Why is Ron Brown always regarded as a keeper?

f***in fan

Despite, or because of RB religious convictions he is a very good coach. The two things really don't have anything to do with each other. He makes no bones about his beliefs and is entitled to them. I have been in small group conversations with him a couple of times at coaches clinics he is not pushing his beliefs on anyone in that type of setting. Unless he is asked to speak on something of that nature it really never comes up.

Besides that he is one put together dude. I think he is 57 years old and looks like he is about 37. The guy has huge quad muscles for someone that size. :ahhhhhhhh

I am no fan of the evangelical right. So I am perhaps biased but why is Ron Brown always regarded as must keep on the staff? He has been part of the same dreary staff for a long time. His ties to Frank Solich? His ties to Tom Osborne?

I am not really sold on Tom's boys anymore. Turner Gill would have been terrible here and Frankie is not confused for Urban Meyer in Ohio............

You have 1 post and it is nothing more than an attempt to attack Christians? Wow. Just go away and never return. Ron Brown has done nothing but good for this program and I'm fairly certain his religious beliefs shouldn't dictate whether or not he is a good coach. As a matter of fact he's probably better for it. Now why dont you go jump on your magic carpet and fly back to your sandbox.

I mentioned Ron Brown as the "obvious choice" for the continuity coach in a post yesterday, so maybe this thread is referencing that?

I mentioned Brown because he's the least "Bo's Guy" coach on the staff that a new coach would consider retaining. The other two are Cotton and Garrison, but I doubt they would be kept. Cotton for obvious reasons and Garrison because he's not a proven commodity and a new coach probably has a short list of O Line coaches in his hip pocket, and it's unlikely Garrison is on that list.

Coach Brown is the clear choice because he's well-liked by the vast majority of fans, he's a link to the Glory Days, and he's a pretty solid coach. If you have to keep a guy from the previous regime to help the players transition to your staff/way of doing things, Brown's a pretty good candidate. He's not likely to make waves in the meeting rooms, he's not going to drive players away subversively, he's just a get-it-done guy. He's pretty easy to get along with as well. That's important.

Someone mentioned Warren as an option in that thread yesterday, and I have no reason to believe he's not a good choice. I don't know much about his pedigree so I can't give reasons pro or con on him.

:thumbs I agree 100%. I was going to mention something like this in one of the other threads as well but forgot to. Brown's units have always performed, he doesn't make waves and he is the one link back to the glory days that I don't think this program should forget. A new coach, regardless of how great he might have been still needs to understand the NU culture. Billy C failed in that regard and the fans soon turned on him.

Well what's really funny is that Abdullah isn't a Christian. Yet Ron could help him with his faith and turn him into a man that believes wholly in his abilities. That's what he has that no other coach on our team has. Ron makes you believe in yourself, and not always by compliments either. Someone asked is it the coach or is it the player....well it's both. Ron see's the potential of the player and takes that player or players and drives the metal part of it into their heads. He makes them reach their potential. Brown would be a HUGE loss to this program if he ever decided to leave. He is not greedy, and he knows how to work with people and believes in what he preaches.

Brown's probably the best coach we have on staff.... and I say that as someone who is very far apart from him politically.

Agreed on both points. I disagree with most, if not all, of his personal beliefs but I cannot help but respect him.

• RB's position group have always performed very well.
  • RB motivates and develops players.
  • RB understands players psyche as well or better than any coach out there.
  • RB can relate & build bonds with players/their families from any background.
  • RB is pretty self-aware, at least as a coach. He is happy being a VERY successful position coach.

If actions/results matter, why would we NOT want him?

Well what's really funny is that Abdullah isn't a Christian. Yet Ron could help him with his faith and turn him into a man that believes wholly in his abilities. That's what he has that no other coach on our team has. Ron makes you believe in yourself, and not always by compliments either. Someone asked is it the coach or is it the player....well it's both. Ron see's the potential of the player and takes that player or players and drives the metal part of it into their heads. He makes them reach their potential. Brown would be a HUGE loss to this program if he ever decided to leave. He is not greedy, and he knows how to work with people and believes in what he preaches.

We aren't going to turn this into a referendum on religion or anyone's faith. If we want to talk about religion, take it to the P&R forum.

I left this thread open in the hopes it would focus on Coach Brown's coaching abilities. If not....

Mod has warned. Please change the subject. The man's faith has nothing to do with this thread.

We aren't going to turn this into a referendum on religion or anyone's faith. If we want to talk about religion, take it to the P&R forum.

I left this thread open in the hopes it would focus on Coach Brown's coaching abilities. If not....

Mod has warned. Please change the subject. The man's faith has nothing to do with this thread.

The man's faith has a lot to do with this thread because it's one of his most distinguishing characteristics and as Coach Brown himself would tell you, it's the one thing that influences all of the rest.

I don't think knapp has any problem with faith being in the conversation because it's an important aspect of the conversation but rather if the conversation turns towards that being the focus of the thread.

• Fire 1

The thread about Coach Brown testifying in Omaha a year or two ago started off in this forum, but as it turned more and more into an analysis of his faith, it got moved to a more appropriate forum. We can do that with this thread, but I was thinking we'd just focus on his abilities as a coach and leave that part of him out of it. If his faith has to be involved in the conversation, we can move it. It's a couple of clicks to move a thread. I don't mind either way.

Anyone every notice that during games Brown seems to be the only coach immune to the Boplosion? Seriously Go back and watch games. Bo blows and has blown his top on everyone, but when he tries to do it to Brown, for whatever reason, he's able to refrain.

Bless thee child.

Wasn't there a priest stationed relatively close to Bo on the sideline for a while after the 2010 Texas A&M game? Seem to remember the story making the LJS . . .

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. " I am Catholic not "Christian" which I have heard numerous times from the same folks who worship Ron Brown. I do not buy that he is the only coach to keep. Everyone dumps on Barney Cotton, does anyone know he is not a great husband and father? He just is not as public with his praying.

Would you bet on a Ron Brown replacement getting his men more prepared to play than Ron Brown? I wouldn't.

I think we have a few keepers on the staff. Warren's another one.

I don't know. I mean Abdullah and Burkhead obviously flourished with Brown. How much of that is the player and how much is the coach is open to debate. Clearly, though, Cross isn't really getting better. Newby's pretty young still, but apparently can't beat out Cross for #2...

We supposedly have all of these great backs, but if we don't have Abdullah to carry the ball 30 times a game for 200 yards, the offense is completely f***ed.

Well I wonder how much of that is dictated by Brown.

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. " I am Catholic not "Christian" which I have heard numerous times from the same folks who worship Ron Brown. I do not buy that he is the only coach to keep. Everyone dumps on Barney Cotton, does anyone know he is not a great husband and father? He just is not as public with his praying.

If you are a Catholic you are a Christian, but that's for another thread. And we dump on Cotton because our offensive lines haven't been that great. Name the last not good RB at NU.

Wasn't there a priest stationed relatively close to Bo on the sideline for a while after the 2010 Texas A&M game? Seem to remember the story making the LJS . . .

Father Matya is his name and he's always on the sideline. And travels with the team. Great guy, drinks like a fish, learned the hard way buying him a load of drinks in Overland Park night before Kansas game.

Back on topic...