Roll Call - who is left in the Bo camp?

carlfense

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not many Coaches chompin' at the bit to coach at a place that wants to fire you after other guy was winning 9+ a year and they wanted his head..

This statement is often said here, but is not credible.

Just show prospective coaches the lowlights of either of the Wisconsin blow outs and tell them Nebraska is looking for a coach that has the ability to stop and /or adjust to two or three simple run plays better than what they see in these films. Every potential coach would state that Nebraska deservers better.

Change now would start another spiral we wouldn't want to see... Not many Coaches chompin' at the bit to coach at a place that wants to fire you after other guy was winning 9+ a year and they wanted his head.. Changes need to be made on staff, but not at the top IMO.. It amazes me at how many people on this site are upset by having an emotional coach when all they did was complain about the last guy who was a statue... SMH..

*makes loud buzzer noise*

Numerous analysts have outspoken on radio shows and such on how different this situation would be than 2003. That interest in Nebraska would be plenty high. And I agree. Anyone from anywhere in the country can watch Nebraska on saturdays and see a strong level of talent and ability, yet be totally slopply and lacking in how it is played. Any good coach, in my opinion, can see that there are all sorts of possibilities with this job. Bo has done a good job of rebuilding somethings and getting us to this level of stability (if you wanna call it that I guess), but he's not gonna take the next step. I guarantee that someone is out there that would love a chance to do it. It's not 2003. The cupboard is not empty. The facilities are not behind. And the passion of the fanbase to "get back" has never been so high.

Change now would start another spiral we wouldn't want to see... Not many Coaches chompin' at the bit to coach at a place that wants to fire you after other guy was winning 9+ a year and they wanted his head.. Changes need to be made on staff, but not at the top IMO.. It amazes me at how many people on this site are upset by having an emotional coach when all they did was complain about the last guy who was a statue... SMH..

About the whole 9 win coach horsecrap......

Remember Penn St? Sure you do. And I'm sure you remember they had a little bit of kerfuffle rise up in the fall of 2011. They were completely humiliated and scarred. A legendary coach fired. The worst scandal in college sports. Real belief that they were getting the death penalty. Assured years of scholarship reductions and bowl bans. A toxic job, to be sure.

Who'd they get? One of the more respected coordinators in the nfl from one of the Belichek tree. And when he left, after some success, and still under sanction, who'd they get? One of the hottest coaches in the sec.

This isn't meant at you as much as the argument, but if the argument really is "Nebraska can't get a good coach because Bo wins 9 games and they fired Frank Solich once" when. Penn st proves anyone can hire anyone when they made two splash hires in THE WAKE OF THE WORST SCANDAL IN COLLEGE SPORTS, then the camp that wants to keep Bo needs to come up with something a little less insulting.

• Fire 3

With the first 4 games in on the season, I summed up the football team with this statement: The talent and leadership on this team will mask the coaching issues.

Boy....was I wrong.....I want Bo gone. The last 4 years of consitent ass whoopings validated my sentiments about this coaching staff. Regardless of talent, NEB won't win anything of worth with this staff IMO.

The "people on this site are upset" line is a straw man. "People on this site" is not some homogenous group. It is not factually accurate to lump Those Who Are Upset With an Emotional Coach with Those Who Complained About Callahan. Neither group seems to be a real thing.

Regarding the downward spiral if we fire Bo. I'm not thinking so. There's ample knowledge nationally about Bo's temper and how it reflects poorly on Nebraska. There is ample knowledge out there about the seasonal bitch-slappings we're dealt by even mediocre opponents. Perception will NOT be the same if we fire Bo compared to when we fired Solich. Different coaches, different results on the field, different perceptions of those coaches and how they fit with this program, different Administrations running the show. Eichorst is not Steve Pederson, that's a HUGE difference right there.

EDIT - and to expound on the downward spiral a bit more... we're in a spiral right now, going around and around and arriving at the same place as before, with Bo at the helm. Bo could still fix things and become a successful coach, given a few more years and some growth in his understanding of the job. But we could hire a new coach and have that same growing period, maybe even shorter, with the bonus of divesting ourselves of all the excess baggage that comes with Bo.

Having that fresh start will assuage some of the growing pains of the new coach's first year or two.

Recruiting is on the upswing.

It seems like that is said every year . . . and I disagree. Our recruiting results are pretty consistent.
No man, just you wait! You know that guy Gregory who I hate now and I say won't even be all Big Ten? He should be a top five pick and proof Bo gets it!

Meanwhile, our elite 11 QB reads comic books in his dorm, never seeing the field, never being coached, and if he's smart, planning his transfer to Arizona.

The kabuki theatre that is "Bo's got recruiting on the upswing and progressing overall, especially if he hired new ac's" is about as believable as pro wrestling being real at this point.

I think that I have a much better perspective about our overall talent now that I don't obsessively follow individual recruits. I think that I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Probably very easy to fall in love with the individuals.

But the Stanton case is very troubling to me. Every vehicle that I saw (granted, I don't follow much) implied that this kid has the pedigree and the chops. He can't progress past third string while the starter tosses arm punts with two guys wide open? He can't even see the field at all?

The only talk about him is that "he needs time to get it" from the coaches. I'm going to need a ton of convincing at this point that these coaches,especially the offensive ones can make players out of top recruits, let alone ones that were only given QB offered by Nebraska and So Miss

Agree - either the players are hyped beyond reason or we cannot coach them up once they get here. As poorly as Armstrong has played - I can't believe the other 2 guys can't do better. This has been Bo's problem - too loyal to staff and too loyal to some of the starters to make changes. Look at the OL - continued problems yet we start the same guys who have no answers. I've seen enough. After MSU I lost all hope that we would be a conf championship team. I only held out some hope we could find a way to the CCG - yet in the back of my mind I was fearing another blow out by MSU (who wouldn't take their foot off the gas like they did in the 1st game) or against OSU. Wisc prevented that CCG melt down. Bo has no clue when something goes against his schemes and doesn't make adjustments. He gets out coached ever time and this includes his DC and OC. Changing coordinators won't fix this problem. Why would NU fans, the AD, BOR, Chancellor want to continue pour millions of $$s and emotions into a program that gets such average results. Our investment is worthy of a greater return.

• Fire 1

The season is 12 games long, and there's any number of ways these last 2 games will go. I don't think anyone can realistically claim to know how it's going to happen. We've seen both good and bad this year, and we've seen teams all over the country look radically different from one week to the next.

Could we lose these last two games? Yes. Could we drop 50 on Minnesota tomorrow? Also yes.

I like Shawn Eichorst, our athletic director, and I think his example is one to follow: save the judgments for after the entire season is over.

I don't know what you're talking about with Eichorst, he wanted Bo gone after Iowa but couldn't get backing from a certain big time donor or two. So we're a full season removed from that and with what we've seen I don't think anything so far or remaining will change him from his current stance.

Callahan didnt deserve another year regardless of class rating. Bring in a top 5 class after a 5-7 year, go 8-4 the following, and 6-6 the following. Rinse and repeat. He needed about 10 years before he would have started doing anything noteworthy.

how long do you think it will take bo?

I thought it would take less than 7, but...

Still though, he did worlds better in 3 years than Billy did. Counter is he did it with Billys recruits. Well, the latest three year term was better than Billys too. Which one would do better in 10 years? Id like to think Bo.

At what point does this take a step forward? It might be year 10.

About the whole 9 win coach horsecrap......

Remember Penn St? Sure you do. And I'm sure you remember they had a little bit of kerfuffle rise up in the fall of 2011. They were completely humiliated and scarred. A legendary coach fired. The worst scandal in college sports. Real belief that they were getting the death penalty. Assured years of scholarship reductions and bowl bans. A toxic job, to be sure.

Who'd they get? One of the more respected coordinators in the nfl from one of the Belichek tree. And when he left, after some success, and still under sanction, who'd they get? One of the hottest coaches in the sec.

This isn't meant at you as much as the argument, but if the argument really is "Nebraska can't get a good coach because Bo wins 9 games and they fired Frank Solich once" when. Penn st proves anyone can hire anyone when they made two splash hires in THE WAKE OF THE WORST SCANDAL IN COLLEGE SPORTS, then the camp that wants to keep Bo needs to come up with something a little less insulting.

+1 I'm soooo tired of this lame excuse. Will forever keep us from becoming great and we'll remain in Bogadory

Callahan didnt deserve another year regardless of class rating. Bring in a top 5 class after a 5-7 year, go 8-4 the following, and 6-6 the following. Rinse and repeat. He needed about 10 years before he would have started doing anything noteworthy.

how long do you think it will take bo?

I thought it would take less than 7, but...

Still though, he did worlds better in 3 years than Billy did. Counter is he did it with Billys recruits. Well, the latest three year term was better than Billys too. Which one would do better in 10 years? Id like to think Bo.

At what point does this take a step forward? It might be year 10.

i would not want to see this team against our 2007 schedule.

it is hard to ignore how much bo has benefited from a soft schedule.