Choose a Side, Huskerboard

Choose your Side  

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Draw the line in the sand and pick a side.

Hopefully we get some good debate in here.

Mods, feel free to clean this up as you see fit.

This is nonsense. Less than 24 hours after the announcement, you are wanting to bolster a division. (I'm not saying you are creating it, because people obviously have their opinions). Why not just open a discussion and let it be at that, rather than "pick a side". We've been divided for several years now, let's not pick up that burden from day one.

Voted Nay, but will support him. Let me point out some obvious facts that this hire represents (or at least what I think it represents):

1.a. Don't believe this was the first person asked or second.........Eichorst saved face with getting this done before we heard all the No's from Bigger names

b. I think the national media is somewhat right in talking where actually Nebraska football rates these days.

c. November months and recruiting has more weight than most will acknowledge.

2. When the program started losing momentum.

a. Joining the Big 12 and losing the OU rivalry

b. Losing to Texas in the 96' Big 12 Champ game.

c. Tom retiring after 97' season, knowing where the conference was heading and hand picking a coach like Frank

3. Franky

a. Never should have been hired. Should have followed and watched OU ( Gibbs never worked out after Switzer)

b. Nebraska should have hired a name after Tom, not hold back the program because of loyality to the assistant coaches A-Z.

c. Chances are we never go thru the Pederson/Callahan era.

I will reserve judgment totally until Riley coaches a few games if not seasons, but my disappointment is that our program appears to me to be not the household name it was or even close to that. I think we have fired coaches and became an unpleasable fan base with sometimes unrealistic goals. While most on here say they don't expect National Titles, deep down most still miss that relevance on the national scene. So lets not fool our selves into thinking we still don't want what was once a powerhouse program who year in year out was in position to play for national titles. Being relevant is nice, but with the recruiting and the way its done now, cold weather climate states or programs are being nixed for the southern programs whether we like it or not. Now we are settling for coaches, that quite frankly aren't national names and really have no relevance.

Lets call a spade a spade, this hire SUCKS.

I hope he starts in his 60s winning. We all know those 70 somethings that turned there life/careers around in there 60s...

This tells me we dint have the applicants we wanted.

I hope this guy wins. Nothing would make me happier. I will still watch the games I will still go to games. I will still buy Husker Gear.

I think firing Bo is a mistake I think firing Solich was a mistake. However it is done. It is like the Sopranos it is over how it ended sucked but lets move on.

So to your poll it needs improvement. Just the premise the way you worded it could be better.

Are you trying to ask do you think he will win? Do we want him to win? What are you trying to ask? Was it a good hire? (Who knows who sent in an application.)

Well you are horribly wrong twice, so this must mean this is a great hire.

• Fire 1

I really hope Riley can shape the program back into at least a contender for Big 10 titles. I don't know actually what that includes, since I think that means just winning one or two more games than we have been losing. Saying that, we need to schedule tougher non-con games and if we lose one of those and beat the likes of Minnesota and Wisconsin along with the other west Division teams, its worth it.

Playing the Mcneese St's of the world doesn't prepare you for any battles in the Big 10. Lets keep Miami and UCLA and teams of that caliber on the schedule in the non-con.

Lets get some games with OU, and see !!!

In the end, you can be not pleased with this hire, but he's here to stay and does need the support of everyone at the start.

I worry about the type of offense he may want to run, but I think he may adapt to his players

Major concern. All I've heard is that Beck threw too much and that in Lincoln we need a coach that utilizes the power running game, yet we hire a guy that has a history of throwing the ball all over the place and many seem to be ok with it.

I don't get it.

You don't get it because you can't see context.

What you heard is fine. What was actually said was that we need a coach that utilizes his players effectively on offense (which, with our roster of players, meant power running), and then we went and hired a guy who has a history of tailoring his offense to who he has to work with personnel-wise.

Voted Nay, but will support him. Let me point out some obvious facts that this hire represents (or at least what I think it represents):

1.a. Don't believe this was the first person asked or second.........Eichorst saved face with getting this done before we heard all the No's from Bigger names

b. I think the national media is somewhat right in talking where actually Nebraska football rates these days.

c. November months and recruiting has more weight than most will acknowledge.

2. When the program started losing momentum.

a. Joining the Big 12 and losing the OU rivalry

b. Losing to Texas in the 96' Big 12 Champ game.

c. Tom retiring after 97' season, knowing where the conference was heading and hand picking a coach like Frank

3. Franky

a. Never should have been hired. Should have followed and watched OU ( Gibbs never worked out after Switzer)

b. Nebraska should have hired a name after Tom, not hold back the program because of loyality to the assistant coaches A-Z.

c. Chances are we never go thru the Pederson/Callahan era.

I will reserve judgment totally until Riley coaches a few games if not seasons, but my disappointment is that our program appears to me to be not the household name it was or even close to that. I think we have fired coaches and became an unpleasable fan base with sometimes unrealistic goals. While most on here say they don't expect National Titles, deep down most still miss that relevance on the national scene. So lets not fool our selves into thinking we still don't want what was once a powerhouse program who year in year out was in position to play for national titles. Being relevant is nice, but with the recruiting and the way its done now, cold weather climate states or programs are being nixed for the southern programs whether we like it or not. Now we are settling for coaches, that quite frankly aren't national names and really have no relevance.

I totally agree with everything but your last paragraph. You should have had a #4 that stated that Tom tried and failed again with the hire of Bo due to wanting a HC that would keep his old AC's. You are right, if Tom didn't force Frank on us, we would have gotten a better HC and there is a chance that guy may still be here and NU would have had continued success instead of three failed coaches. That has led to NU being irrelevant since Tom's recruits graduated in 2001.

I am hopeful for MR, but I am holding judgement until he fills out his staff.

I worry about the type of offense he may want to run, but I think he may adapt to his players

Major concern. All I've heard is that Beck threw too much and that in Lincoln we need a coach that utilizes the power running game, yet we hire a guy that has a history of throwing the ball all over the place and many seem to be ok with it.

I don't get it.

What you heard is fine. What was actually said was that we need a coach that utilizes his players effectively on offense (which, with our roster of players, meant power running), and then we went and hired a guy who has a history of tailoring his offense to who he has to work with personnel-wise.

Exactly, he is about 50/50 over his career. He ran more when he had the Rogers brothers at RB and has thrown the ball more over the last few years when he had the QB that could do it. People just need to calm down and give this guy a chance. Don't be scared because he runs a WCO. MR and BC have very little in common.

Why do we need to be so divisive?

An unfortunate side effect from the previous two coaches.

That's going to happen when you make a habit of firing winners and hiring?????????

Give it a fricken rest. Are you sure you don't want to follow Bo out the door?

Please show where I've cried over Bo being fired?

Well this was a huge let down and my excitement has fallen. I will come around, but just not tonight.

Ya, he's the coach now and I'll support him. But I am underwhelmed right now. I'd rather have brought in a nice DC and OC(or at-least replace Barney with a qb-coach). It would've bore fruit and been much cheaper than what we did. IMO it would have also probably worked at-least as well as what we did. I was OK with firing Bo to bring in a proven heavy-hitter in Tressel, but this move disappointed me. That said, If we put the right staff together Riley can certainly work. The right staff makes all the difference in the world. I read an Orgeron rumor, he'd be a great start.

I don't get it.

Exactly, he is about 50/50 over his career. He ran more when he had the Rogers brothers at RB and has thrown the ball more over the last few years when he had the QB that could do it. People just need to calm down and give this guy a chance. Don't be scared because he runs a WCO. MR and BC have very little in common.

No one will complain about "throwing it all over the place" if it happens to be working. People are primarily concerned with running an effective offense. "Throwing it all over the place" tends to be a term brought out when the ball does not find your team's receivers' hands. If they are catching the ball its all "Throwing it for school record yards and TDs"

Been reading more about this guy and it seems to me he has a very, very good reputation. So I guess he is not an unknown assistant, or unproven coach in any sense of the phrase. Thats at least an upgrade over whats been here for the last 15 or 16 years.

I really wouldn't expect a total West coast system. West coast O's have many different scenarios to how they work. Some actually rely heavily on the run to disguise some big pass plays. Some use the pass to set up the run. Its all in what your talent pool is made up of.

The ability to run the ball is still how you win in the long run. West Coast O is basically based running the ball to set up the pass in most instances. Its all in what your talent will provide for you to do.

Pro Style offenses do recruit better players. He runs a base of Pro Style offense. This will bring in some really good prospects at WR and QB. If you get those skilled players, you will draw in O-line players. Its all two fold. Now, a DC is a must. A good DC. Offensive coaches are great, but unless you have a slam dunk D, your flirting with Callahan results. Thats what and the only thing that scares me with this hire. Being completely realistic, but every defense in todays game has break downs and allow teams to score points in bunches sometimes. So the day that there shut down D's is kind of over. When you see all the athletes at Alabama on D, and they give up some big plays and scores from time to time, it will happen to others more times than not. Bend but don't break defenses are the way most are approaching the game because once your inside the 20's, teams with better players often allow FG's not TD's. Thats what should be the goal.

I don't get it.

Not true! Most of the time he had a balance attacked, which changed year to year based on talent & deficiencies. Adjusting, something we have not done in NE for years.

Been reading more about this guy and it seems to me he has a very, very good reputation. So I guess he is not an unknown assistant, or unproven coach in any sense of the phrase. Thats at least an upgrade over whats been here for the last 15 or 16 years.

I really wouldn't expect a total West coast system. West coast O's have many different scenarios to how they work. Some actually rely heavily on the run to disguise some big pass plays. Some use the pass to set up the run. Its all in what your talent pool is made up of.

The ability to run the ball is still how you win in the long run. West Coast O is basically based running the ball to set up the pass in most instances. Its all in what your talent will provide for you to do.

Pro Style offenses do recruit better players. He runs a base of Pro Style offense. This will bring in some really good prospects at WR and QB. If you get those skilled players, you will draw in O-line players. Its all two fold. Now, a DC is a must. A good DC. Offensive coaches are great, but unless you have a slam dunk D, your flirting with Callahan results. Thats what and the only thing that scares me with this hire. Being completely realistic, but every defense in todays game has break downs and allow teams to score points in bunches sometimes. So the day that there shut down D's is kind of over. When you see all the athletes at Alabama on D, and they give up some big plays and scores from time to time, it will happen to others more times than not. Bend but don't break defenses are the way most are approaching the game because once your inside the 20's, teams with better players often allow FG's not TD's. Thats what should be the goal.

And hopefully between Riley's reputation in coaching, along with the assistant budget he should be working with, getting a quality assistants should be in the cards.