New, True Pro Style Offense Vs. Gimmicky Offense Run Now?

Joe Ganz was every bit the quarterback that Zac was, and ran essentially the same system.

This is a good post though. Refreshing perspective.

I am going to respectfully disagree here.

Why? You realize among active quarterbacks his senior season he had the 3rd best career passer rating behind Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow?

Better passer rating, better completion percentage, more yardage, better runner. Not saying that's proof of anything but I don't know how you take one over the other.

Zac Taylor has a much higher football IQ and made the correct play more often than Ganz. Joe would force a lot of passes and threw a ton of picks, many of which were under zero pressure. Zac had a much worse supporting cast, and honestly probably won us 4-5 games a season just on his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball for first downs knowing he was going to get creamed.

I liked Joe Ganz. I am also going to get murdered for this, but he is probably the most overrated QB in Nebraska Football history. IMHO

• Fire 1

Joe Ganz was every bit the quarterback that Zac was, and ran essentially the same system.

Why? You realize among active quarterbacks his senior season he had the 3rd best career passer rating behind Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow?

Better passer rating, better completion percentage, more yardage, better runner. Not saying that's proof of anything but I don't know how you take one over the other.

Zac Taylor has a much higher football IQ and made the correct play more often than Ganz. Joe would force a lot of passes and threw a ton of picks, many of which were under zero pressure. Zac had a much worse supporting cast, and honestly probably won us 4-5 games a season just on his ability to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball for first downs knowing he was going to get creamed.

I liked Joe Ganz. I am also going to get murdered for this, but he is probably the most overrated QB in Nebraska Football history. IMHO

He just did not give a wow factor.

I think folks loved Ganz more because he WASN'T Sam Keller.

MNC in 2009 with Joe at the helm. No doubt in my mind. Man what could've been......

Would have loved to see that match-up with Alabama. But we would easily have won all the games we actually did play. EASILY.

Joe Gantz should have always started over Keller. Zac Taylor was tougher than a muskrat. And he came up here from Oklahoma which makes me like him more. He had to really put everything he had into those 25 yd outs and he got it done, more often than not after peeling himself out of the turf the play before. To me it seemed like the coaches bailed on Z Lee. He had some great intangibles.

• Fire 1

Zac Taylor has a much higher football IQ and made the correct play more often than Ganz. Joe would force a lot of passes and threw a ton of picks, many of which were under zero pressure.

Zac had 8 picks to Joe's 11 in 2008? Not exactly a ton.

Unless you think it's fair to compare Joe Ganz's 2007 games where Callahan went air raid to try and save his job. But I don't think it is.

Zac Taylor has a much higher football IQ and made the correct play more often than Ganz. Joe would force a lot of passes and threw a ton of picks, many of which were under zero pressure.

Zac had 8 picks to Joe's 11 in 2008? Not exactly a ton.

Unless you think it's fair to compare Joe Ganz's 2007 games where Callahan went air raid to try and save his job. But I don't think it is.

...and this is an example of where stats don't tell the whole truth. Zac Taylor's INT's were nearly 100% due to unbelievable defensive pressure and tipped passes. Seriously, watch those on film from 2006. I think he had one bad decision that wound up a pick that entire year. Watch the OU game, he is getting his ass kicked on every play. We couldn't block a middle school team's d line that year. Ganz was good for a terrible decision nearly every game. Weren't something like 5 or 6 of those 11 INT's pick 6's?

However, I digress. I am not so sure we are going to see us slinging the ball all over the field with this team. At least not right away. I think we will be running the ball a lot here in the near future. It just won't be this gimmicky ass shotgun spread. (I hope)

• Fire 2

They both were good in their own right. IIRC Zac checked down a lot, even if it was just a two yard gain on 3rd and 6. But he was accurate down field for the most part when he had time to throw. I liked how Ganz could move around the pocket and scramble for some yards. He was accurate too, but had some Favre in his veins. Sometimes Joe reminded me of a bobble head when he ran because his helmet looked two big for his neck & shoulders. And Zac had heavy bricks or cement in his shoes.

Ahh, the good times...

• Fire 1

Weren't something like 5 or 6 of those 11 INT's pick 6's?

Also per your recommendation I just watched all three interceptions of Taylor's from the championship game. Two of them he didn't have a single player within 4 yards, and the third I guess the pocket was kind of smaller but he still never got touched by anyone. There was another one that he threw right into the numbers of an OU defender that got dropped, too.

I didn't watch every single play but on those, at least, he just made terrible decisions. But I digress too - I love Zac, I love Joe, and I couldn't pick one over the other.

I love this OP. Sums up my feelings exactly on the new era of offense. It terribly stunts the growth of the most important player on the team, the qb. Yes, it can make it easier for guys to succeed, but long term you'd be better off letting a guy learn and develop the mental side of the game.

This spread style of offense is p**syfying the game of football right now. While it has moments of toughness - it lacks a certain physical toughness.

Pistol:

Spread: