"Realistic" expectations 2015 & Beyond

A bit dramatic eh?

I expect Nebraska to start playing more fundamentally sound, technical football. I expect cleaner games with a higher level of execution. I expect to see depth and experience developed. I expect the team to play faster, with less hesitation and more aggression. I expect a higher level of understanding of responsibilities on any given play which will allow an individual player to become more of a playmaker and less of a chess piece. I expect the guys to be happy and have fun. I expect their coach to support them and teach them at every opportunity that presents itself. I expect an overall upgrade in the level of teaching, period.

If we are playing good football, I wouldn't see why we don't continue to compete at the upper tier of this conference. It will depend on the level of football Michigan State and Wisconsin continue to operate. If we can compete with them, I would expect to be seeing Urban Meyer and Ohio St. in the future. It might not be year one, but I don't expect it to take more than 3. When will we beat Ohio St. and be Conference Champs? I have no idea. I hope it doesn't take more than 5 years, but no kows.

I'd take a lot of comfort in watching a strong fundamental effort in which the team looks effective and efficient in what they do. That'd be the best place to start IMO. I think we have just the right coach in place to make sure that's where we start.

I agree with this, but I want to add something. I expect Nebraska to be in the top 15 and to be in the MNC hunt nearly every year. I expect NU to reach a four team playoff at least once every five years. I am not certain Riley and the staff named so far can achieve this.

Loss to BYU - Bo's ghost is blamed.

Win to S. Alabama Riley is proclaimed coaching great.

Loss to Miami Bo is blamed.

Win to Ill and Southern Miss Riley got those kids back on track!

Loss majorly to Wisc the camps divide even more.

Loss to Minn, Riley gets for sale signs in his yard.

Loss to NW geez guys new coach adjusting to the Big Ten have faith he will get it!

Win at Purdue all right back on the road to Indy!

Loss to Michigan State and or Rutgers.

Win against Iowa.

I am guessing 5 or 6 wins. Maybe just maybe people will stop the warm body argument and stop thinking coaching at that level is as easy as NCAA on the xbox...

Fans will say its an adjustment from Pac football to Big Ten, some will claim recruits are wrong for the system, some will claim Bo poisoned the team.

It will be 2004 redux.

Huskerboard - still toxic.

• Fire 1

I want to see competitive (no blow out losses or giving up 400+ yards rushing to one back), competent football with no sideline sideshows or off the field antics by the coach.

A conference championship and football playoff in the first year might be asking a bit much but in the next three years I would hope to see that.

Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State have averaged top ten recruiting classes for the last 5 years, Oregon around 12 to 13 guess. Did not take the time to figure it out as watching the playoff game.

Looking at those classes and talent level of those classes, thinking Nebraska is a playoff caliber football team in the next 3 or 4 years is truly showing your homer side. A lot of things are going to have to improve for Nebraska to see a playoff berth. Talent wise, we are not close, depth wise we are not close.

Being about where we are is realistic, maybe a game or two more wins a year on occasion, no embarrassing melt downs on the sideline, making the CCG once or twice in a 5 year period seems to be our level. We will never return to the 90's, time to understand that.

Recruiting is the key. Way behind, not even close, can Coach Riley do better and improve the kids we get. Those are the questions.

Just saying we are good enough has not proven true for the last 15 years, it still isn't.

Going from no CC in how long to being in the playoffs in three to four is a stretch I think.

Alabama, Florida State, Ohio State have averaged top ten recruiting classes for the last 5 years, Oregon around 12 to 13 guess. Did not take the time to figure it out as watching the playoff game.

Looking at those classes and talent level of those classes, thinking Nebraska is a playoff caliber football team in the next 3 or 4 years is truly showing your homer side. A lot of things are going to have to improve for Nebraska to see a playoff berth. Talent wise, we are not close, depth wise we are not close.

Being about where we are is realistic, maybe a game or two more wins a year on occasion, no embarrassing melt downs on the sideline, making the CCG once or twice in a 5 year period seems to be our level. We will never return to the 90's, time to understand that.

Recruiting is the key. Way behind, not even close, can Coach Riley do better and improve the kids we get. Those are the questions.

Just saying we are good enough has not proven true for the last 15 years, it still isn't.

Going from no CC in how long to being in the playoffs in three to four is a stretch I think.

roads-1420135354.gif

Sadly I agree time to get back to work on the delorean.

Fear not having Ameer. Excited about the defense, especially with the return of M Rose and CJax. Offense I really have no clue. Have some really good players, WesterK, DPE, CC etc; but questions at QB/RB and who will be next years AA or leader. I have the feeling O-line will improve though.

This is my concern as well. We really were mundane when Ameer was out this year. Will there be a rb that will step up? If not, it could be a very long year. I do expect better play from the qb position due to qb coaching finally being there.

All of us want to see Nebraska on top. I think there will be times we flirt with it.

The one positive is that Oregon has done it with classes similar to what we get. Riley has proven in the past that he can develop personnel.

They have a nitch offense, if we can develop talent, recruit better, and have an identification we can be a top ten program. That is great for a area like Nebraska.

We just have give it time. Not expect too much too quickly. This team needs our support now more than they ever have.

Be positive Nebraska fan.

We are in what many have called the worst of the power 5 divisions. The champion of that division just had their coach leave for a lower tier job, and the best RB in school history is going to the NFL. We have talent at all positions, but not alot of depth.

Minimum? #9wins

Expectations: Trip to Indy.

This is not unreasonable.

:horns

We are in what many have called the worst of the power 5 divisions. The champion of that division just had their coach leave for a lower tier job, and the best RB in school history is going to the NFL. We have talent at all positions, but not alot of depth.

Minimum? #9wins

You got Polo's approval. Congratulations!

I'm going to be very disappointed with any loss we may get. However, in his first year, if the program seems well organized with a clear idea of what they want to accomplish and the players have bought in and are improving, the exact outcome of next year really means nothing.

That said, if all that is true, I believe we have the talent to compete for the conference championship IF these kids play to their potential.

It might just take some time to develop that potential while learning all new systems.

With the schedule we have I'd say 10 wins and a division title should be the goal. We get BYU, NW, Wiscy, MSU and Iowa at home. I dont expect an over night fix by any means but this hire had some folk scratching their heads, a good season is what we need to solidify this regime.

• Fire 1

Learning a new system should not be an issue. One of the reasons for a coaching change was to play to the strengths of the players. Ohio State certainly had no coaching change transition issues when Meyer was brought aboard.

Sometimes it works that way and some times it doesn't. There have been programs that have gone through both situations and have ended up successful.

A championship is always the goal. Sometimes that can happen quickly and some times it takes a little longer.

Minimum? #9wins

You got Polo's approval. Congratulations!

It's like a certificate of bad boy lifestyle achieved, kimosabe.