Bo has a new job

Just three weeks ago all I could read was:

Bo Pelini is just one of five coaches in history to win 9 or more games...yada......yada.....yada......

Now, he's the HC at Youngstown St.

There's a serious disconnect between all the preaching about what a legend Bo was and the reality of the situation.

Reality is if this coach was truly a top coach and praised by all for his achievements, then there's no chance he steps down to Youngstown St. Another Division 1 school would have swept him up in a heartbeat as either HC or DC (being a defensive guru and all).

I know, live and let live, but this seems unprecedented to me and really makes it look like some folks were talking out of their ass.

I can leave it at that.

• Fire 6

Bo Pelini is just one of five coaches in history to win 9 or more games...yada......yada.....yada......

There's a serious disconnect between all the preaching about what a legend Bo was and the reality of the situation.

Reality is if this coach was truly a top coach and praised by all for his achievements, then there's no chance he steps down to Youngstown St. Another Division 1 school would have swept him up in a heartbeat as either HC or DC (being a defensive guru and all).

I know, live and let live, but this seems unprecedented to me and really makes it look like some folks were talking out of their ass.

I can leave it at that.

i completely agree, true. but i think the counterargument would be that maybe he just wanted less pressure, yada, yada, yada.

but if that is true, it is more proof that he did not belong as the head coach of donu. and if he does not take paps as his dc, that is a little insulting. imo.

Didn't someone show a list of Nebraska's worst defeats. Does not Bo own like 7 of them. More than Clownahan. Close wins over power houses like SDSU, Wyoming, McNeese State.

And yet we read he is a great coach, he knows defense and on and on.

He could not get a DC job at another program comparable to Nebraska.

He did more damage to the image of Nebraska than Callahan and Solich.

He is gone, no one wanted him at this level for any reason.

Flush this turd of a thread, we have a new head coach.

Good luck to Bo. Now please BEAT NDSU! I am tired of this North Dakota Dynasty crap!

Oh man, they're fun to watch, though. They're gonna hang 70 on the Bofense.

there really is a lot of good football being played at the fcs level. just watched ndsu v. ccu. it was a really good game. i am excited for mike riley to be here, but i still think moglia would have been great and a great story.

I can leave it at that.

i completely agree, true. but i think the counterargument would be that maybe he just wanted less pressure, yada, yada, yada.

but if that is true, it is more proof that he did not belong as the head coach of donu. and if he does not take paps as his dc, that is a little insulting. imo.

Seems like only yesterday the narrative was if NU canned Bo after a 9-win season he'd have his pick of D1 jobs, and NU would have to settle for their 8th choice.

Good luck to Bo. Now please BEAT NDSU! I am tired of this North Dakota Dynasty crap!

Oh man, they're fun to watch, though. They're gonna hang 70 on the Bofense.

there really is a lot of good football being played at the fcs level. just watched ndsu v. ccu. it was a really good game. i am excited for mike riley to be here, but i still think moglia would have been great and a great story.
It was a great game. NDSU's offense isn't drastically different than what Riley does. At least in the running game.

I can leave it at that.

Seems like only yesterday the narrative was if NU canned Bo after a 9-win season he'd have his pick of D1 jobs, and NU would have to settle for their 8th choice.

and it is not like there were not places for him to go. as hc or dc. i really think a big part of it is that he lost his hunger. but i also do not think he is a great head coach and you have to question his ability to coach a defense anymore.

• Fire 1

I can leave it at that.

This. NAILED IT!

The main thing I take away from everything is we just let go of a potential 10-win coach and the dude can't SNIFF a D1 offer as HC.

That REEKS of overrated. What was that about national perception, Bo?

I don't know what kind of talent Bo will recruit to YSU, but I can definitely see him go back to defensive wizard status in the MVFC. I watch a lot of games in the conference, only special offense Ive seen this year is an Illinois State team stacked with FBS transfers. Can't wait to heckle him in Vermillion next year, first conference game is at USD.

I can leave it at that.

This. NAILED IT!

The main thing I take away from everything is we just let go of a potential 10-win coach and the dude can't SNIFF a D1 offer as HC.

That REEKS of overrated. What was that about national perception, Bo?

The perception of this ass clown is going to be even worse after the audiotape of him burning every bridge in Nebraska in his last meeting with the players before this lunatic left. He can go F*** himself as far as I am concerned.

:rant

I am fine with the decision to "go in another direction." I think it was time. Hopefully, Bo will get the chance to reflect a little and do some things differently. But I don't understand why so many feel the need to kick him on the way out the door. We could have done a lot worse, in my opinion. Bo did a great job of righting the ship and stabilizing the program after BC was axed. While he clearly has areas that need shoring up, that is not in any way unique. But lets face it, there is a reason most coaches don't win 71% of their games. It ain't easy to do that. There is no guarantee that we will be better in the near future. I think we will. I am encouraged. But think on this sports fans. From 1890 to 1940 Nebraska had 3 losing seasons and 3 non-winning seasons. Then from 1941 to 1961 Nebraska had 3 winning seasons. Bo took over a program that had had only 3 winning seasons in 6 years. Thats 7, 10, 5, 8, 9, and 5 wins. One 3 loss season, one 4 loss season. Bo had 9, 10, 10 ,9, 10, 9, 9. In the seven years before Bo, 1 outright division title and 1 tie. Bo doubled that. Yes there were bad losses. Yes there was a lack of progress, but look at Iowa. Look at Oklahoma after Switzer and before Stoops. When they hired Schnellenberger everyone that that would be great, not 5-5-1. And Oklahoma'a trials came before all of the rule changes that spread out the talent far and wide. Remember that even the great Bobfather had two 6 win seasons and finished in the bottom half of the league once and tied for 4th once. So wish Bo well. Thank him for stabilizing the program after the Callahan disaster and move on. And if you can't give him some credit than STFU and move on. Stop dedhoarse

And although I don't have the experience on this board to ask the Mods to lock, can we be done with Pelini threads. It is the Mike Riley era at Nebraska. GBR

12/17/14 Belay may last.

Edited by drfish
  • Fire 1

I am fine with the decision to "go in another direction." I think it was time. Hopefully, Bo will get the chance to reflect a little and do some things differently. But I don't understand why so many feel the need to kick him on the way out the door. We could have done a lot worse, in my opinion. Bo did a great job of righting the ship and stabilizing the program after BC was axed. While he clearly has areas that need shoring up, that is not in any way unique. But lets face it, there is a reason most coaches don't win 71% of their games. It ain't easy to do that. There is no guarantee that we will be better in the near future. I think we will. I am encouraged. But think on this sports fans. From 1890 to 1940 Nebraska had 3 losing seasons and 3 non-winning seasons. Then from 1941 to 1961 Nebraska had 3 winning seasons. Bo took over a program that had had only 3 winning seasons in 6 years. Thats 7, 10, 5, 8, 9, and 5 wins. One 3 loss season, one 4 loss season. Bo had 9, 10, 10 ,9, 10, 9, 9. In the seven years before Bo, 1 outright division title and 1 tie. Bo doubled that. Yes there were bad losses. Yes there was a lack of progress, but look at Iowa. Look at Oklahoma after Switzer and before Stoops. When they hired Schnellenberger everyone that that would be great, not 5-5-1. And Oklahoma'a trials came before all of the rule changes that spread out the talent far and wide. Remember that even the great Bobfather had two 6 win seasons and finished in the bottom half of the league once and tied for 4th once. So wish Bo well. Thank him for stabilizing the program after the Callahan disaster and move on. And if you can't give him some credit than STFU and move on. Stop dedhoarse

And although I don't have the experience on this board to ask the Mods to lock, can we be done with Pelini threads. It is the Mike Riley era at Nebraska. GBR

This. Exactly.