Let the Staff Fail You on the Field (or, Give the Guys a Chance)

Branno

I think I'm having a harder time with people concerned about the assistants.

Basically, we are hearing from many around college football that Riley is a pretty decent coach. We also heard that some of the key contributors to his struggles has been the lack of funding and the location of the school. I haven't seen anywhere that he doesn't know how to pick assistants or his assistants generally suck. It's like "Riley is alright, but that dude that has been with him for 10 years really blows".

I for one am glad that he is picking his assistants and there isn't a pressure to pick this Nebraska guy or that PR hire.

• Fire 2

Dropping the ban hammer is pretty extreme. Their dissent will be more useful and interesting in conversations next season; people are still venting and preparing their "I told you so" portfolios just in case things do go absolutely miserably in the coming 12 months. However, they are also giving the Rilievers (sorry! I'll never type that again!) ample quotes to throw back at them in case things work out. You know, like, "Everything you say can and will be held against you..." :)

This is why we have message boards.

Well if media outlets would stop throwing out names like Tressel, Orgeron and Steele then fans wouldn't get there hopes up. This is what they want they're throwing out big names they know will never come here to get fans hopes up and then capitalizing of them flipping out over hires from OSU assistants so they can then write about that

What is with all of this "Give the new guys a chance!"?

Riley and staff are being given that chance, and no one on this board gave it to them or can take it away from them.

I believe there is nothing more to say about it until the end of the first game next season, because that is "their chance". I can't add to it or subtract from it.

If you mean we should all do GroupThink or GroupSpeak, that's not happening.

• Fire 2

I think I'm having a harder time with people concerned about the assistants.

Basically, we are hearing from many around college football that Riley is a pretty decent coach. We also heard that some of the key contributors to his struggles has been the lack of funding and the location of the school. I haven't seen anywhere that he doesn't know how to pick assistants or his assistants generally suck. It's like "Riley is alright, but that dude that has been with him for 10 years really blows".

I for one am glad that he is picking his assistants and there isn't a pressure to pick this Nebraska guy or that PR hire.

I have to agree with this. Riley's best chance for success are with the guys he knows and hired. He will be better equipped to be able to hit the ground running with his guys.

What is with all of this "Give the new guys a chance!"?

Riley and staff are being given that chance, and no one on this board gave it to them or can take it away from them.

I believe there is nothing more to say about it until the end of the first game next season, because that is "their chance". I can't add to it or subtract from it.

If you mean we should all do GroupThink or GroupSpeak, that's not happening.

Cool, see ya next August!

:D

I have to agree with this. Riley's best chance for success are with the guys he knows and hired. He will be better equipped to be able to hit the ground running with his guys.

If it turns into a Bill Snyder type of situation then I agree with you 100%. There's not many of those guys out there though, I'm not sure Riley is quite at that level so I'm leaning towards us needing to recruit more than 3* guys - which is why, though really high on the hire, I'm a little disappointed with the assistants thus far - just from a recruiting standpoint. Seems like we've missed some opportunities to really be able to upgrade our talent. Time will tell whether that is a true statement or not.

Great op-ed from Corn Nation

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/12/9/7360351/nebraska-football-mike-riley-staff-napkins-are-for-doodling

Mike Riley is not Bo Pelini. Mike Riley has forty plus years of coaching experience, including almost two decades of head coaching experience. He has deep connections in college football and he knows more than just the twenty five guys that 247Sports rates as great recruiters (no indication on their coaching ability). He knows what to look for in a staff. At his press conference, he stressed that he would hire coaches who are experts at their position and capable of teaching that knowledge. Development will be the core of this program and a key to its success going forward.

Now, I liked Bo. I don't think there is any doubt about that. And I have made it pretty clear I'm skeptical about the hire, but let's not go crazy. If he's going to fail, let him do it on the field. But give the guy a god damned chance. We might not be super excited about the assistant hires, or his hire in general. But I have a feeling this guy knows what he can do with this staff. That should be worth something.

+1. I knew I liked you it just took a few days to figure it out.

Cool, see ya next August!

..and where do you plan on doing that? Because I don't think we're going to be anywhere together next August...just so you aren't making plans, or get another offer, I mean. I'm not a sociable type fan.

I'm not commenting on Riley or Pelini or "coulda, woulda, shoulda" because the course is set. What I will comment on is that I find it odd (and a little puzzling) so many grown men are concerned that others might not agree with their opinion, or have different thoughts or takes. It's like a bunch of girls getting together trying on prom dresses, everybody everybody else to see if the other girls made a face or rolled their eyes, or didn't sound enthusiastic when someone came out of the dressing room...

...that, and that more people cannot master anything but the "MultiQuote" button.

• Fire 1