*** The Official Purdue Boilermakers Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

Did we not know coming in that this offense runs off Abdullah's abilities? Why are people surprised we struggled once he went out? Armstrong is seriously flawed at this point. He has to show improvement. All this team needs is a point guard type at qb to distribute it to the playmakers and not put us in bad spots with TOs.

I'm fine with Armstrong as QB--the ire needs to be directed towards Beck for not developing his QB and s***tacular play calling that put Tommy in crap situations.

Dude, Beck does NOT know how to develop QBs. It's just that simple. He isn't going to do s#*$ for that aspect of the offense. He draws up plays and calls them. I don't get what people don't get. He just doesn't know how.

I agree on TA though.

I'm fine with Armstrong as QB--the ire needs to be directed towards Beck for not developing his QB and s***tacular play calling that put Tommy in crap situations.

Dude, Beck does NOT know how to develop QBs. It's just that simple. He isn't going to do s#*$ for that aspect of the offense. He draws up plays and calls them. I don't get what people don't get. He just doesn't know how.

I agree on TA though.

Agreed. He has knowledge (Beck) it just doesn't transfer to the field or the kids he has. He calls a game for QB A when we have QB B... He must be absent from practice if he thinks TA is a "complete" QB capable of making all the throws required in Beck's O....

Two things here.

1. Fire Beck

2. Hire an acclaimed OC and a dedicated QB coach

Put Tommy with a dedicated QB coach and I bet he gets rid of the quirks that we are frustrated about him.

That seems to have worked out pretty well for Michigan...

I have my complaints with Beck too but no matter who is our OC, people will always be coming on message boards and saying things like this. This offense has shown its potential, and I'd much rather see Beck continue to grow and also hire a QB coach. The biggest issues are consistency and play calling.

Two things here.

1. Fire Beck

2. Hire an acclaimed OC and a dedicated QB coach

Put Tommy with a dedicated QB coach and I bet he gets rid of the quirks that we are frustrated about him.

That seems to have worked out pretty well for Michigan...

I have my complaints with Beck too but no matter who is our OC, people will always be coming on message boards and saying things like this. This offense has shown its potential, and I'd much rather see Beck continue to grow and also hire a QB coach. The biggest issues are consistency and play calling.

Potential against weak teams...Well there was the blip against McNeese and today.........Never mind. Beck needs to go.

Upon further review, the pick in the endzone was essentially a one-route pass. It was a PA pass and I don't think TA (or Beck) expected anyone to stay home on Westy on an option route over the middle. He may have had the flanker on a comeback near the top of the field, but he was cut off and I couldn't tell. Either way, a dumb, arrogant playcall from Beck that close to the endzone.

Westy stuttered faking a slant and stepped towards the back of the endzone. TA threw the slant and the DB stepped in front for the easy pick.

Same deal on the second pick. Westerkamp faked skinny post, headed outside to run flag, TA threw skinny post. The CB just flat out stepped in front of Westy. TA would've had Reilly open on an in or the third (innermost) slot guy on a flare out underneath Westy/Reilly.

Basically, TA doesn't make progressions well. But Beck didn't do him any favors by calling option routes.