The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

For a guy who is so well respected around coaching and media circles, he knows NOBODY on the staff?

That struck me as odd, too. You'd think he'd have a pretty full Rolodex by now.

A huge complaint for years is that we have a staff of Nobody's and now we are questioning that he doesn't know any of them?

+1

These are just my raw emotions. Please, don't flame.

I feel like Eichorst just hired a guy that is un-fireable due to his niceness. Like, he's fire-proof.

This feels like an admission that domination on the field is a thing of the past, and the only thing left to cling to is some kind of ethereal spirit of Tom Osborne's "niceness." It was like Riley forced himself to say "...and win championships, too" in the presser.

For the record, Mike - The booster illuminati will eat you alive, one way or the other. <---Those are not MY feelings towards Mike, but is the reality of the situation if he doesn't win conference titles.

I think he is stepping into a pretty difficult situation. We fired a guy who won 9+ games each year and had people on both sides of the issue. The Callahan/Pelini transition went much easier because almost everyone was done with BC. This transition will be a little tougher because there were still strong supporters of Bo....perception.

The hire was nothing anyone thought so of course people are going to be nervous about this hire.

The more I keep reading and hearing about this cat, I am pretty excited. I have to disagree with you that he will be eaten alive by the illuminati. The players will back this dude and he will bring in some solid coaches....I really hope!

Stay the course my man!!!

I dont think there were that many Bo supporters left. Whats going to make this transition difficult is the hire itself. We would all be singing a different tune had we landed a proven winner. We got the exact opposite and now everyone is "hoping" what we did is right. "Hope" is not a strategy (unless you are running for president). By making this hire the pressure cooker just got hotter for the simple fact that this guy is coming into an environment now were people are already skeptical. At the first sign of trouble this thing is going to turn on its head. Had we hired a proven winner that would not be the case.

Again, I hope I am wrong.

But you're making the assertion that Mike Riley isn't a proven winner. Given the significant disadvantages Oregon State faced in the Pac-12--probably the less talented team when compared to all but 2 or 3 teams (Wazzu, Colorado, maybe Utah), 93-80 is pretty solid, and a record I don't believe BP could have achieved. Mike is now the head coach at Nebraska, a team that talent wise, is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference (Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State) but coaching wise probably had one of the worst staffs in the conference.

It is within reason to assume that Mike will come in here and win. He has all the intangibles and now has the resources.

I am making the assertion Mike Riley isnt a proven winner based on his record of past performance. You are making the assertion he is a winner by including a bunch of excuses in order to arrive at the hope he will do well. All I'm saying is we are at a point in this programs history where taking an unkown was not a wise decision.

I hope I'm wrong.

Gary Anderson is coaching the Wisconsin Badgers Football Team in his second season.

He was second in the Leaders Division last season.

He's playing for a conference championship his second season.

If we're talking about past performance......by your argument, he should be exempt from that job, right?

4-7

4-8

4-8

7-6

11-2

That was his coaching record before coming to Madison. Even with his two seasons as Bucky's head guy, he's still only won a little more than half his games coached.

Give the guy a chance. If he gets the right staff in place, he'll do just fine.

We will see where he lands in a couple years. Each programs scenerio is different. Wisconsin's program has been on the uptick for years. They could afford to take an unkown and get away with it, if it doesnt work out.......I am not comfortable saying the same about NU.

Great points. One situation and fit does not equal the other.

For all the Bolievers, your ship has sailed. Silence your dissent and get ready to cheer on this new football team and coach.

Keep gulping the koolaid, my man. I'll watch with open eyes and an open mind.

What koolaid? He's only been the coach since Wednesday.

Just asking that you not tell us how to feel and act considering that the new guy hasn't proven anything here yet. If anyone buys in 100%, good on em, but I'll wait and see what happens.
  • Fire 1

I wasn't in favor of firing Pelini - still not sure about it. I dislike giving up a sure thing for the greener side of the hill. I wish Bo the best, and frankly think he'll do just fine. He's a good coach.

I also think we'll be fine with Mike Riley. Is he the guy to end our championship drought? I'm dubious - but I am pretty confident that he won't drive us into the ditch. He kept a historically horrendous (seriously OSU pre-Riley = KSU pre-Snyder, this can't be repeated enough) more or less above water for a decade and a half. That's a damned good coaching job, and I'd be stunned if he's a disaster at Nebraska, where there are 5-6 wins built into the schedule pretty much no matter what. Hopefully his overachievement at Oregon State transfers to Lincoln and turns 8-9 win regular seasons into 10-11 win ones.

I see Riley's doubled his Twitter followers overnight. Welcome to the madhouse coach. Good luck.

• Fire 1

Thoughts:

Please don't keep staff just to keep staff...(Cotton...NOOOO!!!! maybe we need to just get pasted in the bowl game to be sure)

Said it in another thread...we'll see if he can make the transition from Giant-killer to Giant.

I really hope the guy finds the right staff that will kick these players ass if they're not working hard...accountability please.

The original quote is what torques me a bit with some Husker fans. The issue with Bo wasn't the final record. It was how poorly we looked at times against what many of us would agree were, or should've been, over-matched opponents. Then those poor habits/development manifested itself in upsets, and blowout losses. Bo's record is what it was. However, if I were to scrutinize, I'd state that his 9/10 - 3/4 records were closer to being 7/8 win seasons (snatching victory from the jaws of defeat) than they were 11/12 win seasons. If Riley can put out a 8-4/9-3 regular season without the consistent "beating of ourselves" and blowouts, then I'd consider Riley, at worst, as putting out a similar season than Bo, but without the Bo drama.

Excellent, exactly how I feel.

+1