Who hires Pelini next

Bo's defense would be different on a team where he can totally focus on defense. In addition to what he was doing before as HC he also working on fixing the ST's this season. He simply can't spend all the time it takes to coach-up a defense in this system while also heading-up the team as a whole. As was said earlier you have to go out and find the best staff possible then be more of a CEO.

Bo's scheme does require talent, if he DC's at a program that recruits well he'll do well. If Bo gets another HC job he needs to learn from his mistakes here. Throw friendships and ego aside to hire the best coaches possible regardless of prior relationship then let them do their jobs.

I think it's pretty obvious Saban hired Kiffin for one job, and one job only. Outscore Gus Malzahn. And he did it. What do we always say about great coaches? They quickly recognize their faults and fix them. Bo didnt. Saban did. Saban quickly recognized he couldnt stop Malzahn. So he got the tool he needed to outscore him. With with an experienced, seasoned qb, that could quickly receive knowledge from Kiffin and get the ball to their generational talant as WR. It was that simple.

i think this is why Bo will find work as a DC. His strong suits will be analyzed, and someone will say "i need this guy to stop such and such so I can get over the hump" and so on.

Blake Lipton ‏@BlakeABCCola 10m10 minutes ago

Hearing word that Bo Pelini was flown into Columbia Sunday on a private plane with Spurrier awaiting his arrival #SouthCarolina #Gamecocks

Something like this wouldn't surprise me. Bo knows defense. He needs someone (a boss) to take him aside though and tell him...."Psssst....Bo....stop the run buddy....then let's worry about the pass"

Blake Lipton ‏@BlakeABCCola 10m10 minutes ago

Hearing word that Bo Pelini was flown into Columbia Sunday on a private plane with Spurrier awaiting his arrival #SouthCarolina #Gamecocks

Something like this wouldn't surprise me. Bo knows defense. He needs someone (a boss) to take him aside though and tell him...."Psssst....Bo....stop the run buddy....then let's worry about the pass"

he also needs really great talent, which he could get there.

I think a hard scrabble guy from the wrong side of the tracks like Bo might do well at Penn State. He's from that region and most likely wouldn't have the recruiting problems he had here which sometimes made the team resemble the Island of Misfit Toys. He could pull enough hard nosed BIG style players out of Pittsburg alone to make a pretty stout team that wouldn't fold in the arctic temperatures.Illinois and Northwestern also come to mind but they don't have near the commitment in facilities as Penn State. Also Bo may cuss a lot but he has good character and would be the kind of players coach who I think would excel in that culture.

So if he takes a job somewhere, does his new salary get deducted from the buyout? I always wondered how this worked.

The buyout I think is 151k over 51 weeks. That's a total of 7.7 mil.

If he takes a job over 1.8 mil/year, the buyout is void.

If he takes a job under 1.8 mil/year, we're only responsible for the difference, which at a mil/year would be about 70k.

My initial numbers may be off, but this is the process that I saw on the news.

• Fire 1

So if he takes a job somewhere, does his new salary get deducted from the buyout? I always wondered how this worked.

The buyout I think is 151k over 51 weeks. That's a total of 7.7 mil.

If he takes a job over 1.8 mil/year, the buyout is void.

If he takes a job under 1.8 mil/year, we're only responsible for the difference, which at a mil/year would be about 70k.

My initial numbers may be off, but this is the process that I saw on the news.

Excellent info, thank you.