conference. Fresno doesn't have a coach that got up in front of a microphone at the aforementioned AQ conference media day and declare "they're ready for a championship".

All of these things spell a team that should calmly stroll into the sweat bucket that is Fresno, CA, and drop a beating on Fresno State.

Because Fresno is not good. Fresno has but a fraction of the commitment to winning that Nebraska employs. Fresno is a Mountain West school while Nebraska is in an AQ conference. Fresno does not have purportedly a Heisman candidate RB, a top five draft pick DE, and a slew of other players people here want to call good and ready to make the jump to win said AQ conference. Fresno doesn't have a coach that got up in front of a microphone at the aforementioned AQ conference media day and declare "they're ready for a championship".

All of these things spell a team that should calmly stroll into the sweat bucket that is Fresno, CA, and drop a beating on Fresno State.

Too bad. You had a nice chance to slip out of this.

Seriously, there's not a coach in the NCAA who wouldn't be concerned about a game at Fresno State and warn his players and fans accordingly. Because savvy folks know Fresno State has a recent history of giving teams like UCLA, Washington, K-State, USC, Oregon and Texas A&M fits, sometimes even beating them on the road. People who pay attention know that Fresno State actually has a huge commitment to winning, a potentially maddening offense, and tends to play better as underdogs against major programs than they do in their own mid-major conference. Those with Wikipedia skills know that Fresno State currently has 27 former players in the NFL. Patronize Fresno State at your peril.

Every year multiple Top Ten programs, each with a coach you'd prefer over Bo Pelini, will either be upset by a team they should have crushed, or slip out with a narrow, maybe even embarrassing victory. These prestige teams will go on to beat better teams. The Fresno State kinda games mean little without the context of the whole season.

I get that you'd like to fire Bo Pelini in-season if he doesn't post a certain margin of victory in the third game. I'm not going to argue that expectations for Nebraska have dropped. I'll just suggest that the situation is hardly unique to Nebraska and you need to wait till the end of the season to declare anything with frothy assurity.

• Fire 6

I'll still take 63-0, though.

Too bad. You had a nice chance to slip out of this.

Seriously, there's not a coach in the NCAA who wouldn't be concerned about a game at Fresno State and warn his players and fans accordingly. Because savvy folks know Fresno State has a recent history of giving teams like UCLA, Washington, K-State, USC, Oregon and Texas A&M fits, sometimes even beating them on the road. People who pay attention know that Fresno State actually has a huge commitment to winning, a potentially maddening offense, and tends to play better as underdogs against major programs than they do in their own mid-major conference. Those with Wikipedia skills know that Fresno State currently has 27 former players in the NFL. Patronize Fresno State at your peril.

Every year multiple Top Ten programs, each with a coach you'd prefer over Bo Pelini, will either be upset by a team they should have crushed, or slip out with a narrow, maybe even embarrassing victory. These prestige teams will go on to beat better teams. The Fresno State kinda games mean little without the context of the whole season.

I get that you'd like to fire Bo Pelini in-season if he doesn't post a certain margin of victory in the third game. I'm not going to argue that expectations for Nebraska have dropped. I'll just suggest that the situation is hardly unique to Nebraska and you need to wait till the end of the season to declare anything with frothy assurity.

Valid and legit point ......

- recent history of giving teams like UCLA, Washington, K-State, USC, Oregon and Texas A&M fits

- Fresno State currently has 27 former players in the NFL

Not mention 2013 Coaches polls .... Fresno made Top25 most weeks.

However sometimes I totally agreed for NUpolo post. I'm a flip-flop guy.

Anyway, if Nebraska loses to FSU (I say 50-50 chance), Bo will become a hot seat HC, again.

So, basically you think Fresno St. is not a good team and that the Huskers should never struggle against "not good" teams. Even on the road.

I disagree. I remember TO's 1993 team that went on to play for the national title winning by 1 against unranked UCLA and Kansas. And that was before scholarship limits and parity.

• Fire 1

So, basically you think Fresno St. is not a good team and that the Huskers should never struggle against "not good" teams. Even on the road.

I disagree. I remember TO's 1993 team that went on to play for the national title winning by 1 against unranked UCLA and Kansas. And that was before scholarship limits and parity.

so we should struggle against fresno?

No, we shouldn't.

But, if we don't win by 3 scores, that doesn't mean panic.

As has been said.

• Fire 1

That UCLA team finished in the top 20 and played in the Rose Bowl.....not exactly a weak opponent, Kansas was bad though.

The team that was. Pat Hill was the coach when these close upsets happened, not the rain man that they have now. Pat could motivate the kids, get them ready and mean for the upper crust of college football. He would have made a hell of a coach at Nebraska, I have always liked him. And he is no choirboy either. Reminded me so much of Devaney.

I am not worried about this game in the slightest, do not want Bo fired, but I am really tired of the sorry assed excuses some come up with. We should win this game going away if we have any type of defense. Fresno State is sandlot football, not anywhere near the talent that we have or should have.

If Pat Hill was still the coach, I would be concerned, but he was the motor that drove them to those close games and upsets. They were stupid and fired him.

I am sure it will be hot, but it is not the humid hot. A dry heat. Our kids have played in hot weather with humidity for the summer. They will be fine.

Have faith Husker nation, this is not the team to have all this concern about. Like I said though if this one is close or we lose, way more problems are ahead this year, this will only be the beginning of it.

No. But if we do, I'm not going to push the panic button.