We do have talent....

mwj98

haha its all good man, not gonna lie, his first 2 TDs I did let out a few choice expletives knowing he coulda been doing that for us, great to see him succeeding elsewhere and happy as hell that they're taking it to the "Greatest thing ever" AKA SEC.

Here's to a new year and era for Husker football, I imagine all of us will be doing the following here in a few hours...

:wasted

You never know. Green made the right call...good for him.

Here's a list of people you've never heard from again. Feel free to add.

Braylon Heard

Brion Carnes

King Frazier

Cody Green - I know he started at Tulsa, but his play there was similiar to here.

Also, don't leave out the fact that Ole Miss is garbage. This was my high point confidence game in the Bowl pick em.

Funny story about Carnes. Just this year he was playing at Northern Iowa(I believe) heard the game on radio. He helped knock of USD.

King Frazier plays for the Bizon, watched him play in the playoffs, and Heard had a few touchdowns for Kentucky this year.

I really wasn't making a point of whether or not they played anymore. They left as minimal contributors and are still minimal contributors at inferior programs.

Carnes plays quite a bit, the others get 2-5 touches a game. Carnes stats are horrid by the way.

Good one. So let's bring this keyboard talk in for a landing. Shall we.

Bottom line. Have we utilized our talent? Did we scheme right based on personnel? Both are coaching questions. Seeing green play, tells me there is talent at Nebraska. Regardless, of if he got beat out or not. I isn't a "he got be out and transferred statement" it's a "do we have enough in the cupboard to make it happen?"

If I keep spoon feeding you. You can't keep spitting it out.

In fairness, I took the exact same interpretation of your OP that gossamor did. Now that you've explained what you meant, I agree - Nebraska certainly has talent and has recruited really good players. The problem here has always been development, which I think the previous staff was very inconsistent at doing. Some players started near the bottom of the totem pole and became really good (Spencer Long/Ameer Abdullah), while others came in here with a lot of upside and either transferred or never played up to their ability (Aaron Green/Andrew Rodriguez).

AROD was always an interesting recruit. He was one of the best linemen Nebraska had produced in recent year and was relatively underwhelming given his four-star status. I don't mean to single him out, but the offensive line and it's development, specifically, has been pretty bad the last seven years.

Given Riley's reputation as a developer, I'm excited to see what that means when he's working with a cupboard of three/four stars instead of one and two stars.

One of the biggest problems I always had with Bo and his recruiting was how he seemed to stack certain positions while trying to go bare bones on others. At different times in the past seven years, we used a lot of scholarships on just QBs and RBs while pretty much neglecting OL and other positions.

We can have all the talent in the world at the skill positions, but we won't be great until we have talent on the lines.

• Fire 1

One of the biggest problems I always had with Bo and his recruiting was how he seemed to stack certain positions while trying to go bare bones on others. At different times in the past seven years, we used a lot of scholarships on just QBs and RBs while pretty much neglecting OL and other positions.

We can have all the talent in the world at the skill positions, but we won't be great until we have talent on the lines.

At first, I thought we just had bad luck with transfers, injuries, etc. But, over a seven-year time period, we've never had one line that I would say played a great season. Average to above average is about the best we've had game in and game out, with some very below average performances mixed in. That's coaching if it's a problem persisting for that long.

We've had some good players along the lines, but they've rarely developed into All-Conference talent, and when a starter does get hurt, his back-up usually wasn't ready.

gossamorharpy man, don't get me started. You obviously don't know Nebraska's history at running back, and how depth completes our team. Your knowledge cannot race past 5-10 years of this school's storied history.

Man. Anyone can see our mistake by allowing Aaron Green to leave. At running back, you have to stock up. You have to!!!! Attrition will rock you. It crushed our NU when we had to face Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin a month ago. A banged up Ameer Abdullah was not going to be enough going into that matchup.

Nebraska teams of the past loaded up at running back. We did not let 5-star RBs leave. We didn't!!!!

1980 - Jarvis Redwine, Roger Craig, Craig Johnson. Great depth. No one left or transferred. The team went 10-2.

1981 - Roger Craig, Mike Rozier ... both combined for over 2,000 yards rushing as tailbacks. No one left the team. 9-3.

1982 - Roger Craig and Mike Rozier again. Ditto. 12-1 record. Jeff Smith joined the fine duo.

1983 - Roger Craig, Jeff Smith, Paul Miles ... you got to have depth. Scoring Explosion, 12-1.

Move on ...

1987 - Keith Jones, Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox ... tremendous depth. Keep everyone happy! Tom Osborne did (while Coach Pelini kept Aaron Green on the bench in 2011) Huskers roll to 10-2.

1988 - Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox, Leodis Flowers ... these were tremendously talented runners. Osborne didn't let anyone transfer. It worked. A 11-2 finish and a Big Eight title.

Move on a few more years ...

1991 - Calvin Jones and Derek Brown ... Both wanted to be the MAN. Calvin Jones was a 5 star recruit that wanted to start. He was patient. Derek Brown ran to 1,300 yards while Calvin Jones piled up 900 yards (8.3 yards a carry). Coach Osborne kept them happy, even when the duo felt discontent. 9-2-1 record.

1992 - The "We Backs" Calvin Jones and Derek Brown both ran north of 1,000 yards that season. Jones averaged 7.2 per carry. Brown was a shifty 5-9, 185 pounder who remained elusive while Jones ran a 4.3 forty yard dash and had several 90 yard touchdown runs during his career. 9-3 record.

We had depth back then. Coach Osborne found a way to keep his running backs from leaving. Coach Bo Pelini blew this task. I have been watching TCU's Aaron Green's stat line the entire year knowing fully what a huge, HUGE error this was ... that the current Nebraska had forgotten how the former version of itself had managed to successfully build up its running back depth.

There is mid range talent right now in our program. The same type of talent that I feel KSU has each year. You can either coach it up and go and win 10 games a season or let it be what it is and win 6 or 7 games a year. Anyway thats not my point here. My point is there is a fine line of whether you recruit elite level talent or you recruit 3 star talent and make them 5 star players.

Frankly, elite level recruits are few and far between and are going to go to FSU, Alabama, Oregon, Ohio St and now Michigan. I think that having an NFL ready program and recruiting NFL caliber talent is where it starts in todays game. The days of recruiting corn fed beef lineman from in state are over. No one has that level of passion for the program anymore. Thats what separated Neb from most schools for so many years. Our tough beef fed boys from in state could go out and play with passion, purpose and basically just run over you. That is gone. That has been gone for years. Thats why TO never had to recruit 5 star lineman and players. Player came here and played with purpose and passion. Team first. Nebraska first. Our new breed of recruit does not care about Nebraska as much as they care if they get 25 carries per game, thrown at 8 times a game, 2 sacks, 3 tckl for losses. We use to keep track of pancakes. This is what is missing at Neb.

There is mid range talent right now in our program. The same type of talent that I feel KSU has each year. You can either coach it up and go and win 10 games a season or let it be what it is and win 6 or 7 games a year. Anyway thats not my point here. My point is there is a fine line of whether you recruit elite level talent or you recruit 3 star talent and make them 5 star players.

Frankly, elite level recruits are few and far between and are going to go to FSU, Alabama, Oregon, Ohio St and now Michigan. I think that having an NFL ready program and recruiting NFL caliber talent is where it starts in todays game. The days of recruiting corn fed beef lineman from in state are over. No one has that level of passion for the program anymore. Thats what separated Neb from most schools for so many years. Our tough beef fed boys from in state could go out and play with passion, purpose and basically just run over you. That is gone. That has been gone for years. Thats why TO never had to recruit 5 star lineman and players. Player came here and played with purpose and passion. Team first. Nebraska first. Our new breed of recruit does not care about Nebraska as much as they care if they get 25 carries per game, thrown at 8 times a game, 2 sacks, 3 tckl for losses. We use to keep track of pancakes. This is what is missing at Neb.

As a kid that grew up in a small town and still have cousins and family in this town I can tell you this is a load of bullsh#t. The passion is still there, and I think it is imperative we develop these kids again.

As a kid that grew up in a small town and still have cousins and family in this town I can tell you this is a load of bullsh#t. The passion is still there, and I think it is imperative we develop these kids again.

The passion may still be there but the scholarships are not.

gossamorharpy man, don't get me started. You obviously don't know Nebraska's history at running back, and how depth completes our team. Your knowledge cannot race past 5-10 years of this school's storied history.

Man. Anyone can see our mistake by allowing Aaron Green to leave. At running back, you have to stock up. You have to!!!! Attrition will rock you. It crushed our NU when we had to face Melvin Gordon and Wisconsin a month ago. A banged up Ameer Abdullah was not going to be enough going into that matchup.

Nebraska teams of the past loaded up at running back. We did not let 5-star RBs leave. We didn't!!!!

1980 - Jarvis Redwine, Roger Craig, Craig Johnson. Great depth. No one left or transferred. The team went 10-2.

1981 - Roger Craig, Mike Rozier ... both combined for over 2,000 yards rushing as tailbacks. No one left the team. 9-3.

1982 - Roger Craig and Mike Rozier again. Ditto. 12-1 record. Jeff Smith joined the fine duo.

1983 - Roger Craig, Jeff Smith, Paul Miles ... you got to have depth. Scoring Explosion, 12-1.

Move on ...

1987 - Keith Jones, Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox ... tremendous depth. Keep everyone happy! Tom Osborne did (while Coach Pelini kept Aaron Green on the bench in 2011) Huskers roll to 10-2.

1988 - Ken Clark, Tyreese Knox, Leodis Flowers ... these were tremendously talented runners. Osborne didn't let anyone transfer. It worked. A 11-2 finish and a Big Eight title.

1991 - Calvin Jones and Derek Brown ... Both wanted to be the MAN. Calvin Jones was a 5 star recruit that wanted to start. He was patient. Derek Brown ran to 1,300 yards while Calvin Jones piled up 900 yards (8.3 yards a carry). Coach Osborne kept them happy, even when the duo felt discontent. 9-2-1 record.

1992 - The "We Backs" Calvin Jones and Derek Brown both ran north of 1,000 yards that season. Jones averaged 7.2 per carry. Brown was a shifty 5-9, 185 pounder who remained elusive while Jones ran a 4.3 forty yard dash and had several 90 yard touchdown runs during his career. 9-3 record.

We had depth back then. Coach Osborne found a way to keep his running backs from leaving. Coach Bo Pelini blew this task. I have been watching TCU's Aaron Green's stat line the entire year knowing fully what a huge, HUGE error this was ... that the current Nebraska had forgotten how the former version of itself had managed to successfully build up its running back depth.

Agree

Move on ...

Agree

it's hard to keep a stable full of prima donna RB's now.....they play for highlight reels and stats.......no one likes to sit on the bench and running back by committee makes no one happy.......still, you need at least 2 great backs and Ohio state proved they could keep 3 really good QB's......although I doubt Braxton play next season for OSU.......damn, they got talent at QB 3 deep!! sh#t, we can't even get one guy to be a real QB...that's how far we have to go!!