11 years ago

Ulty

I find it amazing that when we discuss which coaches need to pack their bags and go that none of these names are mentioned:

Mike Arthur, James Dobson, Tyler Clarke, Willie Jones, and Taylor Porter. These are the strength and conditioning coaches. Mike Arthur isn't directly involved with the football program but he is the director of all S&C. They have done a miserable job and should be in no job higher than a spot at a local YMCA.

With this many S&C coaches we shouldn't have so many linemen who look just plain fat.

T_O_B

• Fire 2

I agree with the OP. I wanted Frank fired after 2002 OR make changes. In 2003, Frank made the chances. Personally, I think Frank should have been retained for another year to see what happened. Frank's, biggest issue IMO? Carl Crawford chose baseball. Carl could've been Solich's TF...... I was living in South FL at the time and folks came up to me at church asking what I thought about Frank being fired. I was actually surprised. Honestly, I'll be surprised if Bo is let go...If no changes are made, I will also be completely disappointed..

Frank and Bo differ in this. Frank made changes. Unsure if Bo will and would anyone worth their abilities be wiling to coach under Bo. Unsure either how you could "assure that DC X and OC X will be allowed to run their system free from Bo's meddling"......

I find it amazing that when we discuss which coaches need to pack their bags and go that none of these names are mentioned:

Mike Arthur, James Dobson, Tyler Clarke, Willie Jones, and Taylor Porter. These are the strength and conditioning coaches. Mike Arthur isn't directly involved with the football program but he is the director of all S&C. They have done a miserable job and should be in no job higher than a spot at a local YMCA.

With this many S&C coaches we shouldn't have so many linemen who look just plain fat.

T_O_B

I am TRULY HOPING that is why Boyd was brought back. I know he is there to "oversee the S&C at NU EXCEPT for football", but IMO, you don't bring a guy like Boyd back with his knowledge and expertise and NOT have him over the biggest program at NU...........

Our guys simply do not pass the eyeball test in regards to the "physical look"....We also seem to be worn down quickly, injury prone and weak at the LOS.

The new staff could be retained potentially depending who would be brought in.

You just made Hedley's point right here...what seasoned staff would have an incentive to come here if there is even a slight chance of being replaced within one year

Bingo. It is dang obvious to the entire country Bo is either canned or will be shortly. Why leave your current gig unless you were just fired to come to NU? You wouldn't

That's why I said we'd just as well stamp the DC title on Bo. Pap is basically a wasted staff spot because he has no say in it.

Just watched TCU play last night, and IDK if they have a DC position or not, but it's obvious that Patterson calls all the plays on defense.

Bumpas is the DC for TCU.....and yes, they are very similar to Pelini/Papuchis in how they do things......with a huge difference being Bumpas is an experienced DL coach.

There you have it. We are in desperate need of a good LB coach.

That's why I said we'd just as well stamp the DC title on Bo. Pap is basically a wasted staff spot because he has no say in it.

Just watched TCU play last night, and IDK if they have a DC position or not, but it's obvious that Patterson calls all the plays on defense.

Bumpas is the DC for TCU.....and yes, they are very similar to Pelini/Papuchis in how they do things......with a huge difference being Bumpas is an experienced DL coach.

And recruiting coord and ST coord

The new staff could be retained potentially depending who would be brought in.

You just made Hedley's point right here...what seasoned staff would have an incentive to come here if there is even a slight chance of being replaced within one year

If we were to field a quality, consistent offense, I think you'd be surprised the results that it would make on the whole team. I'd venture to say that if we had an offense that wasn't an inconsistent pile of dog crap, we might be undefeated this year and singing a whole different tune. The defense needs scheme adjustments, and the defensive players need to handle adversity a LOT better, but a good offensive system would do a lot to make that happen.

I think Kaz is a good DL coach. Do we actually have a LB coach anymore?

Do you really want a head coach, that has to be FORCED to make staff changes. A coach (such as BO) who is currently un-willing to make those changes (which is obvious to all--even those who want to retain BO, want some change in coordinators for the most part). is either:

A; unwilling to properly evaluate the gravity of the situation that necessitates the change

B: too stubborn and proud to make those changes

neither of the above answers are what I would consider to be desirable traits in a head football coach.

Off to watch the game with my father--it will likely be the last game he ever sees as he is in his final days

GBR

I think Kaz is a good DL coach. Do we actually have a LB coach anymore?

Good question because it doesn't seem like it. Seems like BP scheme's often removes one LB and sticks in an extra coverage guy to fill the spot....in case a team does a run play instead of throwing. Which ticks me off. 4 - 2 - 5 is not a choice option for the B1G.

Do you really want a head coach, that has to be FORCED to make staff changes. A coach (such as BO) who is currently un-willing to make those changes (which is obvious to all--even those who want to retain BO, want some change in coordinators for the most part).

I've been reading this comment a lot lately, and I guess I'm not seeing the same things. Did he not get rid of Watson and _____(WR coach, can't remember his name)___ a few years ago?

I think the writing is on the wall at least for some of the offensive staff. If Beck is still the OC after tomorrow, consider me extremely pissed.

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

If that's the case, here are the coaches who HAVE to go:

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Priorities going forward:

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

Why would a seasoned staff want to climb aboard the sinking ship?

Why would any head coach if we fire Pelini?

I don't see many similarities. In 03', KState easily plays for a NC had El Roberson not got injured before the Marshall game. People tend to forget that KState took OU behind the shed in the Big 12 Championship game even though most national pundits had all but anointed OU the NC. We haven't even come close to playing a team this year of the same caliber as KState in 03'.

At the beginning of the week, I felt that Bo was going to be coaching his last game. While that very well may still be the case... As the week went on, the more that I read about the situation, the more I feel that we are keeping Bo and doing a massive staff overhaul.

If that's the case, here are the coaches who HAVE to go:

1) Beck

2) Cotton

3) Garrison

4) Els

5) Papuchis

Priorities going forward:

1. Find a seasoned OC who runs an innovative, effective, SIMPLE offense and knows how to develop a QB. Introduce him to Ron Brown and Rich Fisher and tell him to find 2 assistants that he knows are top hires (1 of which can develop OL talent) and give him the keys to the offense.

2. Hire a new DC who isn't just a yes-man OR stamp the official title of DC on Bo and hire a couple more position coaches that will not be afraid to tell Bo their ideas. One needs to be a LB guru, because our LB play has been subpar for a long time.

3. Adjust the defensive scheme. The way we play the run obviously does not work, and that's been proven several times.

Why would a seasoned staff want to climb aboard the sinking ship?
Why would any head coach if we fire Pelini?
What?