Aaron Curry transferring

Flies in the face of other reports that Curry was working with the 2's and occasionally the 1's, and also PaulCrewe's suggestion that he and Bo weren't getting along and this was a long time coming.

I like Sipple in that he is measured when he talks about players, but this I'm not sure about.

Still, oh well. It seems too bad that Curry made the choice. But how much can you really say for a player that, no matter the circumstances or his previous potential, decides to quit and walk away?

It may be worth a mention this can be an indicative of the emphasis and intensity put on defensive line recruiting. Pelini has referred to previous redshirting decisions that he might think twice about. It's very possible there is enough depth to not have another Cam Meredith situation. It's not always a bad sign when a player transfers......instead it might indicate some real talent in front of him.

Looking at our DT depth - I'm not sure if that's the case this time around.

For this year I would agree, although looks like Rath could be a pleasant surprise (he transferred in from scholarship at one of the SD schools). But looking at next year and the year after the depth is excellent.

2015: Do not lose anyone.....VV RSJR, Collins JR, Williams RSSR, Maurice JR, Logan Rath JR (I think), Newell RSFR, Khalil Davis FR, Carlos Davis FR.

2016: VV RSSR, Collins SR, Maurice SR, Logan Rath SR, Newell RSSOPH, Khalil Davis RSFR, Carlos Davis RSFR....whoever we recruit next year.

It may be worth a mention this can be an indicative of the emphasis and intensity put on defensive line recruiting. Pelini has referred to previous redshirting decisions that he might think twice about. It's very possible there is enough depth to not have another Cam Meredith situation. It's not always a bad sign when a player transfers......instead it might indicate some real talent in front of him.

Looking at our DT depth - I'm not sure if that's the case this time around.

Correct......you are not sure, nor am I......but it appears Curry might have fallen to 3rd string. Logan Rath might have overtaken him and there are freshmen like Peyton Newell that we don't know specifics about. It "appears" though, we still have better depth (not to mention a better front four across the board) than at any time in the Pelini era.

What happened to the team first mentality? Sounds like Aaron Green all over again.If you can't win the job,just move on to the next school? see ya!!

Players only have a finite amount of time to play at this level and make the most of their experience. If, for whatever reason, they believe another university is a better option for them, I don't think any of us have any right to say what they can or can't do. Sometimes, you have to be a little selfish.

Flies in the face of other reports that Curry was working with the 2's and occasionally the 1's, and also PaulCrewe's suggestion that he and Bo weren't getting along and this was a long time coming.

I don't think it's a stretch that the #5 guy would be working a lot with the 2s. And there have been reports of several guys who are likely down the depth chart a ways getting a shot with the 1s here and there.

I think VV and Collins are pretty set as the 1s and Williams, Curry and Maurice were working as the #2 unit. I didn't have a good feel that any of those three were above or below any of the others. I would have guessed Curry as above Maurice just based on last year but if that's been changing recently and he thought he was the #5 guy, it wouldn't surprise me.

What happened to the team first mentality? Sounds like Aaron Green all over again.If you can't win the job,just move on to the next school? see ya!!

Players only have a finite amount of time to play at this level and make the most of their experience. If, for whatever reason, they believe another university is a better option for them, I don't think any of us have any right to say what they can or can't do. Sometimes, you have to be a little selfish.

Plus, if he is transferring to TCU (which is now rumored) he stays in a BCS conference and goes to a school that is 30 minutes from where he went to high school.

It's tough for these kids who go far away from home to stay at those schools if they aren't playing.

I think VV and Collins are pretty set as the 1s and Williams, Curry and Maurice were working as the #2 unit. I didn't have a good feel that any of those three were above or below any of the others. I would have guessed Curry as above Maurice just based on last year but if that's been changing recently and he thought he was the #5 guy, it wouldn't surprise me.

I can't imagine the gap between the 3 would be all that large. #5 one day, #3 the next. This smells like something other than just the depth chart.

I am just happy that we are 320/300 on the interior. First time we've been that big since we switched conferences. We've been undersized for quite some time - this could be an entirely new look on the line. Speed off the edges, bulldozers in the middle.

• Fire 1

Valentine, Collins, Williams, Maurice, Payton Newell has the size and potential to slide inside McMullen could slide inside if in a emergency situation. if you told me i could pick a position to have somebody transfer from i would pick defensive tackle all day. don't want quitters like this on the team anyways. see ya later not going to miss him a bit.

Logan Rath had a sack in the Spring Game, so if he can just do that every game, we will be OK. Joking aside, he had press in the Spring of a strong camp and some tidbits this fall, so hopefully he is a servicable back up.

On the recruiting front, does the loss of Curry make us maybe look for a Juco DT? With Valetine's prototypical size, a strong season could see him leave early.

On the recruiting front, does the loss of Curry make us maybe look for a Juco DT? With Valetine's prototypical size, a strong season could see him leave early.

Maybe if they have 3 to play, but it will be hard to find a guy wanting to come in when they'll likely just be sitting behind VV and Collins for their 2 years here. Be nice for depth, but don't see us being able to grab an impact JUCO so might as well just go the HS route.