48 Hours later...

Redux

McNeese is a powerhouse in their tier.

Not really, though. They had a nice 10-3 season last year, but that hardly makes them a "powerhouse". They still got slapped silly by Northern Iowa, Southeastern Louisiana, and Jacksonville State (seriously, you can't make this stuff up) They were 7-4 the year before, and 6-5 the year before that. Let's not make them out to be something they're not.

• Fire 1

Not really, though. They had a nice 10-3 season last year, but that hardly makes them a "powerhouse". They still got slapped silly by Northern Iowa, Southeastern Louisiana, and Jacksonville State (seriously, you can't make this stuff up) They were 7-4 the year before, and 6-5 the year before that. Let's not make them out to be something they're not.

Are they not ranked #6 in the FCS? From what I saw last Saturday they have a pretty promising year ahead of them. Unless of course they take a page out of our book and olay down to a team they should handle.

Are they not ranked #6 in the FCS? From what I saw last Saturday they have a pretty promising year ahead of them. Unless of course they take a page out of our book and olay down to a team they should handle.

Believe what you want I guess, but I think you are really reaching here. Going into the game, why predict this same powerhouse ranked #6 in the FCS to lose 62-6 to the Huskers?

• Fire 1

I understand the OP was a rah-rah let's move past this and we all will or have. But we stunk, there are red flags, and McNeese is not a power.

Why the hell should we dwell on it? We sucked ass. We didnt deserve the win. Well Ameer and Westekamp deserved the win.

What good does beating a dead horse do us. We got the win. All that matters at this point. Were going to have to take that into Cali and crush another crappy team.

Fine, McNeese isnt a powerhouse. Guess the FCS uses a different term Im not aware of when describing top ranked programs?

The red flag should be there. I remember last year, Wyoming coming into our house and giving us all we want. WE were great team, will win their conference, great coach. Well that head coach after embarrassing ours is looking for a job, may have one now. His great job against a National Power did him absolutely no good. That says something to.

McNeese played a great game. But was it a great game against a good team? Only time will tell on that.

I understand the OP was a rah-rah let's move past this and we all will or have. But we stunk, there are red flags, and McNeese is not a power.

Why the hell should we dwell on it? We sucked ass. We didnt deserve the win. Well Ameer and Westekamp deserved the win.

What good does beating a dead horse do us. We got the win. All that matters at this point. Were going to have to take that into Cali and crush another crappy team.

Fine, McNeese isnt a powerhouse. Guess the FCS uses a different term Im not aware of when describing top ranked programs?

Well it's Tuesday after a close call head scratcher. It's usually today or Wednesday by the time we move forward. And I think it's ok for us to get bent out of shape during the moment and discuss, moan, gripe, vent, question, etc. It's part of the excitement of college football and to many fans/people, it is more fun and thrilling than the NFL. I might not like or understand why it was such a close game when we were favored by 4 TDs. I'm glad and relieved we won. McNeese played well, they are a good football team. Happy we played them. Maybe had we won by 17-20 points it would not have been a big deal, instead of 3rd and 6 with under a minute to go and game is tied. Overtime looked very real, and they had momentum. All of that is why we dwell during the season. Off season sucks.

72 hours later- I find myself with more realistic expectations. After the off season and week one FAU I got a little goofy. Thought there was no reason we couldn't make it through the regular with only one or two losses. I now realize that probably ia out of the question, we have many of the same constants in place that have brought us 4 loss seasons, blowout losses, and head scratching performances against nobody's. There is no rational, sane, statistically supported reason to think this season will be any different than the last six. Guess all I can do is hope against hope that it gets better and that the powers that be realize that 9-4 with no titles, no signature wins, no real achievement, can't be allowed to continue forever.

The exciting thing is, I have no idea where two of those losses will come from. At this point, I'm pretty sure msu and wiscy won't be pretty but the rest of the games are wide open and anything is possible. Yeah, I'm trying to pretend that is a good thing.........it really isn't.

Redux, I do not mean to be intentionally negative towards your thoughts. I have nothing personal against you. My thought is that we either

A. underperformed - why? does this occur often? what's happening? here we go again....

B. we are not that far off competitvely from an FCS school that is good at beating other FCS schools each week.

I'm a diehard just as much as you. I don't think we can't win this conference. I don't think going undefeated with our schedule is impossible. But there are questions and a big win on the road might answer some of them.

Redux, I do not mean to be intentionally negative towards your thoughts. I have nothing personal against you. My thought is that we either

A. underperformed - why? does this occur often? what's happening? here we go again....

B. we are not that far off competitvely from an FCS school that is good at beating other FCS schools each week.

I'm a diehard just as much as you. I don't think we can't win this conference. I don't think going undefeated with our schedule is impossible. But there are questions and a big win on the road might answer some of them.

I think we simply underperformed. I think we gave RG. An extra week off because we expected to destroy their line without him. I think we began passing so frequently to get the extra reps in, then it became necessary because we werent prepared to have them stop the run. Beck probably expected AA to tear a few loose but they knew to stop him.

IS any of this playing down acceptable? Hell no! We are leaps and bounds more talented than FCS schools. The staff and olayers just got their routine wake up call. By year 7 it shouldnt be necessary but there you have it.

We can definitely win the conference this year. Its in shambles, ripe for the taking. Thats not the only reason though. Its also because Nebraska has honestly looked the part, even when playing badly we find a way to win. We have too many pieces not to be in any game we play. We can win every one of em.

I think we simply underperformed. I think we gave RG. An extra week off because we expected to destroy their line without him. I think we began passing so frequently to get the extra reps in, then it became necessary because we werent prepared to have them stop the run. Beck probably expected AA to tear a few loose but they knew to stop him.

IS any of this playing down acceptable? Hell no! We are leaps and bounds more talented than FCS schools. The staff and olayers just got their routine wake up call. By year 7 it shouldnt be necessary but there you have it.

We can definitely win the conference this year. Its in shambles, ripe for the taking. Thats not the only reason though. Its also because Nebraska has honestly looked the part, even when playing badly we find a way to win. We have too many pieces not to be in any game we play. We can win every one of em.

I absolutely agree with all of this. We can win our conference, it is in shambles, basically it should be easy. We can win every game...........BUT, past experience, repeated experience with this staff, has shown it is more probable, highly likely, that won't happen. We're still struggling with teams we shouldn't. Yes we won but it WAS not assured. This indicates to me that we probably will have the same 1 or 2 blowout loss problem, the same 1 or 2 head scratching struggles with "easy" opponents, and the same failure to safely put away most opponents. I see no scheduling reason that we shouldn't escape the regular season with only 1 or 2 losses, well except that would go against all recent history and it doesn't look like anything has really changed after witnessing the McNeese game. Sigh, gawd I hope I'm wrong.

I could use some new steak knives, but I digress...

I just dont see any game on the schedule we get rounced in. Weve played well in East Lansing before, well we did at the end. We dont have to play against a Bielma led Badgers, Andersons look beatable in Madison. Iowa looks awful thus far and Kinnick isnt intimidating. NW is looking like an absolute squash. As for Lincoln games, Rutgers, Miami, Illinois and Minny should all be more tban manageable.

Now we just have to maintain focus. Win the conference this year and continue dominance into the next.