***** What did we learn - Rutgers Edition *****

The absolute ceiling for this team is finishing runner up in the CCG.

Or not even make it. Wisconsin and Iowa/Minny will knock us off.

This is not about us not being happy over a blowout. It's about seeing us time and time again do things during the game, that while fine against Rutgers, FAU, Illinois, etc, comes back to bite us in the ass against good teams. Ala Michigan St piss pounding us for 3 quarters. Tim Beck and his plan to literally waste 2-3 possessions per half is going to lose us some imprortant games yet this season. The guy can take a hike. Papuchis can do a better job of sticking to whats working by calling plays based on flipping a one-sided coin.

Now for the good. Our defense is pretty good. Not perfect, but good. And in this day and age of offensive football, that'll get you places. It's HARD to play defense these days. But I saw a lot of things that are encouraging. Guys getting better and better at what we're doing.

Offensive line I thought did much better. Appears the fire under their ass was lit.

Ameer. LOL.

In the words of my wifes cousin, I would let Gerry have access to me. LOL

But at the end of the day......

CONSISTENCY CONSITENCY CONSISTENCY.

Thank you. How can any fan be completely satisfied with this win?

The team doesn't have a killer instinct to finish.

So we freak out when we pull the starters because our back ups don't have a killer instinct to execute like a national championship team.

and

We freak out when the starters get left in because the back ups don't get playing time.

This board. Is starting to become a double standard itself. yeesh.

• Fire 7

So we freak out when we pull the starters because our back ups don't have a killer instinct to execute like a national championship team.

and

We freak out when the starters get left in because the back ups don't get playing time.

I'm not a fan of lazy ass sloppy football to end games.

and

This deserves the "+1" and a quoted reply "+1"

• Fire 1

I've learned that no matter the final outcome of the game (which is what matters). The process of how we get there, if it isn't perfect, then all hell breaks loose and we're gunna drop 3 of our last 4.

I think that's what I learned from the board today.

From the game, I learned that we won another game, we're 7-1, and have another week to improve before playing Purdue. Who is better than a lot of people give them credit for.

• Fire 1

and

Me neither.

and

We weren't particularly crisp before that either.

Also the bootleg pass to the flat is apparently the hardest play to defend of all time.

Again, the angst against Beck is situational. Some guys who defend him DONT GET IT. We *waste* possessions. That sh#t wont fly in November. i dont wanna see no stats about only this many passes and ameer gettin so many carries. Cuz you cant waste possessions in this offensive age of football. Especially for controllable reasons like coming out and throwing 5 passes in a row, runnin a qb draw, then missin a field goal, while your super star heisman running back behind an offensive line that is run blocking really well on such particular day gets 0 touches in that stretch. Then possessions prior and after, we go back to bread and butter and what works and we're up and down the field. The defense KNOWS what's coming at this point and it cant be stopped. Yet we constantly go away from what's working for the sake of god knows what.

• Fire 2

and

I saw our starting defense actually in the game giving up a garbage TD by letting Rutgers fly down the field doing anything and everything they wanted to do. But OK.

• Fire 1