***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 47m47 minutes ago

Georgia head coach Mark Richt laughs, shoots down Nebraska coaching job question. http://bit.ly/12kipfS #Huskers

Yeah. This is along the same linea of the guy who tweeted about Tressel not being interested. Hopefully more hints drop later in the week

B30TILLCcAASddr.jpg

Best news so far today.

i don't think richt will be our guy. but he would have probably reacted that way regardless.

I meant to have Tressel in that mix as well. Johnson, Calhoun, and Tressel have alot of option style in there attacks.

Guys I think are out:

Youngstown crew: Stoopses, Tressels, all those are out.

No HC experience: Frost, Herman, Narduzzi

Guys who are not going to leave their current jobs: Harbaugh, Golden, Patterson.

Too "Back-to-the-Solich days": Bohl (how soon we forget he was fired as our DC), Calhoun, Paul Johnson

Guys who were never consistent winners anyway: Schiano, Kill, Grobe, Chryst.

Art Briles I have no idea where to put that guy. Leaving him out.

Leaving:

Kyle Wittingham, Utah

Jim McElwain, CSU

Justin Fuente, Memphis

Mark Richt, UGA (some may put him in the won't leave above, but there's a bit of Pelini-esque unrest with him at UGA)

Mike Gundy, OSU (same as above)

David Cutcliffe, Duke

Rich Rodriguez, Arizona

Dan Mullen, MSU (He will not be at MSU long term, let's be real)

My top 5 wishes, no particular order:

Fuente - Guy can coach and he can coach offense. Plus his ties in recruiting are in Texas.

Mike Gundy - Don't let this down season fool you. He can coach and brought a BCS win to Stillwater. Time to move on.

Jim McElwain - Lack of track record, much like Fuente, scares me a bit, but when you can win with garbage consistently at a program like that, you're doing something right.

Rich Rod - Okay, I get the Michigan thing. I have no idea what happened there. But besides that this guy gets it done. Maybe UM is cursed or maybe the uber-big time program messes with him in some way, which could happen at NU. I hope that he learned from whatever happened at UM and is down to leave UA.

Dan Mullen - One thing that makes me nervous is a coach with a short, impressive track record when he was riding an NFL QB. Anyone can win with Dak Prescott... hope he can do it without him too.

In defense of Calhoun, the guy was a NFL OC, he took the AF job because he's a graduate from there and he runs the only type of O that can work there. At a major program he'd likely change his O to a more balanced one. But since he's an AF grad I don't know if he'd even leave if he was a candidate.

Nebraska needs to move into the 21st century with this hire and bring in David Shaw from Stanford. Its time for some diversity in head coaches in the FBS.

Isn't Shaw a Stanford alum? I doubt he would want to leave his alma mater which just competed in the Rose Bowl and has been in the top 10 in the prior year.

Shaw is Stanford to the bone. He will retire from there.

If SE is going after a coach that has coached this past weekend, don't you think we would have heard about him asking for permission to speak with said coach? This is why I am thinking Sweater Vest is the leading candidate.

Just a thought!

GO BIG RED!

If all of the reports that SE's guy coached last weekend are true (which i believe) it's obviously not the vest. I say we move on from him, yet If he is the guy, let's be pleasantly surprised.

There wont be an announcement until at least this Sunday. Its my understanding that they must post the job opening for 7 days before officially hiring for the position.

So,

It's halftime on Sunday during the Nebraska Creighton game. Everyone's there, Osborne isn't back in Dallas yet for the selection show, Frost has already coached in the CCG on Friday.

And out walks him and Tressel. Arm in arm.

I'm just gonna ponder that.

If you don't mind.

Believe me when I say, without irony, that it's nice to see you happy.

• Fire 1

@damonbenning

@GarySharp1620 You & I both thought & said yesterday that NU's new coach was a guy that coached this weekend. I believe that more than ever.

@damonbenning

@kevinkugler @dirkchatelain @GarySharp1620 I'm totally speculating, but Im ruling out ALL assistants. I'll take crow warm or cold

So that leaves the following coaches:

Helfrich

Rich Rod

Saban

Pinkel

Paul Johnson

Jimbo Fisher

Gary Andersen

Urban Meyer

Paul Rhoads

Gary Patterson

Bill Snyder

Art Briles

Mike Gundy

Bob Stoops

Then whoever coaches Boise, Fresno, Marshall, and Louisiana Tech

Probably gonna be Bill Snyder.

Helfrich is from Coos Bay, Oregon and grew up an Oregon fan. So we can cross him off :)

If NU doesn't look at Greg Bohl from Wyoming, I personally think they are making a mistake. Someone is going to grab this guy in a couple years and he will be a big deal. I keep seeing Jerry Kill thrown around, which is crazy, but I think Bohl is a better Jerry Kill. He has won everywhere he has gone and is able to find guys and make them succeed.