Best season opener under Bo?

Saunders

I will say this....the first time we played FAU we put up nearly the same points with the 09 offense...so my optimism is still tempered. Nice win. Took care of business. We'll see.

The '09 offense was pretty decent until literally everyone on the two deep was playing with an injury.

You thought the 09 offense was decent? I thought it was pretty impotent...

That offense had Helu and Burkhead in the backfield, Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie, Menelik Holt, Currenski, Mike McNeill. Zac Lee could throw the rock when he was healthy, I think prior to the VT game or during he injured it and from then on, all his throws were off target. That made them one dimensional. That, and they were turnover prone. But injury free, aka the first game, they were pretty decent. Not that '09 FAU can be compared to '14 FAU.

If you actually read my comment, you'll see that I said that they were decent until everyone got injured. Every starter and backup (plus some third stringers) on the O-line were injured, Roy Helu Jr. was injured, Rex Burkhead was injured, and Zac Lee was injured. The only people who weren't hurt most of the season were the receivers, and they couldn't catch a ball to save their lives.

That offense had Helu and Burkhead in the backfield, Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie, Menelik Holt, Currenski, Mike McNeill. Zac Lee could throw the rock when he was healthy, I think prior to the VT game or during he injured it and from then on, all his throws were off target. That made them one dimensional. That, and they were turnover prone. But injury free, aka the first game, they were pretty decent. Not that '09 FAU can be compared to '14 FAU.

Yep. Case-in-point, a healthy Zac Lee (who in the previous game had hit 77% of his throws) very likely nails a wide open Curenski Gilleylen for a touchdown against VT. Instead, he threw a dying quail that led Curenski out of bounds. Not that I'm still bitter about it eyeswear2allthatsholy

I will say this....the first time we played FAU we put up nearly the same points with the 09 offense...so my optimism is still tempered. Nice win. Took care of business. We'll see.

The '09 offense was pretty decent until literally everyone on the two deep was playing with an injury.

That "literally" was not the case.

That "literally" was not the case.

Stop being so literal.

The team looked better-prepared throughout the game, and seemed to figure things out in the first game rather than "sometime in the non-conference schedule."

They definitely looked more the part of a team that has focus and purpose in this game more than any other Game 1 in the BPE.

I concur...

The trick is for them to keep up this high level of play. Not just through the next game or the remainder of the non con schedule, but heading into East Lansing. We need to get that swagger back, and hopefully this was just the first step in regaining that attitude...

• Fire 1

Saw reasons to be optimistic while still knowing it's too early to be too optimistic. Much better feeling than "the sky is falling" after the 2013 opener.

I too saw reasons to be optimistic. Not much to add. Would've been nice to see what might have happened if their starting QB didn't leave the game so early. Still, was very impressive way to kick off the season