**** What did we learn - Miami Edition ****

walksalone

You guys act like you beat a great team last night. We are not good at all.

Yet our TRUE freshman qb and his offense scored 31.

Our D is terrible. AA is a damn good back.

But it's not like you beat a top team. This team will barely get 6 wins this year

We understand your a mid level ACC team, but that is exactly the same caliber as most of our remaining schedule. We won. We will improve as we move on to some of the tougher games. Too bad you feel your team will do the opposite. #Miamiproblems

But it's not like you beat a top team. This team will barely get 6 wins this year

We don't give a sh#t. We hate Miami, always have hated Miami, and were given plenty of reason to keep hating Miami for decades to come last night.

Miami could go 0-12 and we'd act the same way. You deserve it.

• Fire 1

Banderas should lose about 15 lbs before he can play again. He is slower than hell and not physical either. Its a shame to think what this defense could be with Mike Rose.

Randy Gregory is good, real good, and I don't think people appreciate him enough. Miami started running AWAY from him.

Finally showed a back bone. Didn't let Miami get into our heads and break us mentally.

Ameer is good.

Beck called the game he should call every game. Opened up the playbook a little as well.

Pelini made good adjustments switching to zone from man early in the game.

Finally, I think fans that continue to be worried about fast WRs probably learned that they shouldn't be. All those miami fans told us we should worry about Coley and Dorsett and they did nothing, because once again, we hardly ever get beat deep. Yay 2 high safeties, Brock Guard mentioned this during the game. Our corners are good and Kalu is gonna be a beast. He should be starting soon. There is a reason teams targeted the RB/LB matchup all the time.

I'd give Courtney love a look at mike before I throw Banderas out there again. Man was that bad.

Miami speed was negligible.

Also, good post. I didn't mean to pick any negative from your post. Spot on. Also, Miami's speed could have killed us. It was a game where our offense literally saved us. Bo's bend don't break scheme could have been foiled in these types of games in the past but our offense kept answering. We were able to commit to stopping the big play.

I didn't mean to understate how good Ameer is, he is REALLY good. I didn't explain my point very well, but despite how great Ameer is, Randy Gregory is probably on par with him for his importance to our defense & and I know a lot of people will probably disagree, because Randy won't get all the awards Suh has, but there is a reason he is gonna be a top 5ish pick, but he belongs up there with Suh and Ameer, as the cream of the crop, in the last 10 years or so.

Also, agree with you, but I think you saw that our secondary is no joke, especially Kalu/Gerry/Mitchell/Davie/Rose... As I mentioned before the game, wasn't concerned with their WRs, but their RBs, thought they'd try and get Duke matched up with Cooper/Bando/Santos all game and target that, which they did a little bit but KUDOS TO SANTOS for stepping up (and I've been mighty critical of him, as well).

Side note: Corey Cooper, certainly knows what he is doing, but man he takes some questionable angles and he is slow. Banderas slow.

Roach has some ability, Banderas does not. I think some midnight egg muffins sounds awesome right now.

Nah, people are flipping Banderas waaaaay too much flack. He played a pretty decent game and only had a few missed assignments...just like Cockrell and just like Gerry tonight (who missed coverage twice and didn't wrap up 3 times).

But hey, he's a good scapegoat.

Scapegoat? I wonder if Bo Pelini and Papuchis think he is the scapegoat too, because they benched his ass for a reason. Also, ironic you speak of Gerry not wrapping up 3 times, because Banderas either A) completely misses the tackle B) is too slow to catch the guy to tackle, or C) doesn't wrap up. He might be the worst tackling linebacker we have at this point. At least Gerry is decisive and wants to hit someone asap. Bando literally hits nothing but air half the time he tries to tackle.

He isn't tthe only one who missed assignments, nor will he ever be the only one, but boy he did NOT have a good game at all. At. All. And the coaches reflected that by playing Roach.

Gerry played a helluva game after being chewed out by Bo, anyhow. Cockrell struggled - which is why I say Kalu is probably gonna be the starter soon.

• Fire 3

Oh, I don't think we beat a great team. Miami is probably a couple notches below McNeese State.

That said, it was pretty satisfying given the smack that Miami players were talking leading up to the game. Miami isn't very good . . . but they sure thought that they were before we ran all over them.

• Fire 2

Why do you care? Fact is: We won, you lost. Physically dominated your criminal canes. You're still Thug U, nothings changed, never will.

• Fire 1

Why do you care? Fact is: We won, you lost. Physically dominated your criminal canes. You're still Thug U, nothings changed, never will.
We understand Miami as a team is average, but they have great talent. Top 10 talent. Talent that at any point can erupt and go off. Not consistent, well-coached, well-prepared. Strictly raw talent. Miami is a team that will compete with anyone in the country no matter what. They will win some, they will lose some(due to lack of playing as a team). But it isn't because they don't have the talent. These are the teams that have that one big win against a top level team in a year then go back into their shell. That's why this is a great win.
  • Fire 2

That AA is the best all around RB ever at NU. Not another back I would take over him out of all of em in the books. I'm dead serious. Witnessing something very, very special.

I don't know about the best ever. If I was going to pick one running back at Nebraska as the best of all time, I would certainly have to consider Ameer Abdullah right along side guys like Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Ahman Green, and Jeff Kinney, just to name a few.

I think we're all well aware of that. It's just that Nebraska of late has lost games like these. This time we didn't.

And you act like the points after the first 24 are meaningful in any way.

Or even the 3 that they scored as a result of a bullsh#t penalty count either. Yeah, we gave up 21 points, not the 31 that the scoreboard shows. Your offensive game planning was pretty good, and Kaaya will be a great QB for the U. Could be really good this time next year.

last night was great. it is getting harder to remain cautiously optimistic. but we will learn the most about this team in east lansing.

we got punched in the mouth and punched back instead of wilt. that was probably my best takeaway from the game. and it was a whole team win, which is also exciting. and a complete game. all good things.

• Fire 1

I learned that the running game can be dominant. It was unstoppable last night, the only time it was truly stopped was due to turnovers. Scoring 41 points with having 7 minute scoring drives is pretty incredible.

As far as Tommy A is concerned, he's showing us that he can make great decisions on option and zone read plays. He's running the ball great this year and has improved tremendously from last season. As far as throwing is concerned, he still has much to improve upon. He still doesn't go through progressions properly and decides where he wants to throw the ball before the snap. The interception yesterday really hurt, particularly with Kenny Bell wide open on the play with no Hurricane near him. The passing game will have to be better when we play Michigan State to take some pressure off of Ameer.

The offensive line continues to have penalty issues, which is understandable considering the amount of times we ran the ball yesterday. Two weeks ago it was Cotton, last night it was Lewis. Hopefully those can be limited going forward.

Defensively we played poorly for most of the first half. Our best defense was our offense dominating time of possession in the 2nd quarter and into the 3rd quarter, giving no real opportunity for Miami to score. They got a bit better late in the 3rd quarter by getting some pressure on the freshman QB, which caused him to make some mistakes in the passing game. Otherwise they were exposed a bit by Miami's speed, and got bailed out by two Miami turnovers (on drives that were likely to lead to points) and by an offense that kept them off the field.

I know the turnovers we had were also on likely scoring drives, but I still didn't like the defense playing poorly against a good but not great Miami offense. Still, dominating a team like that was incredible to watch. They knew what was coming and still couldn't stop it.