Everybody clap their hands

For the record, and before anyone gets into "excuses" or whatever, this is not an excuse for why we lost. We lost because we played like dootie for 3.75 quarters of that game. Play better, no amount of Sparty tricks will harm you.

This is a fun little oddity to discover, nothing more.

Thank you for nipping that in the bud.

• Fire 1

John Bishop retweeted

default_profile_1_bigger.pngnebraskafaninwi@12dcvf 5m5 minutes ago

@JohnBishop71 @MikelSevere 10:53 3rd, 0:39 3rd, 12:48 2nd. Pay attention to number 43. He turns his back to the ref to not get caught.

It's good that it is getting pointed out, but it doesn't help you from getting manhandled by their front 7.

I distinctly remember Wiscy doing this same thing on D against Ohio St a year ago. Didn't stop Ohio st from beating Wiscy....didn't look like it caused much issue for Ohio St...

Oh, contrare.

It makes a HUGE difference. At every level of football. Hell, I'm coaching my sons 9 yr old tackle team this fall and as soon as they start to jump our count, we go on 2 and even 3. Not only do we get the penalty yds, it holds them off for that split second we need to gain an advantage on our blocks. We go back to going on 1 until they get comfortable again, rinse/repeat.

I think it's a bigger problem of never ever ever taking a snap from under center. It just makes the defense comfortable if we never change things up, especially the snap count. Less thinking, less hesitating, more attacking.

And yeah, those clips show purely that they were simulating the snap count and that's cheating. But just like they don't call pushing into the endzone in QB sneaks, they won't call this either.

Honestly though, we need to figure out a different way to snap the ball. It's way to easy to time the clap count we're doing IMO. He hardly ever claps more than once. Yes, he will fake clap but hardly ever does he clap and the ball isn't snapped fairly immediately after that.

Which is exactly what happens if you use a raised foot. And it's exactly what happens when you drop an arm. For that matter, it's exactly what happens when you use a verbal count.

There just aren't that many options. I think it's a bit of an over-reaction when we had problems one game in two years. Especially when it's pretty well shown that they were doing it on purpose and it shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

I'm not talking about changing it from a clap, to a leg motion, or arm motion. I'm talking about changing the count. Hell, you learn this in Jr. High. Go on 2, or 3, etc. So could go on second clap, or first leg movement after the clap, or 3 seconds after the clap, etc. You have to vary things up no matter what you use to snap the ball.

As far as cheating goes fake clapping isn't that bad I'm sure there plenty going on pre-snap on just about every play to try and distract players on both sides

Would Husker fans be okay with it if our team was doing it?
I can't speak for all husker fans but if it was the other way around and it was the huskers doing this and MSU didn't adjust and it was beneficial for my favorite team I would be asking for it to stop
  • Fire 1

For the record, and before anyone gets into "excuses" or whatever, this is not an excuse for why we lost. We lost because we played like dootie for 3.75 quarters of that game. Play better, no amount of Sparty tricks will harm you.

+1.

Silly. They didn't need to cheat to win.

+1.

Silly. They didn't need to cheat to win.

Yep. We were out hustled and out played in the trenches with our OL. I think the "clapping" aided them at times, but they either knew the snap count or got the best jumps I have seen.

Just like we failed to adjust play calling, we failed to address/adjust this. #learningonthejob

I got to the first clapping incident with 12:52 remaining in the 2nd quarter. To this point I have seen the DE #44 for MSU make all the line changes by clapping twice. He does so and all other lineman make the movements to align. This time #44 is putting his hands down to get set and all other lineman are prepared. LB #43 claps and Pelini hikes the ball as Armstrong is motioning Abdullah to the side. Luckily, Pelini hits Armstrong in the numbers, but MSU gets a sack.

• Fire 1