Les Miles happy

tmfr15

What would qualify as a "wow" hire? Patterson? Mullen? Richt? Frost? Bielema? Narduzzi?

Did Florida get a "wow" hire in McElwain? What about USC with Sark last year?

Many here wanted McElwain so I'd say he was higher on our collective list. Sark was a bigger name available.

Pretty sure most here would have preferred Narduzzi so yes to him. Frost definitely but SE wasn't interested. We should have at least checked with Patterson.

So hiring CSU's coach or MSU's DC would have been a wow because they were mentioned on HB?

Did Sark ever win more than 8 games at UW?

But some of us are wrong for feeling apathetic about the newly frocked HC who's best is 10 wins and a victory in the Sun Bowl???

This is going to be a very fun and interesting off-season! :corndance

it's not going to get really interesting until after the Spring Game...

Do people actually think that NU had a chance to get Harbaugh?

And if the 9ers win a couple more games this year (they lost to the Bears and Raiders!) they are in the playoffs and Harbaugh isn't in Ann Arbor.

Not one chance in a million. He's been on his way to Mich. since the start of the season. When the team owner and GM want you gone just pack up and go. If he does well at UM he will be there for a long time. Just how good are NFL jobs as opposed to college jobs. College can be long term, NFL jobs are a revolving door. College jobs have an actual off season, NFL, you get a couple weeks and then its back to the grind and for 6months out of the year you spend a lot of nights on that couch in your office. College, you deal with young men eager to prove themselves, NFL, you have to deal with prima donna's who can occasionally cost you your job, ie. RGIII. Give me a college job any day of the week.

T_O_B

And if the 9ers win a couple more games this year (they lost to the Bears and Raiders!) they are in the playoffs and Harbaugh isn't in Ann Arbor.

It's not that we had a chance, many wanted the new HC hiring to be a "WOW", not a "meh"...

This. A hire that had people talking about the bold move or move towards getting NU back. Not a quick check of Wikipedia, not hearing how nice he is etc....

When Callahan was hired, I was livid, because I knew, after seeing what he'd done to my Raiders, he'd hurt the program. Bo was hired, almost everyone was excited because he'd been here before, and he wasn't Clownahan. Now they hire Riley, who most of us, when he was hired almost immediately said, "who?"...

This almost seems like a hire that was based on the fact that they didn't know who else they could get, so they got Riley. And if this guy falls flat on his ass, which I hope he doesn't, everyone can say "at least he was nicer than Bo"...

That's what I wonder. How did Reilly even get on the radar. Was it another, sh!t, we fired a guy and my short list all said no?

ADSE had him on a list from 2005 when he was at South Carolina and they were looking for a coach.

• Fire 1

What would qualify as a "wow" hire? Patterson? Mullen? Richt? Frost? Bielema? Narduzzi?

Many here wanted McElwain so I'd say he was higher on our collective list. Sark was a bigger name available.

Pretty sure most here would have preferred Narduzzi so yes to him. Frost definitely but SE wasn't interested. We should have at least checked with Patterson.

So hiring CSU's coach or MSU's DC would have been a wow because they were mentioned on HB?

I think most would have considered Narduzzi a wow hire. Pretty much the biggest-name coordinator. He went to Pitt so surely he would have come here if we offered. McElwain isn't really a wow but was high on a lot of people's lists.

Sark was 5-7 his first year followed by three 7-6 years and was 9-4 his last year. But, you know, he didn't have as many resources there.

I just don't understand the whole "wow" hire thing. I want the "right" hire, not the "wow" hire. Is Riley that guy? I don't know, but time will tell.

I understand it, but I don't agree with it as the source of all reasoning either. We can look at Mike Dantonio for example. He had one HC job before MSU. He was 18-17 at Cincinnati. :dumdum But he is the right fit at MSU and has done a really good job there. All it takes is one guy to be the right fit.

And I think Riley is the right man and the right fit for Nebraska.

It's not that we had a chance, many wanted the new HC hiring to be a "WOW", not a "meh"...

It's only a meh for the butthurt.

It's only a meh for the butthurt.

Butthurt and apathy, two very different things...

But I see you're trying to make this a "thing"...

Urban Meyer grew up in Ohio, Harbaugh went to UM, Chryst went to WI, James Franklin of PSU is from PA born and raised, and Fitzgerald had no HC experience but played at Northwestern. I mentioned Dantonio having little HC experience with barely a winning record before going to MSU. This is our conference and what matters. Other than Dantonio, those other guys had previous affiliation with sentimental reasons to go coach at those schools. The school doesn't necessarily deserve to be credited for making splash hires. And the reason for me looking strictly at our league? You win it, you have a strong chance to make the playoff. Plus a conference championship Trophy. UM & OSU & PSU can battle it out on their side for one spot in the B1G CG. While our Huskers have to battle UW & NW & Minny for the other spot. We've been close before with some talented teams. It is apparent that you can get 9-10 wins with a dysfunctional coaching staff running the show. You don't need a big name splash hire coach to get the unfinished job done.

/rant

If you were apathetic, you wouldn't be here.

either the school systems suck where you are or the hydroponic is f'ing awesome because you flat out don't make sense sometimes...

and the fact you wasted your time tracking down a missing persons video...

It's not 1984 and you're not watching Night Flight guy...

Jim Harbaugh went to Michigan. Urban Meyer went to Ohio State. In my opinion, the alma mater card was the tipping point for both of these guys. Money certainly must be right, but I don't think Harbaugh would've gone just anywhere, and same for Meyer. If any of you can name a hot name proven head coach that just happens to be a Nebraska alum, let me know, and I'll join you in crucifying the administration for being cheap.

+100

we could have spent twice as much and probably wouldn't have gottn either of them....

This. A hire that had people talking about the bold move or move towards getting NU back. Not a quick check of Wikipedia, not hearing how nice he is etc....

When Callahan was hired, I was livid, because I knew, after seeing what he'd done to my Raiders, he'd hurt the program. Bo was hired, almost everyone was excited because he'd been here before, and he wasn't Clownahan. Now they hire Riley, who most of us, when he was hired almost immediately said, "who?"...

This almost seems like a hire that was based on the fact that they didn't know who else they could get, so they got Riley. And if this guy falls flat on his ass, which I hope he doesn't, everyone can say "at least he was nicer than Bo"...

That's what I wonder. How did Reilly even get on the radar. Was it another, sh!t, we fired a guy and my short list all said no?

ADSE had him on a list from 2005 when he was at South Carolina and they were looking for a coach.

Where do people get this crap that "everyone turned us down so we ended up with Riley"? He was SE's #1 target. Do you think SE could have named a coach in 4 days if he was being turned down left and right?

By Monday morning, Dec. 1, Eichorst said he "was fixed" on Riley, whom Eichorst noticed in 2004 as an associate athletic director at South Carolina while the school searched to replace the retiring Lou Holtz. Steve Spurrier got the job, but Eichorst never forgot the Oregon State coach.

"Trusted sources" and electronic research helped confirm Eichorst's beliefs about Riley. Eichorst did not check with an intermediary. He did not ask permission of Riley's athletic director at Oregon State.

"I recruited my tail off like I've never done before," he said.

Eichorst made the phone call at noon Monday. Their conversation lasted about 30 minutes. Riley showed interest and said he was recruiting in San Francisco.

Minutes after the call ended, Eichorst phoned Perlman, still in the Bay Area but set to fly to Denver in a few hours and stay over before a return to Lincoln on Tuesday to celebrate his wife's birthday.

Eichorst asked Perlman to remain out West.

"I knew what direction Shawn was taking," Perlman said.

Eichorst, after the call to Perlman, booked a ticket to San Francisco. He drove to the Lincoln airport and waited through an hour-long delay.

So the most scrutinized man in Nebraska waited in the lobby, dressed in jeans and a Senior U.S. Open baseball cap -- details reported by the Omaha World-Herald -- and nearly missed his connection in Denver.

Upon arrival in California, Eichorst took a cab to the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. It was after midnight, and he was set to meet Riley at the hotel at 8 a.m. on Tuesday.

They talked most of the morning in Eichorst's room. First, it was just the two of them. Perlman joined the discussion around 9. When the conversation ended, Riley left.

Eichorst looked at Perlman. "I think this is our guy," Eichorst said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12009292/behind-scenes-quiet-search-brought-mike-riley-nebraska-cornhuskers

I think most would have considered Narduzzi a wow hire. Pretty much the biggest-name coordinator. He went to Pitt so surely he would have come here if we offered. McElwain isn't really a wow but was high on a lot of people's lists.

Sark was 5-7 his first year followed by three 7-6 years and was 9-4 his last year. But, you know, he didn't have as many resources there.

If we had hired Narduzzi people would be pissed off that we hired another coordinator who had never been a HC and would be "learning on the job".

Picking nits, Sark was 8-4 his last year at UW. He didn't coach the bowl game...