If Bo is let go - who could Nebraska get

I dont think Harbaugh is a realistic choice. But his style in my opinion would be a good fit, for any college program. He seems like kinda of a control freak if you will?

Maybe thats not the right desription. It's hard to describe. But it's apparent his style-whatever words you wanna put to it-have rubbed people way the wrong way over a few years in the ego-driven environment of an NFL lockerroom and front office. While he probably wants to be in the NFL, his style of coaching and control probably fits the college game better.

Also, if we're starting to hammer on Bo for every skowl and yell, how are we gonna be ready to handle Harbaugh? I know winning cures everything. But it's just a thought.

I dont think Harbaugh is a realistic choice. But his style in my opinion would be a good fit, for any college program. He seems like kinda of a control freak if you will?

Exactly I've read where Saban's practices are scripted down to the minute. Everything he does serves a purpose and there's no wasted movement. Sounds like a guy named Moglia to me.

My list of good solid real candidates:

Gary Patterson- similiar to Pelini, but adapted to the game on offense this season. This is who Pelini should talk too.

Mark Stoops (UK)- Taken a bad UK team and got some wins in a mega tough conference. 2nd choice.

Jim Mora JR- Could leave UCLA for a job with the history of NU.

Jim Tressel- Had Ohio St a contender year in and year out. This is my first option.

Paul Johnson ( Ga Tech)- I like his style of offense. Traditional triple option, mixed with some big plays. Recuits well to a mediocre football school. Took Navy to a bowl game with Naval recruits. Will play FSU for ACC titile in a couple of weeks.

Patterson was sought after by his alma mater K state. He didn't leave TCU for them why would he come here? Tressel is still my top choice with Frost as OC and a coach in waiting title.

Gary Patterson- similiar to Pelini, but adapted to the game on offense this season. This is who Pelini should talk too.

Mark Stoops (UK)- Taken a bad UK team and got some wins in a mega tough conference. 2nd choice.

Jim Tressel- Had Ohio St a contender year in and year out. This is my first option.

Paul Johnson ( Ga Tech)- I like his style of offense. Traditional triple option, mixed with some big plays. Recuits well to a mediocre football school. Took Navy to a bowl game with Naval recruits. Will play FSU for ACC titile in a couple of weeks.

Patterson was sought after by his alma mater K state. He didn't leave TCU for them why would he come here? Tressel is still my top choice with Frost as OC and a coach in waiting title.

Paul Johnson was my 1st pick when Tom hired Bo. Not sure how he would stack up now wt many good younger coaches available. I thought he did a great job at Navy and now at GT - not traditional football places with limited resources. I'd like any combination wt Scott Frost as OC and coach in waiting. Of course that would limit the HC position to someone like Tressel, or Moglia. I'm not saying that is my first option but I do like that possibility. Any chance we could get Turner Gil back in some capacity. I'd like some link to old school NU to help us regain our identity (actually to give us one). Would Turner make a good OC? Of course any new coach would make those decisions. I don't think we need our AD dictating that as Tom did wt Shawn Watson.

Also I haven't heard much discussion on Mark Richt from Georgia. An Omaha guy who others have said like Nebraska. He seems to have a personality / philosophy closer to Tom's and would present a totally different image then what we get out of Bo. Could he be a good fit and would he want to leave the SEC for Big 10 country. He's won a couple SEC championships, many div championships and has finished in the top 10 6 times. He may be even mores successful here than in the brutal SEC. I like his stance on the SEC pattern of 'oversigning' as noted in the last sentence below.

From Wiki:

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt recounted the moments leading up to being named UGA's head coach in an interview, saying:

In December 2000, [the University of Georgia's] President Michael Adams and then Athletic Director Coach Vince Dooley came to Tallahassee and interviewed me for the position of Head Coach of the UGA Bulldogs. After many hours of prayer, Coach Dooley called me and I accepted the position. We moved to Athens in January 2001 and have truly been blessed. We have a great church, an outstanding school for the children and a wonderful staff. Throughout all of life I try to live according to COLOSSIANS 3:23 – “And whatever you do, do heartily, as to the LORD and not to men.[3]

In his first seven seasons at Georgia, Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference Championships (2002 and 2005), and as of 2012, he has won six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012). His team represented the SEC in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll six times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012).

In 2011 during his 11th season at Georgia he collected his 100th career victory by leading the Bulldogs to a win over the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on October 8th.

While coaching at Georgia, Richt has been a strong opponent of oversigning, a practice popular in the SEC, believing that a scholarship is a 4-year commitment.

Also I haven't heard much discussion on Mark Richt from Georgia. An Omaha guy who others have said like Nebraska. He seems to have a personality / philosophy closer to Tom's and would present a totally different image then what we get out of Bo. Could he be a good fit and would he want to leave the SEC for Big 10 country. He's won a couple SEC championships, many div championships and has finished in the top 10 6 times. He may be even mores successful here than in the brutal SEC. I like his stance on the SEC pattern of 'oversigning' as noted in the last sentence below.

From Wiki:

Richt was hired as head coach of the Georgia Bulldogs before the 2001 season, replacing Jim Donnan. Richt recounted the moments leading up to being named UGA's head coach in an interview, saying:

In December 2000, [the University of Georgia's] President Michael Adams and then Athletic Director Coach Vince Dooley came to Tallahassee and interviewed me for the position of Head Coach of the UGA Bulldogs. After many hours of prayer, Coach Dooley called me and I accepted the position. We moved to Athens in January 2001 and have truly been blessed. We have a great church, an outstanding school for the children and a wonderful staff. Throughout all of life I try to live according to COLOSSIANS 3:23 – “And whatever you do, do heartily, as to the LORD and not to men.[3]

In his first seven seasons at Georgia, Richt's teams won two Southeastern Conference Championships (2002 and 2005), and as of 2012, he has won six SEC Eastern Division titles (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2011 and 2012). His team represented the SEC in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll six times (2002–2005, 2007, 2012).

In 2011 during his 11th season at Georgia he collected his 100th career victory by leading the Bulldogs to a win over the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville on October 8th.

While coaching at Georgia, Richt has been a strong opponent of oversigning, a practice popular in the SEC, believing that a scholarship is a 4-year commitment.

Mentioned Richt last season when all this spun up. He would be a good hire, and the same level of effort in the B1G as he exudes in the SEC would net him larger rewards due to an easier slate.

Interesting opinions here on who could or should or wants to be the next HC for NU. Patterson, although is an alum of KSU, knows down deep that job when Bill Snyder leaves is impossible to match. He could come to NU, and yes with his recruiting ties to Texas, could and should be a serious contender.

Richt is interesting. He has mega talent at Georgia, speed, speed, and speed. Big Ten conference is a hard one to sell and get speed due to weather in October, November. Honestly, can't win the big one with his core talent at Georgia speaks enough for me. He is Bo Pelini.

This is why the Husker nation is somewhat split on moving forward with Bo and without him. You almost can make a case for anyone else in the nation, but then you start looking at records, certain down years, and expectations and see that this is a hard sell for alot of fans right now. Do I believe NU is a Top 25 job yet, Yes. Is it a Top 5 job, no. 15 years ago, it was Top 5 easily. I honestly think that its somewhere in the 10 to 15 range. Could be back in the Top 10 with the right hire, and fast. Big 10 is down right now, but they won't be for long. Michigan gets the right coach, and Penn St gets things rolling again, it could be too late for NU to be relevant for many more years to come. Phio St isn't going anywhere soon, and Michigan St seems solid, with Wisky right there as well. Like I said, if Michigan and Penn St establish themselves again, look out.

Interesting opinions here on who could or should or wants to be the next HC for NU. Patterson, although is an alum of KSU, knows down deep that job when Bill Snyder leaves is impossible to match. He could come to NU, and yes with his recruiting ties to Texas, could and should be a serious contender.

Richt is interesting. He has mega talent at Georgia, speed, speed, and speed. Big Ten conference is a hard one to sell and get speed due to weather in October, November. Honestly, can't win the big one with his core talent at Georgia speaks enough for me. He is Bo Pelini.

This is why the Husker nation is somewhat split on moving forward with Bo and without him. You almost can make a case for anyone else in the nation, but then you start looking at records, certain down years, and expectations and see that this is a hard sell for alot of fans right now. Do I believe NU is a Top 25 job yet, Yes. Is it a Top 5 job, no. 15 years ago, it was Top 5 easily. I honestly think that its somewhere in the 10 to 15 range. Could be back in the Top 10 with the right hire, and fast. Big 10 is down right now, but they won't be for long. Michigan gets the right coach, and Penn St gets things rolling again, it could be too late for NU to be relevant for many more years to come. Phio St isn't going anywhere soon, and Michigan St seems solid, with Wisky right there as well. Like I said, if Michigan and Penn St establish themselves again, look out.

Wait what!?....Richt has won SEC titles, appeared in numerous SEC championships, has finished seasons in the Top Ten, and you don't think he has had enough success and should be considered a Pelini? Also, you are faulting the guy for recruiting well and with no basis just assuming he won't be able to recruit well at Nebraska? Ya, those don't seem like educated assertions. Now, if you were asserting that it's illogical to think he'd leave Georgia, then you might have a point.

Paul Johnson was my 1st pick when Tom hired Bo. Not sure how he would stack up now wt many good younger coaches available. I thought he did a great job at Navy and now at GT - not traditional football places with limited resources. I'd like any combination wt Scott Frost as OC and coach in waiting. Of course that would limit the HC position to someone like Tressel, or Moglia. I'm not saying that is my first option but I do like that possibility. Any chance we could get Turner Gil back in some capacity. I'd like some link to old school NU to help us regain our identity (actually to give us one). Would Turner make a good OC? Of course any new coach would make those decisions. I don't think we need our AD dictating that as Tom did wt Shawn Watson.

How about bring T.O. back ( a la Synder) for a season or two to mentor Frost before Scott takes over?

Obviously a LONG shot, but it seems as if T.O. still has so much interest in football generally and in this program specifically....... it might offer him the do-over opportunity to fix the Pelini hire.

(even I can't figure out if this suggestion is tongue-in-cheek) :snacks:

• Fire 1

Has Richt played the National Title? No Auburn and Alabama have. You really can make a case for Richt and Pelini being the same guy. Georgia is in the weaker of the divisions in the SEC, like the Big Ten west is for Nebraska. Missouri played for the SEC title last year. So Yeah, I am saying that there is not that earth shattering of a difference between Richt and BO. I guess, weve all seen Georgia in the last few years, which team appears to have more talent on the field? Georgia has had the talent. Maybe didn't bring it too the bowl games every year, but overwhelmingly they have the talent. Yes, Richt is solid, but hasn't taken the world by fire yet, and more than likely won't. Could he come to NU and do whats needed to get NU back at least in the mix for a Big 10 title?.............Can he recruit that talent and speed to a cold weather midwest state? Those are scary questions to ask and actually think about the answer. Yes, at one time OU, NU and even CU Buffs got all the talent they needed to compete nationally. They all won titles. The game is now evolved into a warm weather southern game. SEC is ruling the landscape in recruiting and winning. Oregon with all its hype, haven't competed well against tough, rugged teams that play smash mouth defense. Arizona and Arizona ST are competing . Baylor plays in a warmer climate and apparently are getting enough recruits and speed. Who can Nebraska get to bring the traditon back, and play for at least conference titles on a year in and year out basis? I would say one thing: Go back to the Big 12. Imagine playing actual football again against football schools. Texas, TCU, OU, OSU, KSU and Baylor. Wait, maybe we better stay put. I mean think about this: Colorado and Missouri leave and if Nebraska and A/M stay and have this current Big 12 slate of a round robin. We get our rival game with OU back, we have games against TCU and A/M every year!!!!! KSU game back. These games made everyone better!!!!!! Now we have Nwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland Wisky, Iowa and Mich St. Makes me wonder what could have been and what Bo could have done. He had success against most of those schools other than OU and Texas. He was gaining on those guys as well.

Has Richt played the National Title? No Auburn and Alabama have. You really can make a case for Richt and Pelini being the same guy. Georgia is in the weaker of the divisions in the SEC, like the Big Ten west is for Nebraska. Missouri played for the SEC title last year. So Yeah, I am saying that there is not that earth shattering of a difference between Richt and BO. I guess, weve all seen Georgia in the last few years, which team appears to have more talent on the field? Georgia has had the talent. Maybe didn't bring it too the bowl games every year, but overwhelmingly they have the talent. Yes, Richt is solid, but hasn't taken the world by fire yet, and more than likely won't. Could he come to NU and do whats needed to get NU back at least in the mix for a Big 10 title?.............Can he recruit that talent and speed to a cold weather midwest state? Those are scary questions to ask and actually think about the answer. Yes, at one time OU, NU and even CU Buffs got all the talent they needed to compete nationally. They all won titles. The game is now evolved into a warm weather southern game. SEC is ruling the landscape in recruiting and winning. Oregon with all its hype, haven't competed well against tough, rugged teams that play smash mouth defense. Arizona and Arizona ST are competing . Baylor plays in a warmer climate and apparently are getting enough recruits and speed. Who can Nebraska get to bring the traditon back, and play for at least conference titles on a year in and year out basis? I would say one thing: Go back to the Big 12. Imagine playing actual football again against football schools. Texas, TCU, OU, OSU, KSU and Baylor. Wait, maybe we better stay put. I mean think about this: Colorado and Missouri leave and if Nebraska and A/M stay and have this current Big 12 slate of a round robin. We get our rival game with OU back, we have games against TCU and A/M every year!!!!! KSU game back. These games made everyone better!!!!!! Now we have Nwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland Wisky, Iowa and Mich St. Makes me wonder what could have been and what Bo could have done. He had success against most of those schools other than OU and Texas. He was gaining on those guys as well.

You attempt to compare Richt and Pelini by comparing their divisions. Yet, Richt has won SEC titles. Pelini has won no divison titles. Richt has finished in the top 10. Pelini occasionally finishes in the top 25. If the divisons were similar an they are similar coaches, then Pelini would win the occasional divisional title, which he has failed to do. To compare their success, is silly. The only thing you could say is similar is that both coaches haven't won a national championship. A national championship is hard to win and many good coaches have failed to win one of those. Also, I have no clue what point you were trying to make with the second half of your post as you seemed to be all over the place (back in the Big 12 what???!)

Richt is a good coach, good recruiter. Is he going to take NU back to the next level of winning at least conference titles is the question. I feel that if Bo is replaced, this could be the most important hire that NU ever makes for a coach. Can we afford to hire another Bo or even worse another Callahan? No way can this happen again or I feel the tradition and the spirit to a point of no return.

Big 12 comment is based on losing what was once a great game with OU, even if it was an every two year deal. Now the Big 10 is making attempts at rivalry games with Iowa and Wisky. Nice, but will never carry the same level as what we had. I think that having a true rival makes things more relevant overall. Do I want a switch back to the Big 12, NO. But that conference is still more football relevant overall.

Pelini did win the North division in the Big 12 twice. Yes, thats not the Big 10 west, but he did win a division title. At a point when the North division in the Big 12 was way better than what he has played in the Big 10 divisions so far.

Not totally against Richt, but don't think he is the answer for this program right now. Patterson would be my choice, but thats a hard sell with a recruiting base in Texas that may not want to play in the Big 10. I will stick to what i said about Richt and Pelini being similar.

Richt is a good coach, good recruiter. Is he going to take NU back to the next level of winning at least conference titles is the question. I feel that if Bo is replaced, this could be the most important hire that NU ever makes for a coach. Can we afford to hire another Bo or even worse another Callahan? No way can this happen again or I feel the tradition and the spirit to a point of no return.

Big 12 comment is based on losing what was once a great game with OU, even if it was an every two year deal. Now the Big 10 is making attempts at rivalry games with Iowa and Wisky. Nice, but will never carry the same level as what we had. I think that having a true rival makes things more relevant overall. Do I want a switch back to the Big 12, NO. But that conference is still more football relevant overall.

Pelini did win the North division in the Big 12 twice. Yes, thats not the Big 10 west, but he did win a division title. At a point when the North division in the Big 12 was way better than what he has played in the Big 10 divisions so far.

Not totally against Richt, but don't think he is the answer for this program right now. Patterson would be my choice, but thats a hard sell with a recruiting base in Texas that may not want to play in the Big 10. I will stick to what i said about Richt and Pelini being similar.

I really don't want to go into it any further with you but I hope you understand the difference between winning conference championships and winning a side of your divison. Richt has won conference championships while Pelini has no conference championships. Not saying Richt is the only hire NU should make, but to compare Richt's success to Pelini's success is an unfair comparison