Rand Paul is a douchebag

Link because it's NSFW.

We solve this problem by using logic & reason. Logic tells us there's no evidence that vaccinations cause autism, or any other, similar disease. Logic tells us that kids used to die in FAR greater numbers prior to the era of modern vaccination.

Yet people aren't doing it? Why?

Because people do dumb things all the time, like not vaccinating your child on the grounds of bunk and junk science.

• Fire 3

I find the idea of pumping babies, who have just been born, full of drugs unsettling. At the end of the day, they are drugs, whether you want to admit it or not. A baby's immune system is so weak...I guess I just have a problem flooding it with drugs.

And that is EXACTLY the reason all children who don't have a medical condition that prevents vaccination should be vaccinated. Children get vaccines at 1 year to 18 months old and a booster before kindergarten. These keep the diseases from spreading to the "weak" babies and other people with weak immune system who would love the vaccines if they could receive them.

I would be furious to find out some 5 year old with irresponsible parents gave my infant child the measles at daycare. There are people in Omaha who are quarantined with their infants for 30 days because of this stupidity. Fortunately we were able to get our five year olds in for the MMR booster in time when we were notified of the potential exposure, because that's what reasonable people do.

I say stupidity because that's what it is...

Part of the problem is also the lack of information about what is actually causing autism. There have been a number of studies put out about the link between vitamin D deficiencies and autism but for some reason they aren't making their way into the general public.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is such a broad category of neurodevelopmental disorders finding a cause or causes is difficult. You can correlate it to anything and everything if you have a large enough data set. ASD has become a catch-all for developmental disorders not fitting another category. Clinically, the industry needs to continue to better define autism and the other Neurodevelopmental conditions.

The Vitamin D "possible link" being researched is conjecture. It is based on possible higher incidence in areas with lower level of sunshine (cloudy days) or times of year (spring/fall) when sunshine is less. In most of these areas, humidity increases during those times as well. Molds/spores/fungus propagate during these conditions. Could it be a mold or fungus causing it? Who knows but the research just started and is a hypothesis the media is selling irresponsibly.

The strongest support for the Vitamin D link was a study where a few dozen children diagnosed autistic had their vitamin D levels compared to a smaller number of children diagnosed NOT autistic. Something like 1/3 (or slightly more) of the autistic children had a vitamin D deficiency where none of the non-autistic children tested were vitamin D deficient.

Is it possible the children diagnosed autistic spent less time in the sun? Is it a stretch for an autistic child to NOT be allowed outside by him/herself and the caregivers keep the child indoors more than is healthy for the child? I don't know but these Dr's know that Sun exposure affects vitamin D levels and did not quantify/compare time spent outside between the groups....

We agree on the need for better definitions.

In regards to the vitamin D link, the research is going beyond 'possible link' now. Here is a link to an article that gets into the 'weeds' on the issue.

Part of the problem is also the lack of information about what is actually causing autism. There have been a number of studies put out about the link between vitamin D deficiencies and autism but for some reason they aren't making their way into the general public.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is such a broad category of neurodevelopmental disorders finding a cause or causes is difficult. You can correlate it to anything and everything if you have a large enough data set. ASD has become a catch-all for developmental disorders not fitting another category. Clinically, the industry needs to continue to better define autism and the other Neurodevelopmental conditions.

The Vitamin D "possible link" being researched is conjecture. It is based on possible higher incidence in areas with lower level of sunshine (cloudy days) or times of year (spring/fall) when sunshine is less. In most of these areas, humidity increases during those times as well. Molds/spores/fungus propagate during these conditions. Could it be a mold or fungus causing it? Who knows but the research just started and is a hypothesis the media is selling irresponsibly.

The strongest support for the Vitamin D link was a study where a few dozen children diagnosed autistic had their vitamin D levels compared to a smaller number of children diagnosed NOT autistic. Something like 1/3 (or slightly more) of the autistic children had a vitamin D deficiency where none of the non-autistic children tested were vitamin D deficient.

Is it possible the children diagnosed autistic spent less time in the sun? Is it a stretch for an autistic child to NOT be allowed outside by him/herself and the caregivers keep the child indoors more than is healthy for the child? I don't know but these Dr's know that Sun exposure affects vitamin D levels and did not quantify/compare time spent outside between the groups....

We agree on the need for better definitions.

In regards to the vitamin D link, the research is going beyond 'possible link' now. Here is a link to an article that gets into the 'weeds' on the issue.

EDITED: The link is "suggested" to ASD cause. I've taken this way off topic so should probably start a new thread to discuss further...

Part of this has been fostered by the right's general distrust of science. The "They have a financial interest in it!" nonsense that we see in global warming is the same BS you see from some anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists. Also, no more with the phrase "anti-vaxxer" They are quite clearly "pro-disease".

Let's be honest here--there are plenty extremists on the left that are anti-vaxxer/pro-disease, for similar reasons of distrust of pharmaceutical companies and the government.

In fact, the anti-vaxxer/pro-disease movement is one of the few topics that can bring people from the right and left together. So...um...progress? :dunno

Part of this has been fostered by the right's general distrust of science. The "They have a financial interest in it!" nonsense that we see in global warming is the same BS you see from some anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists. Also, no more with the phrase "anti-vaxxer" They are quite clearly "pro-disease".

Let's be honest here--there are plenty extremists on the left that are anti-vaxxer/pro-disease, for similar reasons of distrust of pharmaceutical companies and the government.

In fact, the anti-vaxxer/pro-disease movement is one of the few topics that can bring people from the right and left together. So...um...progress? :dunno

There is no progress. Things are more of a circle really. When you go too far right and too far left, you end up in the same spot, seeing conspiracies from all sides, the only difference is the amount of guns.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

More on the Measles outbreak from Disneyland. Of Note:

Measles was declared eliminated in the United States in 2000 after decades of intensive childhood vaccine efforts. But in 2014, the country had its highest number of cases in two decades.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/24/us-usa-measles-idUSKBN0LS02920150224

I posted here since it's inline with the discussion and probably not worth creating a dedicated vaxxer thread...

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was only an "issue" in the hippie community.

No, it's an issue for the bible-thumping, pray-the-gay-and-disease away community too.

No, it is an issue for the "gubment ain't gon tell me what a do" community. Which happens to include a lot of Bible thumping, "pray-the-gay-away" community.

• 2 weeks later...