Mike Riley defeating #1 USC

r06ue1

Bo versus Mike's Coaching Ability  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I began thinking about this yesterday, how Riley was able to upset so many highly ranked teams with 2 and 3 star recruits at Oregon State. The question that crossed my mind was if given the chance, could Bo Pelini accomplish the same feat (given Nebraska was unranked with 2 and 3 star recruits and we were playing the #1 team in the country at this time, Alabama). I believe that Bo's problem was that he is not a good head coach and cannot game plan for an opponent that is more talented and better coached. The reason Riley was able to pull of those upsets wasn't because he had better players but that he outcoached his opponent and also was able to elevate his players play through his coaching.

That 2008 USC squad finished the season 12-1 and ranked number 2 in coaches, number 3 in AP.

Crossing my fingers that this poll works.

The way I thought about it was different. Riley knows USC and it's a conference foe. So I thought about Bo up against a #1 Ohio State team for a similar situation. Also considered if it was Big 12 and going up against #1 OU or #1 Texas. At the end of day, I don't see it happening.

Yep you give Pelini his 09-10 defense and his 2014 offense youve maybe got a NC team. And for the record I am not a Bo fan. Also remember 98% of the nation according to ESPN thought Michigan was going to beat Callahan and they were wrong.

What?

He's saying that our '09 or '10 defense with the 2014 offense would possibly be a national title contender, and in 2005, 98% of the nation on an espn poll picked Michigan to beat us in the Alamo Bowl, which didnt happen.

1) I fail to see in any way shape or form what the '09 or '10 defense would do for this years offense, esp in games agaisnt teams with a pulse. I'm failing to see what in any way was special about this years offense aside from Ameer and a couple great Wester-catches.

2) I dont know what one close upset win under Callahan has to do with it. But Im basically just asking this question.