Is HuskerNation divided more than ever

Husker Q

It seems that an even greater rift is occurring in Huskerland. There was a Bo-leaver vs Bo-liever split but this hire seems to have made the division even wider. There appear to be 3 general groups:

1. Kool-aid/eternal optimist group. They believe that this is a good hire and the future is bright. Their main argument is that he did not have the resources at OSU that he will at NU. Or they just hated Bo and MR is a "nice guy".

2. "Wait and See" (probably the biggest group). They want Dear Old Nebraska U to succeed. Maybe don't know a lot about MR, uncertain but hoping for the best.

3. Downgrade hire. I fall into this group. The reason we are unhappy is because we care about Nebraska and feel this hire sets us back 5 years (1-3 until he's gone, another 1-3 to turn it back around) just to get back to where we are now. I am highly confident that this will be the case. I therefore have very little hope for the next few years. That is depressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But I said the same thing the day BC was hired and it was an extremely long and painful 4 years.

Whichever group you fall, this could be considered a bad hire simply b/c of the division created. SE could have united HuskerNation with a different hire:
1. A proven successful coach, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, even Jerry Kill, Lance Leipold. Everyone would see a history of success and have hopes for the program. Riley obviously does not have a history of success.

2. A Nebraska tie. Turner Gill or Scott Frost. Each would have questions; Gill success at Buffalo and Liberty but not at Kansas, Frost inexperience. But both hires would have the full fan base behind them, some would be unsure but all would be excited to see the future. Riley has no connection to NE.

3. Nebraska "style". Paul Johnson, Troy Calhoun, Jerry Kill would have a lot of Husker fans remembering the dominant option/power running years. Riley's west coast offense will not peak interest a significant group of Huskers.

I think Riley already has a big group with serious doubts and will quickly lose the fan base with a loss to an inferior team. The other hires would have more backing and longer leashes. He must have immediate success to get everyone to believe in him. We have a lot of talent returning so should not take a step back. A new coach/system would be another excuse. Good coaches know how to best use their talent.

Reasons I'm not optimistic:
Mike Riley had 14 years at OSU to change the program. He brought a bad team to a mediocre team but not above that. Making excuses for having a bad team is very disappointing. Good coaches will find a way to win and improve the program, WITHOUT EXCUSES. There are many cases of good coaches lifting bad programs to good programs (KSU, Mizzou, TCU, Miami, FSU, Baylor, Boise State, etc...). MR never improved the program to above mediocre, never increased the interest, the coaching, the recruiting. He has never even won his division. Heck, Dennis Erickson coached Riley's players to more success than MR.

MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Good coaches simply do not do that. The Chargers do not have less resources than all other NFL teams. He just has a long history of non-success.

Why would anyone have confidence in SE to know football coaching? He has never hired a football coach. He never coached football. He didn't play in the NFL. Where is all of this football knowledge you speak of? He played at UW-Whitewater so he must know everything? All he has done in regards to football coaches is extend the contract of Al Golden, who went 6-6 this year with the Miami Hurricanes. And many Miami fans would like to see gone but it's more difficult b/c of his contract that SI extended. SE is a lawyer with no previous ties or cares for Nebraska. I repeat, he is a lawyer.

• Fire 3

Another thread about this?

This isn't a bad thread. The other threads; somewhat similar beat around the bush. this is a lot more direct, and deserves some discussion.

I personally think that Huskers fans are more united after this hire. Pelini was very divisive, I think most huskers fans aren't 100% thrilled with the hire, I think most of us think it is a very solid hire. I like most huskers are waiting to see the entire staff before making final judgement. I don't think anyone is happy about the DC hire. If the rest of the staff is really good I'll give the DC the benefit of the doubt.

Hi, how are you, thanks for posting yet one more thread about how our new coach is terrible...

MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Good coaches simply do not do that. The Chargers do not have less resources than all other NFL teams

Many college level coaches struggle with the NFL. Spurrier comes to mind, as well as some dude they call Nick, you may of heard of him. Anyway basing your hate of a coach that in your own words took "(a) bad team to a mediocre team" but really sucked in the NFL is just silly. They have separate levels of play for a reason and good NFL does not mean good in College or the other way around, OK? Alright then... Again thanks for posting, and any time you feel the need to start a topic on the next thought that pops into your head, feel free! Even though it may of been covered in other threads, possibly several times there is no need for you to go unheard, for you are very special and your voice must be heard above all others. Have a great day!

I think there's a lot of people who didn't think TRESSELMANIA was just for funsies (or maybe I'm weird one for thinking it was?). A lot of this will dissipate as we get into spring ball, then by fall camp most of us will be into the "bring it on" camp. Not knowing exactly what to expect is a reason for excitement in itself.

I don't really like putting people into "camps", though, as I think it's just a lazy way to dismiss what people have to say.

• Fire 2

It seems that an even greater rift is occurring in Huskerland. There was a Bo-leaver vs Bo-liever split but this hire seems to have made the division even wider. There appear to be 3 general groups:

1. Kool-aid/eternal optimist group. They believe that this is a good hire and the future is bright. Their main argument is that he did not have the resources at OSU that he will at NU. Or they just hated Bo and MR is a "nice guy".

2. "Wait and See" (probably the biggest group). They want Dear Old Nebraska U to succeed. Maybe don't know a lot about MR, uncertain but hoping for the best.

3. Downgrade hire. I fall into this group. The reason we are unhappy is because we care about Nebraska and feel this hire sets us back 5 years (1-3 until he's gone, another 1-3 to turn it back around) just to get back to where we are now. I am highly confident that this will be the case. I therefore have very little hope for the next few years. That is depressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong. But I said the same thing the day BC was hired and it was an extremely long and painful 4 years.

Whichever group you fall, this could be considered a bad hire simply b/c of the division created. SE could have united HuskerNation with a different hire:

1. A proven successful coach, Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, even Jerry Kill, Lance Leipold. Everyone would see a history of success and have hopes for the program. Riley obviously does not have a history of success.

2. A Nebraska tie. Turner Gill or Scott Frost. Each would have questions; Gill success at Buffalo and Liberty but not at Kansas, Frost inexperience. But both hires would have the full fan base behind them, some would be unsure but all would be excited to see the future. Riley has no connection to NE.

3. Nebraska "style". Paul Johnson, Troy Calhoun, Jerry Kill would have a lot of Husker fans remembering the dominant option/power running years. Riley's west coast offense will not peak interest a significant group of Huskers.

I think Riley already has a big group with serious doubts and will quickly lose the fan base with a loss to an inferior team. The other hires would have more backing and longer leashes. He must have immediate success to get everyone to believe in him. We have a lot of talent returning so should not take a step back. A new coach/system would be another excuse. Good coaches know how to best use their talent.

Mike Riley had 14 years at OSU to change the program. He brought a bad team to a mediocre team but not above that. Making excuses for having a bad team is very disappointing. Good coaches will find a way to win and improve the program, WITHOUT EXCUSES. There are many cases of good coaches lifting bad programs to good programs (KSU, Mizzou, TCU, Miami, FSU, Baylor, Boise State, etc...). MR never improved the program to above mediocre, never increased the interest, the coaching, the recruiting. He has never even won his division. Heck, Dennis Erickson coached Riley's players to more success than MR.

MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Good coaches simply do not do that. The Chargers do not have less resources than all other NFL teams. He just has a long history of non-success.

Why would anyone have confidence in SE to know football coaching? He has never hired a football coach. He never coached football. He didn't play in the NFL. Where is all of this football knowledge you speak of? He played at UW-Whitewater so he must know everything? All he has done in regards to football coaches is extend the contract of Al Golden, who went 6-6 this year with the Miami Hurricanes. And many Miami fans would like to see gone but it's more difficult b/c of his contract that SI extended. SE is a lawyer with no previous ties or cares for Nebraska. I repeat, he is a lawyer.

Are you wanting discussion or just telling us why you don't like Mike Riley?

Hi, how are you, thanks for posting yet one more thread about how our new coach is terrible...

MR coached the San Diego Charger to their WORST RECORD IN FRANCHISE HISTORY! Good coaches simply do not do that. The Chargers do not have less resources than all other NFL teams

Many college level coaches struggle with the NFL. Spurrier comes to mind, as well as some dude they call Nick, you may of heard of him. Anyway basing your hate of a coach that in your own words took "(a) bad team to a mediocre team" but really sucked in the NFL is just silly. They have separate levels of play for a reason and good NFL does not mean good in College or the other way around, OK? Alright then... Again thanks for posting, and any time you feel the need to start a topic on the next thought that pops into your head, feel free! Even though it may of been covered in other threads, possibly several times there is no need for you to go unheard, for you are very special and your voice must be heard above all others. Have a great day!

This^^^^^^ You can add Pete Carroll pre USC to that list.

Anybody know what Belichicks record was before New England hired him.

1. I like the numbering system you used in your post.

2. It makes your post seem well organized, lending credibility to your arguments and points.

3. I may adopt this method for myself.

4. Or maybe not.

• Fire 4

Good grief. You just don't get it, and likely never will.

We are positive in the same way you were 100% sure that Bo was never going to win anything at nebraska Hedley. For the last two years the Bo haters have been on here bashing every loss, coach and playcall. Now it's our turn to question everything your coach does. Sounds like he is already off to a good start with the hiring of Banker and Read. It's not a good sign when the Oregon state play by play guy says they suck.

• Fire 2

Fact is, you can list all these different "camps" everyone might be in but really there's only one camp.

The wait and see camp. You're all in it. There's nothing you can do to change that.

I think this is the vast majority of Husker fans. I'm not seeing a huge divide anymore. I'm seeing people underwhelmed by the Riley hire, but mostly people are waiting to see what we actually have in this guy before making their decision.