The collateral damage of firing Bo Pelini

knapplc

first, choose the school, not the coach.

I just don't think this is reasonable tbh. Do you have any examples of recruits that have been on record saying anything to this kind of sentiment? Maybe at a place like Texas or USC, but the only kids here that we can fairly expect to choose the school over the coach are kids that grew up in the state and were indoctrinated from day one.

You are told, from day one, commit to the school, not the coach.

Not much else to say.

I just don't think this is reasonable tbh. Do you have any examples of recruits that have been on record saying anything to this kind of sentiment? Maybe at a place like Texas or USC, but the only kids here that we can fairly expect to choose the school over the coach are kids that grew up in the state and were indoctrinated from day one.

Not much else to say.

Who is? By who? I've never heard that.

Not much else to say.

That is a very fundamental lesson taught to any student athlete.

Not much else to say.

Yet almost every recruit (unless it is their dream school) commits to a school because of the coaches.

• Fire 1

Not much else to say.

Yet almost every recruit (unless it is their dream school) commits to a school because of the coaches.

It's like sales, you discover what's important and you pitch that, and most buy from those they like - the coach.

I made my choice of team to root for regardless of coach a long time ago.

Why else would I come to this crapstorm multiple times a day?

you have a boring job like the rest of us?

That is probably a big part of it. I come here for the stimulating husker football talk I dont get from my friends because they would actually rather discuss other topics....losers.

Selfishly I dont wanna lose this class because Ive followed the recruiting harder this year than I ever have before. For Nebraska I hate losing the talent. Hopefully the next guy can persuade them to stay or find guys to fill the gaps. Im sure will be ok either way. Actually I feel bad for Mavric who has invested so much time and effort into the recruitment.

The rumblings about the way this staff and Bo in particular are handling this decision makes me a little wary. Sounds like ish could get ugly.

Do you think anyone would really listen to what they had to say publicly if it was negative? It would be a "Oh, you're just mad you got fired!" type of response. Now, the stuff about calling recruits, yeah, that's B.S. but not surprising. This staff has been volatile at best at that begins and ends with the CEO, Bo.

The rumblings about the way this staff and Bo in particular are handling this decision makes me a little wary. Sounds like ish could get ugly.

Do you think anyone would really listen to what they had to say publicly if it was negative? It would be a "Oh, you're just mad you got fired!" type of response. Now, the stuff about calling recruits, yeah, that's B.S. but not surprising. This staff has been volatile at best at that begins and ends with the CEO, Bo.

If it gets that ugly is that give a justifiable reason to not pay a buyout? I wouldn't think he would screw that up.

I posted this in another thread a couple minutes ago. But I think it belongs in here most.

You know what scares me the most?

Looking back now without my RosyRed blinders on, and seeing what's going on and this apparent sh**ty culture and so on, I have this really sh**ty feeling that at some point in the future, near or far, we're gonna look back on these seven years and say, without a doubt, that Bo did more damage to this program than Callahan and Pedersen did. Does anyone else have this eery feeling?

And I defended the guy till nearly the bitter end. But it was for what I thought was the best for the PROGRAM, at the time. Last year after the Iowa game when I assumed he was gone, I was ready for a fresh start then. When it was said he was coming back, I jumped back on. Spent the offseason defending him in the same arguments over and over. Using the same 9wins bullsh#t and ridiculous propaganda that I laugh at now, for the sake of blind support of the program. Then I swiftly got a stiff kick to the balls with the Michigan St game and gradually started losing hope. Wisconsin wasnt the final dagger. It was the final twist of that dagger. I can stand here now and admit I was wrong. I have no problem with that, even though it shouldnt be about being right and wrong. It should be about support for the PROGRAM, not a coach. And what I see from some who are still fighting the good fight with Bo is probably not support for Bo, but rather a strong unwillingness to admit to being wrong after sticking by to the bitter end. And like I said, it shouldnt be about that. It should be about support of the PROGRAM regardless of the coach. I'll probably wanna bitch slap the first person the pulls the "i told you so card" the first time our new coach loses a game.

Then yesterday, the tweets from the players, even thought the emotional state is understandable, the direction of their anger is just very concerning to me. The culture that has been established in that lockeroom is flat out scary to me.

Thoughts?

Am I out of line for having these fears?

• Fire 1

I'd say you're right in line Count. But remember Bo dealt with that some too. There were some players - think back to the Holiday bowl debacle - that were toxic to the program after the Cally transition. The new guy is going to deal with that to an extent.

What I find humorous is all these players bitchin about their "father figure" being canned - yet they want to be employees and payed for their day of work. Can't have it both ways fellas.

But that's not all. What will Tunnel Walk of Shame do? Those comics have been gold, but with an all-new staff, will he continue? Will the magic still be there?

I got to this thread way late but just wanted a quick comment on this part.

For those of you who enjoyed TWOS, if he keeps it up for just one more post after pelini gets hired at the next school, he could have some hilariously fun story/plotlines to play off of and end on that note like some of the great (depending on your opinion) Hollywood TV/movie endings . I.E. Pelini waking up and the whole Nebraska time was a dream sequence, or a who shot J.R.? kinda plot, Wayne's Worlds multiple endings, Breakfast club type plotlines etc, etc...