***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

If NU doesn't look at Craig Greg Bohl from Wyoming, I personally think they are making a mistake. Someone is going to grab this guy in a couple years and he will be a big deal. I keep seeing Jerry Kill thrown around, which is crazy, but I think Bohl is a better Jerry Kill. He has won everywhere he has gone and is able to find guys and make them succeed.

Fixed it for ya

I know a kid at the gym (I really do actually) who played qb under fuente when he was a qb coach. Said he was fantastic and credited his success to him. Probably not our guy but sounds like he will be good for somebody in the future.

Fuente has Memphis on the upswing. He wouldn't be a bad choice along with PJ Fleck.

While we're throwing out crazy names that there's no chance they come to Nebraska:

Gus Bradley - Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars

The dude is the Tim Miles of football coaches (they are actually friends from their time at North Dakota St.), and would make a FANTASTIC college football head coach. Smart, energetic, a great football mind, and a guy that would be able to attract recruits to Nebraska.

Obviously not gonna leave a NFL gig for Nebraska (even if it is the Jags) and probably could get another NFL job fairly quickly if the Jags are stupid and fire him, but if I could pick any coach in America to coach Nebraska, he'd be top 3.

Guys I think are out:

Youngstown crew: Stoopses, Tressels, all those are out.

No HC experience: Frost, Herman, Narduzzi

Guys who are not going to leave their current jobs: Harbaugh, Golden, Patterson.

Too "Back-to-the-Solich days": Bohl (how soon we forget he was fired as our DC), Calhoun, Paul Johnson

Guys who were never consistent winners anyway: Schiano, Kill, Grobe, Chryst.

Art Briles I have no idea where to put that guy. Leaving him out.

Leaving:

Kyle Wittingham, Utah

Jim McElwain, CSU

Justin Fuente, Memphis

Mark Richt, UGA (some may put him in the won't leave above, but there's a bit of Pelini-esque unrest with him at UGA)

Mike Gundy, OSU (same as above)

David Cutcliffe, Duke

Rich Rodriguez, Arizona

Dan Mullen, MSU (He will not be at MSU long term, let's be real)

My top 5 wishes, no particular order:

Fuente - Guy can coach and he can coach offense. Plus his ties in recruiting are in Texas.

Mike Gundy - Don't let this down season fool you. He can coach and brought a BCS win to Stillwater. Time to move on.

Jim McElwain - Lack of track record, much like Fuente, scares me a bit, but when you can win with garbage consistently at a program like that, you're doing something right.

Rich Rod - Okay, I get the Michigan thing. I have no idea what happened there. But besides that this guy gets it done. Maybe UM is cursed or maybe the uber-big time program messes with him in some way, which could happen at NU. I hope that he learned from whatever happened at UM and is down to leave UA.

Dan Mullen - One thing that makes me nervous is a coach with a short, impressive track record when he was riding an NFL QB. Anyone can win with Dak Prescott... hope he can do it without him too.

Anybody who wants rich rod is smoking that loud. It would be a huge failure of a hire. I'm pissed he was even mentioned. What are doing here? Trying to make our hole deeper? He failed hard at Michigan. His success at Arizona is plastic.

What do you think as an OSU fan hearing this rumor?

If true, you're going to get a great coach, and a good person. He will win, but you will be frustrated if you're expecting an offensive powerhouse. His teams make few mistakes.

My feelings are, if Nebraska gets Tressel, there's going to be problems (for other teams) I felt the same way when MSU hired D'Antonio (my literal first words when I heard about it were, "Uh oh")

*salivates*

Just remember, Tressel's favorite play is the punt. If he becomes the head coach, you will be frustrated at the lack of offense. But if he gets who he wants for defense, it won't really matter much. (although in this day and age, the playoffs seem to take offense into account, so that could be a detriment for playoffs)

Most Nebraska fans are used to this type of thing. Anyone remember Iso, FB trap, option, punt for the first quarter? that was in our glory days.

Jacksonville's not gonna fire Bradley yet. I love the idea, though. He was great in Seattle and would be very successful in college should he decide to go that route. Seattle's current DC, Dan Quinn, is someone I wish NU would look at also. He left Seattle for a year or two to be the DC at Florida and went back to the Seahawks after Bradley took the Jacksonville job. He's a charismatic guy that would recruit well and his results up in Seattle speak for themselves.