***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

There is a really good post over at huskeronline on why the huskers SHOULD NOT HIRE MULLEN, i'll post it here. Its from a georgia graduate and fan who's friends with a husker fan

UGA grad here,go to Lincoln about once a yr w/best friend,Husker season tix holder.Love games there--Y'all do NOT want Mullen. There is a reason he wasn't given the time of day by UF when Meyer left and isn't now.Foley knows him better than just about any other AD,MSU,excepted.And won't hire him. 1 )He's an ass.Would not fit well w/Husker fans or admin AT ALL (brusque,loud,from NH) 2) his O has to have a special QB,Tebow or Prescott--thay don't come around often 3) BIG DEAL-- little known fact: in Miss,it's a state law that any instate juco graduating from a JUCO in the state system,HAS to be accepted into any 4 yr school w/in the system.Entrance requirement to Miss Jucos is a PULSE.Bottom line:there is a pipeline from 4 jucos in Miss,where virtual non qualifiers,can go to juco,then play at Ole Miss,MSU and S. Miss.-- That ain't happening at UN.Y'all have integrity and deserve a classy coach. That AIN'T Mullen.--Y'all need an O guy whose a TOP SALESMAN and recruiter,that can get OOS kids to want come and be part of a great tradition.Great school,fans and tradition,but weather and distance make it a tough sell,especially to warm weather kids..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWFyVFMb1GM

source: https://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=176959511

While we're throwing out crazy names that there's no chance they come to Nebraska:

Gus Bradley - Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars

The dude is the Tim Miles of football coaches (they are actually friends from their time at North Dakota St.), and would make a FANTASTIC college football head coach. Smart, energetic, a great football mind, and a guy that would be able to attract recruits to Nebraska.

Obviously not gonna leave a NFL gig for Nebraska (even if it is the Jags) and probably could get another NFL job fairly quickly if the Jags are stupid and fire him, but if I could pick any coach in America to coach Nebraska, he'd be top 3.

I would love Coach Bradley. He is very charismatic and is a great defensive mind. One of my old coaches is on his staff and he is a stud too. They have the personality to be great recruiters and bring the Tampa 2 from NDSU which has been a hotbed for coaches at the next level.

There is a really good post over at huskeronline on why the huskers SHOULD NOT HIRE MULLEN, i'll post it here. Its from a georgia graduate and fan who's friends with a husker fan

UGA grad here,go to Lincoln about once a yr w/best friend,Husker season tix holder.Love games there--Y'all do NOT want Mullen. There is a reason he wasn't given the time of day by UF when Meyer left and isn't now.Foley knows him better than just about any other AD,MSU,excepted.And won't hire him. 1 )He's an ass.Would not fit well w/Husker fans or admin AT ALL (brusque,loud,from NH) 2) his O has to have a special QB,Tebow or Prescott--thay don't come around often 3) BIG DEAL-- little known fact: in Miss,it's a state law that any instate juco graduating from a JUCO in the state system,HAS to be accepted into any 4 yr school w/in the system.Entrance requirement to Miss Jucos is a PULSE.Bottom line:there is a pipeline from 4 jucos in Miss,where virtual non qualifiers,can go to juco,then play at Ole Miss,MSU and S. Miss.-- That ain't happening at UN.Y'all have integrity and deserve a classy coach. That AIN'T Mullen.--Y'all need an O guy whose a TOP SALESMAN and recruiter,that can get OOS kids to want come and be part of a great tradition.Great school,fans and tradition,but weather and distance make it a tough sell,especially to warm weather kids..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWFyVFMb1GM

source: https://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=181&tid=176959511

Is it absolutely crazy to prefer McElwain to Mullen at this point? This guy made some really good points. Point #1 is in direct contrast to the narrative we'd want someone who is the polar opposite of Bo personality wise with this new hire. I guess #2 is a push if he actually finds one of those guys. #3 just ain't happening and I wonder how it'd affect recruiting.

I guess my top 3 kind of remain unchanged:

1) Tressel

2) McElwain

3) Kill

4) Mullen

5) Frost

McElwain and Kill are pretty interchangeable but there's a bit of a handshake agreement in the B1G about hiring away conference coaches, divisional nonetheless. I wouldn't be disappointed with Mullen, just certainly not my first choice. Tressel HC/ Frost OC + HCIW remains the best choice to me.

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 47m47 minutes ago

Georgia head coach Mark Richt laughs, shoots down Nebraska coaching job question. http://bit.ly/12kipfS #Huskers

B30TILLCcAASddr.jpg

Best news so far today.

I dunno. I think Richt would be an awesome get for us. The things he's done at Georgia are far more impressive than Pelini's track record at NU. That is, when you consider the caliber of the SEC teams he's going up against every year. That, and Richt is a helluva recruiter. While we were getting ready for the Gator Bowl last year, Georgia pulled in the #7 ranked recruiting class. I'd trade that for the Gator Bowl win last January. But, just my opinion is all. I don't think Richt is leaving Athens any time soon.

While we're throwing out crazy names that there's no chance they come to Nebraska:

Gus Bradley - Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars

The dude is the Tim Miles of football coaches (they are actually friends from their time at North Dakota St.), and would make a FANTASTIC college football head coach. Smart, energetic, a great football mind, and a guy that would be able to attract recruits to Nebraska.

Obviously not gonna leave a NFL gig for Nebraska (even if it is the Jags) and probably could get another NFL job fairly quickly if the Jags are stupid and fire him, but if I could pick any coach in America to coach Nebraska, he'd be top 3.

I would love Coach Bradley. He is very charismatic and is a great defensive mind. One of my old coaches is on his staff and he is a stud too. They have the personality to be great recruiters and bring the Tampa 2 from NDSU which has been a hotbed for coaches at the next level.

No to Gus. Big Seahawks fan, and while liked as a man and respected Gus was/is not considered a very good coach in Hawk circles. More a product of his massive talent and Pete Carroll. If we were to go with someone from the PC tree, I'd go with the Hawks current DC Dan Quinn. He's not too high up on my list, but he runs a very simple defense that emphasizes playing loose vs out-scheming people. But, you need some very talented, very dedicated, and very smart players to make it work. So there's that.

Michael Bruntz@michaelbruntz 47m47 minutes ago

Georgia head coach Mark Richt laughs, shoots down Nebraska coaching job question. http://bit.ly/12kipfS #Huskers

B30TILLCcAASddr.jpg

Best news so far today.

I dunno. I think Richt would be an awesome get for us. The things he's done at Georgia are far more impressive than Pelini's track record at NU. That is, when you consider the caliber of the SEC teams he's going up against every year. That, and Richt is a helluva recruiter. While we were getting ready for the Gator Bowl last year, Georgia pulled in the #7 ranked recruiting class. I'd trade that for the Gator Bowl win last January. But, just my opinion is all. I don't think Richt is leaving Athens any time soon.

I don't either. He's got job security in the best conference in football with a relatively easy path to the CCG, and hauls in recruits by the dozen since he's in a hotbed. He's got literally no reason to leave, as it appears he doesn't have the dream of rebuilding the Huskers to the glory days of ole... probably since he moved to FLA and finished HS there.

Richt strikes me as the Bo of the SEC... always loses a couple or three games a year he shouldn't and he heasn't quite gotten over the hump Hasn't been to a BCS bowl since 2007.

Much better options on the table.

I don't either. He's got job security in the best conference in football with a relatively easy path to the CCG, and hauls in recruits by the dozen since he's in a hotbed. He's got literally no reason to leave, as it appears he doesn't have the dream of rebuilding the Huskers to the glory days of ole... probably since he moved to FLA and finished HS there.

Richt strikes me as the Bo of the SEC... always loses a couple or three games a year he shouldn't and he heasn't quite gotten over the hump Hasn't been to a BCS bowl since 2007.

That seems to be the consensus on this board. But if you look at his losses the past couple of years, they've all been narrow losses to pretty good teams. Well, except for his loss to a 9-4 Vandy team last year, and (arguably) the loss to NU in the bowl game. Other than those two, all of Richt's losses since the 2011 season were to teams ranked about the same or higher than Georgia.

One dig I have on Richt is that, if he's not playing in a "big time" bowl, his team seems to lose focus and get beat. We beat the Dawgs last year in the Gator. Sparty beat them three years ago in the Outback. And they got beat by (Ha ha!) the Central Florida in the Liberty Bowl four years ago. That, and Richt's Dawgs always get owned when they make the SEC championship. Then again, he's going up against the SEC West champ which is generally one of the top couple of teams in the nation.

So I guess what I'm saying is that IMHO Richt would be a big improvement over Pelini. But it's probly a moot point since Richt seems set on staying with the Dawgs. Then again, he did negotiate a very small buyout clause in his last contract...

That seems to be the consensus on this board. But if you look at his losses the past couple of years, they've all been narrow losses to pretty good teams. Well, except for his loss to a 9-4 Vandy team last year, and (arguably) the loss to NU in the bowl game. Other than those two, all of Richt's losses since the 2011 season were to teams ranked about the same or higher than Georgia.

What?!?