***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

I get so tired of hiring or people who think the OC or DC at a powerhouse like Alabama or wherever should be the next coach somewhere else. Think about it, Pelini was from Nebraska, OU and LSU. He is/was Kirby Smart. How many times does it work out when you hire someone elses OC/DC? It will work for a season or two, but never has long term benefits. I shouldn't say never but its hard. Its easier to recruit to Alabama or Florida St or whom ever if your head coach is Saban, Fischer, or whomever. Think about it. Just becasue your coaching at Alabama doesn't mean you can at Nebraska. Just because he is a good x and o guy at Alabama, it might not translate in recruiting and coaching at another D -1 school.

So tired of that mentality. Thats what got Nebraska into this shape. Did Bo do more than Callahan, Yes. Did he recruit better, NO. Was both an upgrade over Frank, I would say yes to a certain point. These guys were coordinators. Callahan was nothing more than an overhyped coordinator along with Bo and actually Frank. Frank knew one thing and that was option, I formation. Lets get someone with there own identity for a change.

It worked pretty well when Bob Devaney hired an unpaid assistant as his OC and then promoted him to HC. In fact, it worked pretty darn well for 25 years.

The national landscape was far different, especially from a recruiting standpoint, back then. There are a lot of attractive options for kids these days and the name alone does not bring kids into a program.

Tressel is consulting for us.

Link, considering he said he'd like this job.

Yes he would take a HC offer, but not going to be offered yet, but could get a HC in Waiting tag or an OC offer.

Are you serious? A 63 y.o. with a NC as a HC as a HC in waiting? Or OC?

Those wanting Tressel should consider that he did well at a school in the middle of a hotbed of recruits.

IMO we need someone who's proven they can do well in a recruiting wasteland like Nebraska.

How many of the 1995 starters were from Nebraska? I don't recall, but I seem to remember it being more than 50%. Cilly really quit recruiting Nebraska, and Bo didn't revive it.

That's sort of making my point for me. There are coaches who can do well with less talented players. There is no way those 11 players from Nebraska were among the most talented in the country when they were recruited. Osborne was a coach who could do it. We don't know that Tressel can. He probably got 95% of his recruits from within 300 miles of his house and they were mostly 4 stars and some 5 stars. To be successful in Nebraska you either have to be a great recruiter or be able to coach up lesser talent, or both. Oh, and his job before that was at Youngstown. He's never had to fly all over the country to recruit most of his players. He would have to do that now.

Frost head coach. Terrible. He has been calling plays for a system already built for him with most players already there. You think he can bring a system and install it with a less talented team. Get out of here!

Why so much hate for a Nebraska son?

I don't think anyone hates him. However if NU wants to be an upper echelon program in the modern era, taking a chance on an unproven HC prospect who is currently a coordinator would be ill-advised. Not that it can't be done by someone unproven, but wow what a risk.

How big of a risk is it really? The man has succeeded at everything he's done so far.

Every HC was at one time, an assistant/coordinator with no HC experience. Every HC was given his chance by someone. How do you determine if they are worthy of taking a chance on, by their past records. Scott Frost has a pretty good one.

• Fire 1

Frost head coach. Terrible. He has been calling plays for a system already built for him with most players already there. You think he can bring a system and install it with a less talented team. Get out of here!

Why so much hate for a Nebraska son?

I don't think anyone hates him. However if NU wants to be an upper echelon program in the modern era, taking a chance on an unproven HC prospect who is currently a coordinator would be ill-advised. Not that it can't be done by someone unproven, but wow what a risk.

How big of a risk is it really? The man has succeeded at everything he's done so far.

Every HC was at one time, an assistant/coordinator with no HC experience. Every HC was given his chance by someone. How do you determine if they are worthy of taking a chance on, by their past records. Scott Frost has a pretty good one.

Every HC started out as a coordinator, but their fist HC job was not necessarily a top tier program. Being a HC of a program like NU is not just X and O manipulation, but rather a CEO of a multi-million dollar firm. Oregon's success is hardly thought of being primarily attributed to SF.

Deal is already in place for the next head coach. All names that I have heard are good options. Fans will be happy.

Sorry, I'm going to have to remain skeptical.

Any names you want to reveal

He's not going to name names. Gives him the opportunity to say "I was right about so and so." If Mickey Mouse is announced as the new HC, he still has an out to say "I was right." The sock puppet seems to be the only one who has any credibility at this point.

I am not impressed with big name coaches that excell in talent rich recruiting areas and have 4 and 5 star athlethes all over the field. The coaches who get my attention and respect are those who conistently do more with less. Bill Snyder comes to mind first in that department. I am not advocating or suggesting he be our next coach, but I want someone like him.

I think guys who are use to having tons of talent to choose from on the recruiting circuit and on the playing field may get a rude awakening when they step away from that.

• Fire 1