Shawn Eichorst is my hero

NUance

I don't believe the Bielema hype at all. Riley makes much more sense and is much more consistent with what Eichorst seems to be looking for.

SE is on a ledge with this hire. He has garnered national credit from the media types and received some heat from the locals.

One way or the other, all of SE's chips are on the table in regards to Riley's success. Given that, I have hopes that SE will give Riley EVERYTHING that he wants.

I like Riley and think he can be successful here but he will need some tools that Bo wasn't given.

Bo was given every resource and opportunity to succeed.

Whole story isn't told yet, but I love the bold moves. Iowa hangs on to lackluster, underperforming Ferentz because they can't afford to get rid of him, or something...

Eichorst takes the bull by the horns and owns this change. Not flashy at first, it makes more sense the deeper you look.

Do we believe Perlman that nobody else was offered the job? I really do not know. I have a passing interest in conspiracy theories (JFK, Sandyhook, Roswell, Marisa Tomei winning an Oscar). I wonder if Florida's quick/public process played a role into this hire. SE could have made a few calls (his top 3 prospects) and was laughed off the phone. How many schools in the last 15 fired not one but two 70+% winning coaches? Yes, only one. That can add years onto a coach's life (pressure). Or, live the life of a Utah type coach, make a few millions and expectations are not so grandiose. Had a buddy who saw our ex coach at the movies on Sunday- said the guy looked relieved....

Some folks (reporters) out there believe there was a little smoke to the Coach Beilema story. Maybe, NBC Sports and other outlets are too embarrassed they got taken for a ride and attempting to capture some credibility by writing additional reports after our hire. Who knows.??!!

I don't believe HP at all. It's pretty easy to semantic that away. He could have been asked if he would take the job if offered, said no and that would make the statement true.

Bielema's assistants were saying he had been offered the job. Whether or not that is exactly correct or not, we were talking to him about coming here and didn't offer the job to Riley until Bielema said he wouldn't.

Riley is much nicer to look at than Bo or Bielema. Even though he's 20ish years older than they are. Focus on what's important.

• Fire 1

Whole story isn't told yet, but I love the bold moves. Iowa hangs on to lackluster, underperforming Ferentz because they can't afford to get rid of him, or something...

Eichorst takes the bull by the horns and owns this change. Not flashy at first, it makes more sense the deeper you look.

And Eichorst takes shots at Iowa while doing it. Perfect. :thumbs

After evaluating the resources, facilities, football revenues, (etc.) it appears to me that Mike Riley has been a competitive racer, even though he's been driving an AMC Gremlin. I look forward to seeing what he will do now that he has been given the keys to a Porsche.

Forget the number of wins. I would have been less surprised to wake up one day and learn that Pelini hit with a domestic abuse charge than I was to learn that he was fired after another 9-3 season. He was already a black eye on the State of Nebraska with his sideline behavior, regardless of how his players were conditioned to take it. SE knew it was only a matter of time before he was a black eye to the University. Undisciplined coach = undisciplined team. His post-loss press conferences were a continual embarrassment of blaming the players and rarely taking responsibility for anything.

Welcome, Mike Riley. Bo, don't let the screen door hit you on your way out.

• Fire 1

But there is no way of knowing whether this was choice #1 or #21.

Except for the fact that Harvey already said it was #1 and the regents were kept informed of it through email.

All I've heard about this guy is that he's nice. That's nice. Really nice. I wish him nothing but the best.

I really hope that he is a good coach, which is in question.

If he really was the #1 guy on the list, i think we should feel lucky that TO was here to hire Erstad and Miles. Much like Suh and other former Huskers, I'm really concerned about the future of this athletic department and the university overall.

I don't believe the Bielema hype at all. Riley makes much more sense and is much more consistent with what Eichorst seems to be looking for.

SE is on a ledge with this hire. He has garnered national credit from the media types and received some heat from the locals.

One way or the other, all of SE's chips are on the table in regards to Riley's success. Given that, I have hopes that SE will give Riley EVERYTHING that he wants.

I like Riley and think he can be successful here but he will need some tools that Bo wasn't given.

Bo was given every resource and opportunity to succeed.

Bo deserved to go, don't get me wrong, but from what I understand there were things requested to SE that were not granted. Things I have already mentioned earlier in this thread. With Bo, maybe those things would have been not properly utilized if they were granted.

With the change in place, logic would dictate that SE would give Riley a blank check and Riley, being the inventive and resourceful person that he is, will be the guy to ask for the right things and move in the right directions.

I think our first opportunity to see SE's level of support will be the level of expertise that Riley accumulates in his crew of assistants. If he is given an open checkbook to hire the best, great things await.

Except for the fact that Harvey already said it was #1 and the regents were kept informed of it through email.

All I've heard about this guy is that he's nice. That's nice. Really nice. I wish him nothing but the best.

If he really was the #1 guy on the list, i think we should feel lucky that TO was here to hire Erstad and Miles. Much like Suh and other former Huskers, I'm really concerned about the future of this athletic department and the university overall.

He also hired Bo and baiscally Frank so...

Why don't you not be so pessimistic for once and see what plays out, the guy hasn't even assembled a staff for christ's sake.

Do we believe Perlman that nobody else was offered the job? I really do not know. I have a passing interest in conspiracy theories (JFK, Sandyhook, Roswell, Marisa Tomei winning an Oscar). I wonder if Florida's quick/public process played a role into this hire. SE could have made a few calls (his top 3 prospects) and was laughed off the phone. How many schools in the last 15 fired not one but two 70+% winning coaches? Yes, only one. That can add years onto a coach's life (pressure). Or, live the life of a Utah type coach, make a few millions and expectations are not so grandiose. Had a buddy who saw our ex coach at the movies on Sunday- said the guy looked relieved....

Some folks (reporters) out there believe there was a little smoke to the Coach Beilema story. Maybe, NBC Sports and other outlets are too embarrassed they got taken for a ride and attempting to capture some credibility by writing additional reports after our hire. Who knows.??!!

I don't believe HP at all. It's pretty easy to semantic that away. He could have been asked if he would take the job if offered, said no and that would make the statement true.

Bielema's assistants were saying he had been offered the job. Whether or not that is exactly correct or not, we were talking to him about coming here and didn't offer the job to Riley until Bielema said he wouldn't.

Riley is much nicer to look at than Bo or Bielema. Even though he's 20ish years older than they are. Focus on what's important.

Geez, what's with you and looking at guys.

So you're concerned about the direction of one of the biggest and most profitable athletic departments in the country because of the thought that this is who SE wanted? Taking no regard of the fact that we have yet to play a game with him at coach. My question to you, who was your top three and the main reason why? Don't get me wrong, I was as skeptical as anyone when I first heard, but the man deserves a chance here, and I think that increases even more when you take into account what Riley stands for as a man.

Geez, what's with you and looking at guys.

I was born this way.

• Fire 3

Remember both Perlman & SEs are lawyers. SE might have asked multiple candidates (I doubt you can get through too many in 5 days) but the "offer" letter was only typed up for 1 person. Without it in writing, it's not an offer, it's just a discussion. Perlman is not lying, he's making a statement of legal semantics...

He also hired Bo and baiscally Frank so...

Why don't you not be so pessimistic for once and see what plays out, the guy hasn't even assembled a staff for christ's sake.

Both guys won over 70% of their games.

Frank's replacement didn't. 1 more for TO.

Bo's replacement hasn't so far in his career.

It would be nice if he did.

Bo deserved to go, don't get me wrong, but from what I understand there were things requested to SE that were not granted. Things I have already mentioned earlier in this thread. With Bo, maybe those things would have been not properly utilized if they were granted.

Yeah, we've seen some of those same things said. My understanding of it then (as now) is that they were some pre-emptive excuse making coming essentially out of Bo's camp. Which had a habit of attempting to pin blame on the administration for stuff that was Bo's own doing.

For example, Bo's effort recruiting. It's a bit rich to suggest the administration is what held that back. And Bo, as far as I'm aware (which isn't first hand understanding, to be fair) has always had a blank check to get the assistants he needed. His staff, for the most part, has been his choice, and he's had plenty of opportunity to make changes there as well.

This past season in particular we saw both sides remove any doubt publicly as to how much backing the program was getting under the administration. And that I expect will continue.

"greatest fans in college football" let's act like it.

Does that only apply to new hires and not current coaches? We criticized the hell out of the previous coach, I think the greatest fans can also criticize a new hire.

That's any fans perogative. Greatest, worst, mediocre, average, run of the mill, maverick, uninformed, indifferent, etc.