OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

not sure why I am surprised at the amount of venom toward Bo...I think he spoke his mind and bitched about SE and the admin, but oh well..it happened and nobody should really be surprised by it. I personally like Bo..I like his passion and loyalty and have no doubt he loves his players. The man can coach.....he has had very, very good defenses here (yes, with NFL talent in the secondary and D line....no wonder we are only average now...outside Gerry in the backend, who else could start or compete for any of the top ranked teams...none would be my guess). I dont think he had the talent to run his scheme (as CEO, that falls on him after 7 years though). I think our S&C program is to blame for lack of talent or explosion just as much as recruitng success (or lack there of). Lots of blame to go around on why the defense didnt work at times..

I think being CEO of Huskers Inc was a bit too much for him, and I cant fault him for cracking under the pressure. I have no issues with him calling SE a c***t and a p***y...for those of you that are "appalled" by the language...get real...you really think a locker room and ball field is the same work environment as your cubicle at your 9-5 job?

Huskers will move on from this and be just fine...MR seems like a good coach and I can only hope has much better success on the field than he has had in the past at OSU. Hopefully he gets along well with SE and they have a clear vision, because I do think everyone needs to be on the same page to get to where they want to go.....although SE gives me the creeps watching him talk...he 100% acts and talks like an attorney...and there are not many I have met that I like

• Fire 1

Yeah, those attorneys, they're just the worst, right?

In any event, no, it is still pretty inexcusable. Trust me, I'm not one to get all blue-hair about one's choice of language. I don't have a problem with a coach cussing with his players. Like I said, I've defended Pelini in the past over some of his rants.

But here...it just reeks of being pathetic. It is one thing to use those words, it's another to use them to describe a man those players will still be dealing with. There's no need, for the players' sakes, to build that sort of enmity.

I'm not really that disappointed in what was said. He has always been straight forward in his assessments and his players have always said that he was bluntly honest with them. This hasn't changed that view. People are upset he didn't have a glowing outlook on the University that just fired him? People are shocked and angry that he was honest and told his players they need to make decisions for themselves on what is best for them, whether it be to stay or leave? He also said play your hearts out in the bowl. He also said give the new coach a chance because it's a tough situation. I actually enjoyed reading it. It pulled back the curtain somewhat. Oooh, he called the guy who fired him a p****. Bet 20 year old college kids have never heard that language before. Oh no, now these kids won't respect the administration because Bo called them names. How will they ever play hard again...? There is no connection.

• Fire 2

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

lol at this
Can't engage in any real discussion ... Why you afraid?

Because there's nothing to discuss. Bo's statements are inexcusable. In the business world, what he did is absolutely unacceptable.

And I supported Bo for a long time.

I see no reason to believe Bo over Eichorst. No coach goes out like that. It's classless. It's shameful.

Bo always tells the players like it is. He owed his players an explaination and gave it to them. He's not there to say what you thought. He there to tell the players what he thinks. I don't want him to lie or fill them with BS. They are grown men and can make up their own minds.

On believing Bo over SE, I have never seen anything that makes me doubt Bo's integrity. I, with very limited exposure to SE, have ever reason to doubt SE. A significant amount of what he said in the press conference has turned out to be false, and the statement released by the athletic department makes it worse. It's just filled with lawyer talk that says nothing real, and is written in a childish manner. Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bullcrap. He could have voiced his opinions in a much better way than just throwing personal insults at a man. He didn't have to lie to be a decent person. He could have said, "I think it was a terrible decision. I really question the reasoning behind it." You call that "lawyer talk", I call it being a professional.

And, I like that you say you don't doubt his integrity, then note that Bo's comments were in private. It's what we do when we don't think anyone is watching that defines our character.

I will acknowledge you made good points, but still disagree. He's telling them what happened in his own way. Everyone is different, and I prefer his cander to "coach speak" especially on something as emotional as this. Some don't. He also had good things to say, but few are focusing on that.

He, in my estimation, views taking care of the players as his number one job, and I think he always speaks that way. It will rub some people wrong as they want NU to be number one, and want him to be gracious despite how SE acted.

SE sounds like a weasel. I mean he brought security guards when he met the team.

On on the character point. I think it does show his character - that he cares about his players, wants then to do what's best for them, and will always be there for him. Just because he used some curse words and bashed the boss who just fired him should change that.

Most disappointing part about this is that most of the reason I supported him was that I thought he was genuinely a nice guy with a temper... Said some pretty unforgiving things.

Agreed. I want to think he's a good dude generally, I mean, we've seen good aspects of him, but, man...

No we haven't. We've seen a selfish narcissist a-hole willing to use anyone, including a sick kid to further his image.

Thank you. Yes. Since the "us vs. everyone else; we can only trust Bo" attitude became totally obvious, he's seemed a lot more like a cult leader mashed up with a bully than a functioning adult. A lot of the time, bullies think they're retaliating for wrongs that they've only imagined, and emotionally isolating followers is totally what charismatic cult leaders do. They engender a climate of paranoia to make the members cling to them as the only person who can be trusted. It's completely toxic. Before reading this, I kept this thought to myself, mostly, because I thought it was an unfair comparison and probably over-blown. I don't think that now. This is totally nuts.

Confirms he had no business being in charge of a major D1 football program to begin with.

Some people just aren't cut out for high pressure jobs (and at the end of the day, fellas, he's just coaching football ffs).

He still has a lot of growing up to do, but at 47 I'm afraid he's pretty much stuck in his ways.

Couldn't be happier we've moved on. Those players deserve a real leader.

I'm not really that disappointed in what was said. He has always been straight forward in his assessments and his players have always said that he was bluntly honest with them. This hasn't changed that view. People are upset he didn't have a glowing outlook on the University that just fired him? People are shocked and angry that he was honest and told his players they need to make decisions for themselves on what is best for them, whether it be to stay or leave? He also said play your hearts out in the bowl. He also said give the new coach a chance because it's a tough situation. I actually enjoyed reading it. It pulled back the curtain somewhat. Oooh, he called the guy who fired him a p****. Bet 20 year old college kids have never heard that language before. Oh no, now these kids won't respect the administration because Bo called them names. How will they ever play hard again...? There is no connection.

This guy is supposed to be a role model and he acted like an immature child. I don't care if these college kids have heard this language before, the language Bo used to talk about his former employer is inexcusable. Absolutely zero class from him. However I wasn't disappointed either, because I come to expect this from Bo. I would be absolutely shocked if he's ever given a Division 1 head coaching job again.

Most disappointing part about this is that most of the reason I supported him was that I thought he was genuinely a nice guy with a temper... Said some pretty unforgiving things.

Agreed. I want to think he's a good dude generally, I mean, we've seen good aspects of him, but, man...

No we haven't. We've seen a selfish narcissist a-hole willing to use anyone, including a sick kid to further his image.

Thank you. Yes. Since the "us vs. everyone else; we can only trust Bo" attitude became totally obvious, he's seemed a lot more like a cult leader mashed up with a bully than a functioning adult. A lot of the time, bullies think they're retaliating for wrongs that they've only imagined, and emotionally isolating followers is totally what charismatic cult leaders do. They engender a climate of paranoia to make the members cling to them as the only person who can be trusted. It's completely toxic. Before reading this, I kept this thought to myself, mostly, because I thought it was an unfair comparison and probably over-blown. I don't think that now. This is totally nuts.

It's one thing to say that he has a real problem with anger, tilts at windmills, and creates a very toxic culture of "us v. them." I certainly will not disagree there.

But I am very, very uncomfortable with assuming the man would use a kid with cancer to further his image. Same with people suggesting he acts out against his family. Unless someone can show something seriously suggesting that was the case, I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt, because, at that point we're going beyond just saying he has some issues and saying that he's basically evil. I don't think it necessary to go that far.

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.

The whole vague approach that SE had in his press conference about more than the field supports Bo's rant, but I agree I wish he would have just focused on the players.. A simple F those guys I'm concerned about you and the coaching staff I asked to work with me would have been enough.. It's hard to fault him for being passionate.. Contrary to popular belief on this board he wants to Win at everything he does.. Getting fired doesn't help when you've tried..

And all of you would crumble in one week under the pressure he had, but as we all know you guys all run multi million dollar companies with 120 lives in your hands everyday, so it's cool I get it.

So what? What does that have to do with what he did, what he got paid to do, and what he could have resigned from at any time? I hope you have never criticized food, music, movies, doctors, etc. or anything that you yourself do not do. This argument is nonsense.

Question: What has been the reaction of the current Nebraska players to the contents of this tape? I've read through the 8 pages of opinions-very interesting, but didn't see anyone share what the player reaction was. (Except for someone called 'BlackshirtsJ' on the B1G website's article on the release of the tape- but wasn't sure if that was legit.)