95 orange bowl Nebraska vs. Miami

I watched the first half off of Youtube last night.

What I found really interesting is how Miami was prancing around the first quarter acting like they are auditioning for dancing with the stars or something. But, by shortly into the second quarter, they realized they were in a dog fight and we were hitting them in ways they hadn't been hit all year. Sapp has this....WTF????....look on his face and poor Costa is getting pounded play after play after play.

Nebraska's defense used to really pound the QB if he is going to stand back there and throw the ball. I think Nebraska fans remember that and want that back. However, I wonder how many of those hits would result in a flag now days. I bet quite a few.

Back in the day when our D was feared. From 94-99 we had Ds that really pressured the QBs.

I agree that our D-line was dominant for most of the 90s, and we all would love that dominant D-line back at NU. However, the D-lines in the 90s were helped so much by going against Statue QB's. The D-line could pin their ears back and rush the QB without any fear of the QB breaking the pocket and running/passing on the run. Mobile QB's are everywhere now, and it forces the D-lines to play more of contain style rush. Right now, it seems like the most effective pass rushes come from up the middle. That's why Suh was so great.

Yeah. I think that's a forgotten part. You watch some of the old games from that era and see how the Wistroms and Tomichs and Ruckers and so on would do whatever they could to get to the qb. How they would rush so far up the field and try to collapse the pocket into the DTs. That just wouldnt work today as well. Even today's "statue" or "un-mobile" qb's have enough mobility to make a careless and out of position pass rush pay.

I watched the first half off of Youtube last night.

What I found really interesting is how Miami was prancing around the first quarter acting like they are auditioning for dancing with the stars or something. But, by shortly into the second quarter, they realized they were in a dog fight and we were hitting them in ways they hadn't been hit all year. Sapp has this....WTF????....look on his face and poor Costa is getting pounded play after play after play.

Nebraska's defense used to really pound the QB if he is going to stand back there and throw the ball. I think Nebraska fans remember that and want that back. However, I wonder how many of those hits would result in a flag now days. I bet quite a few.

Back in the day when our D was feared. From 94-99 we had Ds that really pressured the QBs.

I agree that our D-line was dominant for most of the 90s, and we all would love that dominant D-line back at NU. However, the D-lines in the 90s were helped so much by going against Statue QB's. The D-line could pin their ears back and rush the QB without any fear of the QB breaking the pocket and running/passing on the run. Mobile QB's are everywhere now, and it forces the D-lines to play more of contain style rush. Right now, it seems like the most effective pass rushes come from up the middle. That's why Suh was so great.

Yeah. I think that's a forgotten part. You watch some of the old games from that era and see how the Wistroms and Tomichs and Ruckers and so on would do whatever they could to get to the qb. How they would rush so far up the field and try to collapse the pocket into the DTs. That just wouldnt work today as well. Even today's "statue" or "un-mobile" qb's have enough mobility to make a careless and out of position pass rush pay.

That's why a guy like Corby Jones could rack up 30+ points against the '97 Blackshirts, but then Peyton Manning couldn't do a thing just a few weeks later.

Dammitt. I wasn't going to watch. And then I watched. I have work to do here, people.

You know what jumped out at me, something I'd half-forgotten?

It wasn't that Nebraska ran so many play-action fakes. It's that they sold them so well. Frazier and later Frost, really took pride in their acting ability and slight-of-hand. That's why the announcers, camera-man, Miami defense and me were busy watching Frazier hand the ball to the trailing running back while the fullback was already 10 yards downfield.

Painful memories for me. Our offense really hung our defense out to dry in that game. I think I'll watch the '84, '89, '92 OB games or the '02 Rose Bowl instead. You guys enjoy this one. I was there, don't think I can stomach it again.

So many games like that for Nebraska Fan. We lost seven straight bowl games just before that 1994 win. It looked like we were going to lose again, even midway through the 4th quarter, until Frazier put on his Superman cape and willed the team to win.

Remember that Costa nearly threw a 60-somthing yard TD bomb late in the 4th quarter that would have put you guys up again. Could have changed the course of history if he'd connected, because your receiver was wide open. Only thing saving Nebraska's butt on that one was we had broken down your O Line so badly Costa had no chance to set and throw that ball - he just heaved it and prayed while getting absolutely buried. Again.

Of course, you guys got payback in 2001, an utterly dominating performance that I never want to watch again, so don't think we don't know how you folks feel. We do. Moreso.

Don't forget the Gillman fumble that was ruled not a fumble. If I was a Miami fan, I would have called foul. That could have also turned the game into a different direction.

I watched this a little on BTN last night. It amazes me that teams like Nebraska, ND, Michigan, Miami just don't have the studs on Defense and the O-line anymore. Those guys on that Nebraska D were freaks - punishing. Wonder if it because the game has turned more "SEC" with emphasis on speed and getting smaller but faster kids. I remember watching ND in the early 90s and if they got a lead on you, they could chew up the entire 4th quarter with 1 or 2 long drives as their O-line would just wear the other team down because of their size and strength. Just don't see that style much anymore.

My favorite part was when the smack talking bitch Sapp couldn't even hardly stand up. He got beat all game long and by the end of 3rd quarter or maybe sooner he was no longer talking lol. That to me showed just how good out O-Line was that year. As far as the Defense from really 93 -99 there were many that didnt wanted to play against them. They punished people and did not have mercy AT ALL!

He kept calling Tommie, "Thomas," knowing that it ticked Tommie off. Bad move in the end.

My favorite part was when the smack talking bitch Sapp couldn't even hardly stand up. He got beat all game long and by the end of 3rd quarter or maybe sooner he was no longer talking lol. That to me showed just how good out O-Line was that year. As far as the Defense from really 93 -99 there were many that didnt wanted to play against them. They punished people and did not have mercy AT ALL!

I watched the game again last night on the B1G Network. Sapp did not get beat all game long. In fact, we tried a couple of times to throw a shuffle pass to LP up the middle only to have it completely blown up by Sapp. Sapp for the most part played really well in that game. The one player who I'd kind of forgot about all these years was Ray Lewis. He made a few hits, but he wasn't nearly as disruptive that game as he went on to be in the NFL.

The other thing I'd completely forgot about all these years is how Miami for a lot of the game simply looked like a monkey humping a football. They had receivers who were wide open dropping passes. They also had that high snap on the punt giving us the ball on their four yard line. The way they were wracking up penalties and such reminded me of how undisciplined we are at times now.