It's Happening

Husker_x

College football is a seasonal thing. As a fanbase, we spend out winters rehashing the omens––good or ill––from the season before. Spring finds sports writers and their laziest and least informed. It's not their fault, this drought of truly useful information, but so many eye catching headlines destined to be forgotten are printed here. Summer is potential and hearsay congealing into the shape of a football team. We get our depth charts, our final rosters, and count the days until kickoff. Then there's fall.

Fall is reality. I've been along for every year of the Pelini tenure. Seven trips on the merry-go-round, so to speak––enough to make me hesitant about grandiose predictions before seeing a full non-conference schedule fill in the gaps. Being a part of the Nebraska fanbase during this time has been nothing if not instructive. We have seen some incredible things––again, good and ill––during Pelini's time. And while this post should not be mistaken with the Nebraska football program standing on the mountaintop, after so many trips around this seasonal thrill ride, an inkling I had in spring may turn out to be real. I think it's finally safe to say it's happening. Nebraska is taking the shape of the team it needs to be to bring trophies back to Lincoln.

You start with Ameer. Who wouldn't? Barrels of ink will be spilt praising his performance last night, but speaking for myself (and avoiding a string of well-deserved adjectives), this guy is beyond. Talk about his play, talk about his leadership. Talk about the fact that gravity seems to leave him the f*ck alone. Talk about whatever, but thank the football gods he's on our side, and credit our staff for finding him wandering around somewhere in Alabama.

Tim Beck. You've caused a lot of damage to my liver since you became coordinator (I learned in AA step one is to always blame other people for your problems). At times I thought your plot to kill me would succeed, but at some point between Taylor Martinez making his merciful exit and last night, you had a revelation. That revelation was to win games at Nebraska, you need to commit to a physical, option-oriented run game––and don't leave it for another woman. I commend you for your game plan and the discipline you showed in sticking with it for four quarters. I hope you stick with it for the rest of your career. You bludgeoned and demoralized a mouthy, trashy team and sent them packing back to Miami. I suspect we are waiting for a more consistent #2 at tailback, but Ameer will get some rest another night. Maybe next Saturday.

Tommy Armstrong is a player we've been waiting for. He's good-not-great, exactly what I thought he'd be, but he does a few simple things well, and his unselfish, intelligent play is the axis around which the offense rotates.

Our defense has a weakness or two, but my sense of the game was that Miami was simply doing some things right. Kaaya was on the money several times last night. You do have to tip your hat. You also have to tip your hat to a secondary that forced game-closing turnovers. Barring too many injuries, Pelini defenses tend to get better the more they play. Let's hope the trend continues. There is some eye-popping talent on that side as well, and the distance between where they are and dominance is not so far as it may appear.

One sportscaster likened the first three games to quizzes and the Miami game as the final test of the non-con. We completed 3/3 and passed the test with flying colors. We're 4-0. We're talented, tested, and the offensive blueprint is in place at long last. It's a long march to the end of the season, but I have not been this optimistic about Nebraska football and the direction of this program in a very, very long time. As of today, everything is in front of us, including a spot in the final four.

I could not be more f'ing proud of this team.

Still am frightened by your avatar...but your words are dead on.

In yours and other comments, there is talk of talent and scheme all starting to arrive at a "good" place. One thing that I think declared "I have arrived" last night was attitude. The last two years, this team has shown moments of hanging in through adversity, but last night's Husker performance said to me "We will not only meet adversity, we will BE adversity to the opposition." As always, there is room for improvement, but the salty way both the O and D performed last night does have to give MSU, and anyone else on the schedule reason to be a little frightened.

• Fire 1

Good OP +1.

I pretty much agree with everything you said except I am taking a wait and see approach if Beck and Bo really will stick to the offensive game plan we saw last night. I still am more concerned about what ways this team can find to beat themselves than any fear of MSU or Wiscy. Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, let's hope it is the sunlight of this program finally finding it's way and not the headlight of our own driverless, out of control, locomotive.

But yeah, we've had two games this season that have felt like none before in the Pelini era. FAU had a special feel to it and last nights Miami game.....tif that isn't one of the signature wins and performances we've been so desperately waiting for, I don't know what is. We've sure had special moments, highlight reel material, and exciting come from behind victories but, enforcing our will on a team of Miami's caliber, albeit a not at the top of their game Miami, is still preferable to a hail mary or circus stunt catch in my book.

Good OP +1.

I pretty much agree with everything you said except I am taking a wait and see approach if Beck and Bo really will stick to the offensive game plan we saw last night. I still am more concerned about what ways this team can find to beat themselves than any fear of MSU or Wiscy. Yes, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, let's hope it is the sunlight of this program finally finding it's way and not the headlight of our own driverless, out of control, locomotive.

But yeah, we've had two games this season that have felt like none before in the Pelini era. FAU had a special feel to it and last nights Miami game.....tif that isn't one of the signature wins and performances we've been so desperately waiting for, I don't know what is. We've sure had special moments, highlight reel material, and exciting come from behind victories but, enforcing our will on a team of Miami's caliber, albeit a not at the top of their game Miami, is still preferable to a hail mary or circus stunt catch in my book.

Was the offensive game plan last night due to Bo taking over from Beck? Bo forced Watson to change offensive direction after the 7 turnover loss against ISU, and Bo called out Beck's game plan earlier this year.

Debby Downer here:

At times, a true frosh QB had us spinning in circles, a below-average o-line was protecting him from our first rounder and picking up blitzes; and averaging 7-8 yds a rush, we Becked it up with a head-scratching deep ball that was easily intercepted. What were we Becking thinking? Not to mention Tommy 'not Frazier' Armstrong coughing it up at a most inopportune time.

Sparty will impale this kind of play, and throw it off the cliffs as at Thermopylae. I don't even want to think about Road Grader Wisconsin right now.

Count me as cautiously optimistic, but we have a lot of growing up to do all over the field before we're 'back.'

Debby Downer here:

At times, a true frosh QB had us spinning in circles, a below-average o-line was protecting him from our first rounder and picking up blitzes; and averaging 7-8 yds a rush, we Becked it up with a head-scratching deep ball that was easily intercepted. What were we Becking thinking? Not to mention Tommy 'not Frazier' Armstrong coughing it up at a most inopportune time.

Sparty will impale this kind of play, and throw it off the cliffs as at Thermopylae. I don't even want to think about Road Grader Wisconsin right now.

Count me as cautiously optimistic, but we have a lot of growing up to do all over the field before we're 'back.'

Well...Duke Johnson is probably the second best running back we will see this season and Miami found ways to get him in space. They ran quick routes and tunnel screens to try and let their speed work to their advantage. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

On the other side, we played one of the best MLB we will play this season and I don't remember seeing him make any plays. Like at all. I had to keep pointing out who made the tackle just to make sure I wasn't missing him. I think Beck got something done during preparations because we completely neutralized Perryman. Add on top we ran the ball something like 80% of the time and that is crazy.

• Fire 1

Debby Downer here:

Well...Duke Johnson is probably the second best running back we will see this season and Miami found ways to get him in space. They ran quick routes and tunnel screens to try and let their speed work to their advantage. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

On the other side, we played one of the best MLB we will play this season and I don't remember seeing him make any plays. Like at all. I had to keep pointing out who made the tackle just to make sure I wasn't missing him. I think Beck got something done during preparations because we completely neutralized Perryman. Add on top we ran the ball something like 80% of the time and that is crazy.

We do appear to have a slight tackling problem MLB comes to mind. But it's a good question: how many athletic teams like Miami are left on our schedule? Will the defense improve overall as a unit and eventually compensate? Will other players (coughinteriorlinemencough) start making more disruptive plays?

I was surprised we weren't blitzing more, but then I suppose Miami's screen game (which worked well at times) would probably limit the amount of send-the-housers you'd try. Gregory had a nice night at the office rushing four.

Sparty will impale this kind of play, and throw it off the cliffs as at Thermopylae.

Maybe I'm missing just exactly what it is about Sparty that has some so extremely concerned. We have lost to them once in football. Ever.

That team we played last year that won all the hardware could have easily gone down were it not for our own dumb play. That's not a knock on their talent or scheme––which I respect––but I don't feel Nebraska is a helpless underdog. We'll be showing up to play.

Debby Downer here:

We do appear to have a slight tackling problem MLB comes to mind. But it's a good question: how many athletic teams like Miami are left on our schedule? Will the defense improve overall as a unit and eventually compensate? Will other players (coughinteriorlinemencough) start making more disruptive plays?

I was surprised we weren't blitzing more, but then I suppose Miami's screen game (which worked well at times) would probably limit the amount of send-the-housers you'd try. Gregory had a nice night at the office rushing four.

I think the tackling problem was fixed in the second half. A man named Roach came in and appears to have the fire to plug holes. He isn't as fast, so that won't fix the covering of fast half backs, but he does seem to be a good tackler. Santos played his best game as a Husker ever. EVER! I have ragged on the dude since he became a starter, but something may have finally clicked. I hope this wasn't a one game thing. As for Zaire, he is still our best linebacker who unfortunately is this first off the field. I think Roach may be the answer we have wanted for a while. Otherwise, I saw some progress I haven't seen from our linebackers as a whole in a long time.

Debby Downer here:

Agreed....and if there's one position group Pelini made it clear he was focusing on for improvement now, it's the LBs.

Aside from the TO's against MSU last year, we win that game. Bo has their number. I expect nothing different this year.

Duke Johnson is the 2nd best RB we will see all year. We "slowed" him up.

UM is the fastest team we will see all year. Hands down. No one closer. We will also play no team more physical in the trenches. They played mean and dirty. It was a great test for NU. In the past, we would have folded. We finally have that nasty trash talking, punch you in the throat leadership on D from RG and JM. We needed that game to let the team know its ok to fight (literally and figuratively), it is ok to play smash mouth and win.

NU grew up last night. Bo got beck, IMO, to call the O that Bo has been wanting. I liked it.