losing recruits to Michigan?

I thought he sold them on facilities, to compete with Cal, Tetford had improved Cal quite a bit. Never followed it closely, just remember him being a total ass at midfield with Pete Carrol. I could be jaded as I like Carrol.

Oregon State has never had top of the line facilities, and I think Riley beat Stanford during their better years, but to lazy to look that up. I know my SC buddies respect Coach Riley, and they think we made a hell of an improvement. Total reversal on the recruiting front it seems to me.

Michigan has just as much to offer as Nebraska as far as tradition, support, etc goes. They have a bigger name coach, which doesn't mean better, but it's a recruiting draw. They're also one of the best public universities in the country and Ann Arbor probably has bigger draw than Lincoln.

It isn't a huge stretch to think that Michigan will reassert themselves quickly under Harbaugh. Hoke was a bad coach, not a bad recruiter. Nebraska has a culture hurdle to cross before it can move forward (thanks, Bo) and this team has not been left in great shape. How many of you are solid about what we have at quarterback right now? That's not to mention potential serious problem spots at LB and DE that the new staff is inheriting.

Sorry, didn't mean to be such a downer there. The sky isn't falling here by a long shot, but Michigan is a formidable opponent in any recruiting battle.

this is a good post. But me personally I still dont see where it answers my question of what does Michigan have to offer that we dont in a big picture.

I'm not tryin to find a way to say Nebraska has something to offer that Michigan doesnt. I think the two are pretty damn equal. But it just feels like there's this perception natianally that compariing Nebraska to Michigan is like comparing Nebraska to say Florida or USC in the recruiting front right now. And to me when you look at some recruiting disadvantage perceptions such as weather, midwest, Big10, and so on, Michigan isnt free from those kinda things either.

So it's not really about being better but being equal. And I still dont see where an opportunity at Michigan blows out of the water an opportunity at Nebraska.

What is the one thing that nearly every single D1 recruit with a star rating of three or higher wants to achieve? They want to play in the NFL, correct? Which university you mention has a coach who just came from the NFL? Which school has a coach that coached his team to the Super Bowl? Which school has a coach that put Stanford back on the football map?

If Pete Carroll quit the Seahawks today and was named the HC at Wyoming, I'd argue he'd have no problem luring top talent to Laramie. I'm not sure how much attention potential recruits pay attention to money and such, but Michigan just made Harbaugh the highest paid college coach. I'd see this as a great commitment to the sport I'm being recruited to play.

I'm excited about our situation here at Nebraska and Riley as our coach. However, it's pretty easy to see why Michigan will enjoy an easier time recruiting.

Damn, I knew we should have kept Calahan. :confucius

Um, Clownahan was a lot of things. However, being a poor recruiter wasn't one of them. Bo's best years here at Nebraska were with Clownahan recruits. Just because he was pi$$ poor at player development doesn't mean he couldn't recruit. Just because a coach is a great recruiter doesn't mean he will be successful. If this were the case, Hoke would still be at Michigan.

My guess has always been had Callahan fired Cosgrove & brought in someone who could put an above average defense on the field he would still be here. From the begining the best thing he could have done was taken the Urban Meyer approach & left the DC in place which would have been Pelini. Not sure he would have stayed though.

You guys still miss a little bit on the Cosgrove angst. The defense wasnt an issue until it was too late for everyone. The defense was playing championship caliber football at the end of '06. I dont know what happened from then to '07. Probably a combination of things. Fresh faces on the DL, an over-complication of schemes, incredible offensive lineup in the Big12, and most obvious, some quit for a lot of players. But the fact is, prior to '07, there was not reason to replace Cosgrove. None at all. Like the rest of the team, progress was being made year by year, until the last year.

You guys still miss a little bit on the Cosgrove angst. The defense wasnt an issue until it was too late for everyone. The defense was playing championship caliber football at the end of '06. I dont know what happened from then to '07. Probably a combination of things. Fresh faces on the DL, an over-complication of schemes, incredible offensive lineup in the Big12, and most obvious, some quit for a lot of players. But the fact is, prior to '07, there was not reason to replace Cosgrove. None at all. Like the rest of the team, progress was being made year by year, until the last year.

Exactly. Going in to 07' you couldn't have predicted what was to come. A lot of that had to do w/ the B12 at the time. It was like playing Oregon/Ohio St 4-5 times that year. Pelini would have found himself with a nearly identical record as Cally did that year. Last years D was hardly better than 07's. In fact we had 07's D the last few years, it was just covered by the crap we played 10-11 times a season.

About the only thing Cally could have done was fire Coz mid-season. He never got a chance to after. They gave Solich that chance and it blew up in their face when he turned it around and they still wanted him gone. No way Cally was getting the same chance to turn it around.

Harbaugh has to talk to any recruit that shows interest and they evaluate on film that fits what they want to do. He only has a month to recruit, so poaching is going to be a part of it. My guess is going forward Harbaugh will want to have his class wrapped up early so I don't see the poaching trend continuing, except maybe for OSU. :o)

Exactly. Going in to 07' you couldn't have predicted what was to come. A lot of that had to do w/ the B12 at the time. It was like playing Oregon/Ohio St 4-5 times that year. Pelini would have found himself with a nearly identical record as Cally did that year. Last years D was hardly better than 07's. In fact we had 07's D the last few years, it was just covered by the crap we played 10-11 times a season.

About the only thing Cally could have done was fire Coz mid-season. He never got a chance to after. They gave Solich that chance and it blew up in their face when he turned it around and they still wanted him gone. No way Cally was getting the same chance to turn it around.

Great point. We're fortunate to play in the Big Ten West where our D doesn't get exposed against the offenses we face. Iowa and Minnesota aren't exactly going to light you up no matter how bad the defense is.

In 07, we probably faced what might be considered the most potent offenses ever assembled in 1 conference that year. Texas Tech, Kansas, and Missouri had school record breaking offenses. Not to mention the traditional powers of the conference, Texas and Oklahoma. Heck, Ball State went on to have a pretty good season in 07 and 08 and they had a great offense.

All is fair in love and war. How many threads on our Recruiting Board are titled "University X sucks, who can we steal?" Harbaugh is a good coach with tremendous name brand recognition. MR will have his hands full with competing against him and Meyer at Ohio State. However, if NE wants to become elite, that is what he needs to do.

Absolutely correct, the ABC of selling. Nebraska football, a used corvair or the Marine Corps. You have to ask for the sale/commitment. We did not do that, oh, hope your having fun, maybe you should go home and talk with mommy and daddy about YOUR decision, your choice for the rest of your life (next 4 years) or be a man and do it now. You never send someone home to think about it. NEVER EVER!!!!!!

Let's use this Neal re-affirmment (cuz that's what it was. he never really decommitted) to analyze how good of a job this staff has done with this recruiting class in the wake of a toxic and somewhat controversial departure of the previous staff. The only two recruits they lost now are two guys that were gonna be gone anyway. And now the Neal fella, who expressed numerous time his displeasure in the removal of the old staff (which is fine. No problem with that. You build relationships with staff.). And Riley and co.-with some idiotic assistance from Mattison apparently-are able to seal the deal with him in the face of Oklahoma, Michigan, and Oregon.

Let's let that sink in for a moment. Omaha or not. This Daishon Neal signing, even if something happens and he never plays a down, is a big deal.