SEC my a$$

Not Husker related, but no SEC in the championship game. Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss and Miss St lost. Auburn and Bama to B1G teams.....

The B1G did well today. Just wish NU could've gotten USC.

Mods feel free to move if needed.

You gotta love it. They won despite Urban. Thought he must have gone to the Bo Pelini School on Coaching. First half - first and goal from the one and they line up in shotgun? With a big QB. Sneak the damn thing 3 times if you have to. Then that last drive pass. What the hell was he thinking. We'll trick em. Was pulling my nose hairs out. GO SEC. Down the tubes. YES!

Ohio State has never run under center since Urban Meyer became coach. Switching to that at the goal line could be disastrous. (Since they never practice it)

What ensued was disastrous. They go from 1st and goal from the 1 to 2nd and goal from the 10. I assume you are implying that they might fumble the snap? I'll take my chances under center.

Correct. And personally, I'd rather take only a safety than give the other team a chance to get a TD from fumbling the snap.

I think you are confused. They were first and goal from the 1 yard line. Unless they would get sacked for a 99 yard loss, a safety wasn't a concern. When you're first and goal on the 1 you don't line up in a shotgun especially with an empty backfield. Did you see this play? If so didn't you cringe when you saw this formation?

Sorry, I thought you meant when they were on the 1 yard line the other side. :lol: My bad.

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given validation due to A&Ms blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterdays 2 games show how flawed this system was, and theres little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the SEC fatigue excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think youll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

I haven't spent a lot of time concerning myself with the SEC bias topic, but yep, this pretty much sums it all up.

Don't want to take away anything from the championships they won, but my not-so-bold prediction is we'll see far fewer SEC national champions now that they have to earn their way into the game.

The "SEC fatigue" excuse simply isn't a valid one considering the month off between games.

• Fire 1

Perception vs reality

In September, many members of the media, led by ESPN, declared the Big Ten dead. Those same individuals boasted that the SEC West the greatest division in the history of CFB. The problem was, that entire argument was based on the flaw of pre-season rankings and biased perception. It was given validation due to A&Ms blowout victory over South Carolina, and was used to boost both Mississippi schools, and Alabama into the top tiers of the rankings.

Under the old BCS system, we would have had an Alabama vs Florida State matchup. Why? Because of the perception of SEC strength, based mostly on circular logic. Yes they won 7 straight, but they also got the benefit of the doubt to even play in the title game over comparable teams. Yesterdays 2 games show how flawed this system was, and theres little doubt that with a 4 team playoff, the 7 MNC streak would have never happened. No more title game layups, and no more automatic entry.

It was a huge day for the conference, and CFB in general. The SEC was exposed, even with the SEC fatigue excuses. Plus, the B1G was validated as extremely underrated. Part of it is due to increased play by the B1G teams, and part is simply due to more balanced match ups. The SEC stranglehold is over, and I think youll see a more balanced playing field in the future.

I haven't spent a lot of time concerning myself with the SEC bias topic, but yep, this pretty much sums it all up.

Don't want to take away anything from the championships they won, but my not-so-bold prediction is we'll see far fewer SEC national champions now that they have to earn their way into the game.

The "SEC fatigue" excuse simply isn't a valid one considering the month off between games.

Yeah, exactly. Yes, they won the games, and credit them for doing it. BUT.... there's no doubt in my mind that they don't win all of those if there's a 4 team playoff.

Was there ever a conference hatred before that SEC chant came about?

Not really, there was some smack talking but it didn't really start till a few years ago, it was made worse by eSECpn when they started marketing them. In the 90's hardly anyone cared if someone in your conference won. Then some networks to get more click bait started writing articles on how one conference is better then another, despite neither conference playing each other like with the ACC/BIG challenge. Really it's all f'ing ridiculous.

I have lived in the middle of the SC twice, Memphis and Columbia, South Carolina. It is very different. Fans are dispersed all over the area. On the block I lived on in Memphis, it was common to see every single SEC team flag on Saturdays.

Living in Omaha, seldom saw anything but Nebraska gear, in SoCal, when they are winning you see some SC flags out, seldom a UCLA flag, and nothing when the season is over. Very little college football information on the TV, unless the Trojans or Bruins are doing well.

Imagine 10 fan bases that are near to Nebraska in love of program in Nebraska. That is the SEC. Many more fans, undoubtable due to the population, but football in the SEC is way different, way more competitive between the fan bases it seemed to me. And your hated rival lived next door. It was fun living there, passionate fans to say the least.

I hate the SEC chant, have since I first heard it, but they seem to cross boundries more so than other places. So it is understandable I guess.

They have had scoreboard, it is up to the rest of the country to keep the chant silent. We have a start!!!! Thank Gawd!!!!

Did anyone else catch when Mississippi State scored a TD against Georgia Tech and Mushberger actually referred to the TD as the SEC scoring it. I cannot remember the actual quote, but I couldn't believe it. Did any other commentator refer to another team from the ACC/BIG10/PAC12 by their conference name in the other bowl games???

Un - fuggin - believable!!! Conference comparisons was always around but this year it was discussed exponentially. I think the directive came down from ESPN to discuss it which then trickles down to other media outlets. SEC wanted the 4 team to get multiple teams in and they way to do that is to pump up the conference via its business partner - ESPN. Mooseburger had it drilled into his head to think "SEC" when anything positive happens on the field.

The SEC is the best conference in college football year in and year out. They have the toughest front 7s on average and more depth than other conferences. The big boys to recruit are right there in their own back yard. They will always have that basic advantage. LSU capitalizes on this very well. They might not have the best QB every year but just go ahead and try to push them around for 4 quarters. It gets harder the longer your team is on the field.

The SEC is still probably the best overall conference but they don't have the two best teams. No SEC National Champion for another year is a beautiful thing. They can chant SEC all they want down there, but their day is done for this season. Hope Ohio St. brings it home. Of course, that makes Nebraska's road to a Conference Chamoionship that much more difficult but really, even if Ohio St. loses, it's never going to be easy to beat Urban Meyer and Ohio St.