Kevin Williams injured

I don't think Foster's move is permanent. First of all, Pelini said it's not. Second with Newell this year and the Davis twins next year, we are in good shape at DT for some time.

This is what bothers me with Pelini some times. If it's not permanent, and the intention is to get him back at guard - coupled with the likelyhood that he won't be playing any snaps at DT anyway, what's the point of moving him and taking away 1-2 weeks of education...perhaps his best chance to improve on the OL during the entire season? Moving kids in fall camp is a major setback, and this move seems like nothing more than having a body there so he can run a second defense.

I don't think Foster's move is permanent. First of all, Pelini said it's not. Second with Newell this year and the Davis twins next year, we are in good shape at DT for some time.

This is what bothers me with Pelini some times. If it's not permanent, and the intention is to get him back at guard - coupled with the likelyhood that he won't be playing any snaps at DT anyway, what's the point of moving him and taking away 1-2 weeks of education...perhaps his best chance to improve on the OL during the entire season? Moving kids in fall camp is a major setback, and this move seems like nothing more than having a body there so he can run a second defense.

The kid is a freshman. I don't think his growth at OL will be stunted

• Fire 1

A couple of things to consider on this. First, Bo said that the move is not going to be a permanent move long term UNLESS DJ wants to stay at DT. I also don't see this as a 2 week thing, it will be for this year. DJ is a true Fr. so playing 1 year at DT then moving back to OG if he wants I don't think will be bad for him. Depth on the O-Line is pretty good right now, knock on wood, so if he wants to go back to OG, he could even RS next year if he wants to get back into playing OG for a year and then compete for a spot in the 2 deep two fall camps from now.

A few thoughts on Foster's move (be it temporary or permanent)

1. I commend Foster for taking the "team first" attitude and doing what it takes to help out the team, even if it may stunt his growth on the O-line.

2. Foster was most likely going to redshirt this year, and would have spent most of the year as a scout team O-linemen. His practice time during the season would have been mostly being an "opponent" for the defense. His reps with the real NU offense would have been minimal. I don't think this will hurt his future at O-line.

3. If Foster gets to the D-line, he does well at it, and he enjoys that position, he can probably stick there for the future. We have seen that we can't have enough bodies on the D-line the past few years.

• Fire 1

Perhaps experience as a DT might be excellent "education" for a future on the OL?

I guess I don't have a problem taking a guy who is very unlikely to play at his designated position this year because of the depth at that position and moving him to a different position where we are suddenly not nearly as deep as we expected. I'd rather get him some reps now than have to panic later in the year if something happens to further decrease our depth at DT.

Except it sounds like he will get snaps as the #4 DT.