***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

I think Benning and Sharp said that they thought the new HC coached "this" weekend, (said yesterday), meaning that they coached this PAST Friday/Saturday…… which opens the list wide open. I also thought that they said they believed that the announcement would be before this upcoming weekend, meaning that they didn't think the new HC was on the field the weekend of Dec.6th…….. This was how I took it…. especially since they said it would happen before the week is up…..

Makes me think of Richt, Brett B. , McElwein, Bohl, etc

I was driving back from Nebraska to Charleston when I heard the announcement--so had about 20 plus hours of driving time to mull this over.

I think many of us are highly impressed with Frost....but his lack of experience and HC experience is a real obstacle. So, we look to the HC in waiting option with perhaps a Tressell type guy coming into coach 4-5 years while grooming the future HC. The trouble with this scenario is that it creates a "temporary situation" especially with recruits---who is really running the show? Do you recruit based on the established coach or the future coach? And what happens if there is a clash of wills and egos?

But, there is one coach that could overcome all of that--and its none other than Tom Osborne. He comes back for a stated period--say 2-3 years and Frost becomes the OC/Assistant Coach. Osborne grooms him---no clash as they have a history together and then at the appointed time, TO--having rebuilt the program, steps away (again) You break out the checkbook and hire the best DC you can find---someone who wants to be a career DC (Muschamp) and you make him the highest paid DC in the nation. Bring Ron Brown up as the OC in waiting.

Stranger things have occurred

I posted this on another board earlier but its my take on why Richt should be hired.

I believe Eichorst needs a proven winner from a great conference who can bring a potential staff. Richt would certainly bring people with him plus he has great southern recruiting ties.

His W/L record in the SEC....not the B1G, ACC, Sun Belt etc.:

Richt is 135–48 with a .738 (better then BO) record and even though he hasn't won 9 games ever year has won 10 or more 8 times.

Results and championships....again....in the SEC:

Richt has two SEC titles and six division titles. Plus he has been in three BCS bowl appearances with a record of 2–1, and finished in the top ten of the final AP Poll six times.

Randomness:
He is from Nebraska which some people like.
According to Barfknecht he is attached to Eichorsts philosophy and management style.
Allot of crazy Georgians want him gone if you read their boards and the loss to GT didn't help.
He is paid about the same as Pelini so tossing him an extra million will be a nice bump for him.
His season is done other then the bowl which he could skip Bilema style and can start right away to salvage the recruiting class and maybe bring some of his own.

You bring in a guy like that in the B1G west and I am guessing a conference title in 1-2 years. If Gary Anderson can do it......Richt will have no problem doing it.

I know, I know, I know I keep posting this stuff, but:

I saw it listed where a supposed insider said we have contacted 3 of these 6 guys:

Calhoun, Chryst, Briles, Frost, Patterson, and Bohls.

Take it Fwiw.

Ribbit. Ribbit. Ribbit.

Dude, Patterson is not leaving a potential NC at TCU to come here. Just admit, you dont know what youre talking about
Don't feed the troll. Between newby and socko, their intel carries as much weight as my belly button lint.
  • Fire 1

Guys I think are out:

Youngstown crew: Stoopses, Tressels, all those are out.

No HC experience: Frost, Herman, Narduzzi

Guys who are not going to leave their current jobs: Harbaugh, Golden, Patterson.

Too "Back-to-the-Solich days": Bohl (how soon we forget he was fired as our DC), Calhoun, Paul Johnson

Guys who were never consistent winners anyway: Schiano, Kill, Grobe, Chryst.

Art Briles I have no idea where to put that guy. Leaving him out.

Leaving:

Kyle Wittingham, Utah

Jim McElwain, CSU

Justin Fuente, Memphis

Mark Richt, UGA (some may put him in the won't leave above, but there's a bit of Pelini-esque unrest with him at UGA)

Mike Gundy, OSU (same as above)

David Cutcliffe, Duke

Rich Rodriguez, Arizona

Dan Mullen, MSU (He will not be at MSU long term, let's be real)

My top 5 wishes, no particular order:

Fuente - Guy can coach and he can coach offense. Plus his ties in recruiting are in Texas.

Mike Gundy - Don't let this down season fool you. He can coach and brought a BCS win to Stillwater. Time to move on.

Jim McElwain - Lack of track record, much like Fuente, scares me a bit, but when you can win with garbage consistently at a program like that, you're doing something right.

Rich Rod - Okay, I get the Michigan thing. I have no idea what happened there. But besides that this guy gets it done. Maybe UM is cursed or maybe the uber-big time program messes with him in some way, which could happen at NU. I hope that he learned from whatever happened at UM and is down to leave UA.

Dan Mullen - One thing that makes me nervous is a coach with a short, impressive track record when he was riding an NFL QB. Anyone can win with Dak Prescott... hope he can do it without him too.

For the record, Jerry Kill has taken over bad programs and won at every stop along the way including Minnesota. I don't think he comes here but the guy is a winner. Period

I saw it listed where a supposed insider said we have contacted 3 of these 6 guys:

Take it Fwiw.

Ribbit. Ribbit. Ribbit.

Dude, Patterson is not leaving a potential NC at TCU to come here. Just admit, you dont know what youre talking about

Don't feed the troll. Between newby and socko, there intelligence carries as much weight as my belly button lint.

There intelligence?

• Fire 2

Take it Fwiw.

Ribbit. Ribbit. Ribbit.

Don't feed the troll. Between newby and socko, there intelligence carries as much weight as my belly button lint.

There intelligence?

I'm on my phone on a bus to Memphis, buzz off. I edited it happy ?

• Fire 1

This is just killing me, but because you can recruit to Georgia, doesn't mean you can to Lincoln Nebraska. Atlanta is in his hip pocket.

Just because your on Saban's staff, doesn't mean you can recruit for yourself to a different school. Its easy to recruit talent to Alabama with Saban as the main man. Makes easy sell for recruiting having that behind you.

This is why all the speculation and reasons why and why not a certain person would be a great fit for here just blows me away. Nebraska is almost 2 decades removed from winning a NC. 15 years removed from a conference champ. Current high School players don't know about what was Nebraska.

The right guy is different in everyone's eyes. For me, I want a coach who can bring some respect. Have a midwest style of attack. Option style with some spread mixed in. For me that guy would be either Calhoun or Johnson. Option players are still in play. They are now often turned into WR, Rb's and TE. An option QB, and a running back like Newby with Cross at Fullback would just be complete butt kicking. Thats my outtake. Not living in the 90's, but thinking that running the ball is the true identity of Big Red Football. Bring it back mixed with spread/pro style feel and see what happens.

Richt I'd give a c-, briles am A+ Patterson an A

Richt I'd give a c-, briles am A+ Patterson an A

I agree with you here. Richt seems to have the same issue winning the big game at Georgia that Pelini had at Nebraska...have no idea why we would go after him. I also would give Frost a C-rating as I just don't want to have on the job training.

Briles, Patterson, Mullen, and Tressel would all be A hires for me if we are talking coaches with college head coaching experience.