Why didn't we see more of Cross?

Dagerow

Who is the feature back in 2015 Newby or Cross? Ignoring the other backups for now.

Right now? Cross for sure. He is the most complete back up we have.

I thought Cross played well. He looked faster and quicker to hit the hole. He also did well in pass pro IMO. Unsure who will be "the guy" next year. Still a lot of football to play. I would like to see Cross in the passing game like Marlon Lucky. He would be a load in the open field for a DB to bring down.

• Fire 1

Because Newby is more of a complete back, and Cross can't run the same plays that the offense can do with Ameer and Newby.

This is a crock of crap and total speculation.

How is that speculation? Cross can't really run the outside zone plays, because he doesn't excel in running laterally.

Because you assume that a collegiate running back can't run outside. That's dumb...especially when you look at Cross' film from high school where the toss sweep was a staple. So I find it speculative that he can't run outside...because you haven't a lick of proof that he can't run outside the tackles.

I think the lack of evidence is fairly decent evidence in and of itself. He's into his third year of playing. If they haven't used him in certain situations, the most likely explanation is they'd rather use other backs in those situations.

I really like Cross as a player. I'm glad he's on our team. But he can't do everything the other backs can. He can also do some things they can't. I have no problem with different players having different roles. I don't think this should be so controversial.

I think the lack of evidence is fairly decent evidence in and of itself. He's into his third year of playing. If they haven't used him in certain situations, the most likely explanation is they'd rather use other backs in those situations.

I really like Cross as a player. I'm glad he's on our team. But he can't do everything the other backs can. He can also do some things they can't. I have no problem with different players having different roles. I don't think this should be so controversial.

Totally...I mean, we can tell by what the coaches do EXACTLY what they're thinking.

Yep. That's exactly what I said. Good work.

He's played in every game since he's been here. He now has 143 carries. Why do you think he hasn't run to the outside yet?

He might be used later in the tough games. He is a load and for tired legs in the 4th quarter, after chasing Ameer all day, he could really wreak some havoc. I think the game got away to quickly from the staff. Maybe quicker than they thought it would. We will have a better idea of what they have planned for him in the Miami game. I would have liked to have seen him in their more to. Do not want to see Ameer ran into the ground as we have done to backs in the past.

• Fire 1

Who is the feature back in 2015 Newby or Cross? Ignoring the other backups for now.

Cross is good in both pass pro and as a lead blocker. He's a more complete back than Newby right now. Also keep in mind he only got 3 carries but about 11 ypc.

This. When you have AA taking most of the carries; Cross is only needed for goal line and pass protection/lead blocking. He may not have had carries, but it is obvious he plays a major role, even if it isn't getting to carry the rock.

Newby seems to play more like AA in style of running, but right now Cross is a better complete back.

• Fire 1

Because Newby is more of a complete back, and Cross can't run the same plays that the offense can do with Ameer and Newby.

How is that speculation? Cross can't really run the outside zone plays, because he doesn't excel in running laterally.

Ask Michigan State if he can run the zone read option!

Ask Michigan State if he can run the zone read option!

Here is the video of that run. (Sorry, don't know how to imbed videos, I am a computer idiot.)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9987974

That play is an "inside-zone" read play where, Amani doesn't have to "find a hole". The hole is right in front of him and he just has to accelerate through the hole. To his credit, he hits the hole hard and Michigan State doesn't do a good job of accounting for Cross's speed.

Does anyone remember when Cross almost took a safety last year and he was handed the ball off on an outside-zone run? He ran the ball laterally and it almost ended up in a safety. Everyone said "why would you have Amani running the ball laterally?" This is what I am talking about when you can't run the same types of plays with Ameer/Newby and Cross.

• Fire 2

Choosing to run certain plays with the guy that runs them best or second best doesn't mean the guy that is third in line at it is completely inept. Cross has an All American in front of him as well as another RB with similar skills. I bet Imani can run the full play book. I have confidence in guys with his work ethic and determination. Now can he run it as well as AA? The answer is obvious.