Rank the Nebraska sports journalists

knapplc

Most informative and level headed: McKewon

Most irritatingly positive (loved by some): Sipple

Most irritatingly negative (loved by some): Chatelain

Most entertaining radio: Sharp and Benning

Most annoying radio but with good guests: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Most missed local guy: Kevin Kugler (glad his career is going well)

This is my exact list, though I would give more credit to S&B and say they are informative as well as entertaining.

I don't feel Sipple really reserved much judgment. He was passionately in defense of Pelini, and that seemed to bleed over into everything he did, opinion piece or not. At least that was my perception, which could be unfair.

When it came to opinion pieces, he didn't seem a very insightful football guy. But, he does write well, and being a good writer who has access to the coaches, he often did and does come out with articles well worthy of reading.

Yeah, Sipple carried the flag for Pelini. And I bet he'll do the same for Riley. Sipple is a total homer when it comes to journalism. Nearly all of his articles are feel good, rah rah home team puff pieces. But I sort of like that. He is one of my favorite Husker beat sportswriters. I mean, who would want to read stuff tearing down their team all the time (like some writers are prone to do)? OTOH, it's good to have a mix of other, more critical, voices and opinions as well.

Chatelain gets a lot of ire and I think that comes from Bo's visible anger with him. A lot of fans who really were in Bo's corner directed some serious anger at the guy (and in the opposite way, for Sip. Crazy how it gets, right? They're just journalists.) But for his part, Dirk seems to revel in that bad guy status, and likes stirring the pot. Which is also kinda his job, I suppose, but doesn't totally endear him to people.

Chatelain is the polar opposite of Sipple. With perhaps a little bit of troll mixed in. He seems to lead the charge when it comes to criticizing Husker football. And Chatelain is an absolute master at filing click-bait articles. I think the OWH encourages this type of journalism since it's a style that sells papers and increases website traffic. But I have to admit that, once in a great while, Chatelain will write a somewhat critical piece that I truly enjoy. Too bad it doesn't happen more often.

I don't feel Sipple really reserved much judgment. He was passionately in defense of Pelini, and that seemed to bleed over into everything he did, opinion piece or not. At least that was my perception, which could be unfair.

When it came to opinion pieces, he didn't seem a very insightful football guy. But, he does write well, and being a good writer who has access to the coaches, he often did and does come out with articles well worthy of reading.

Chatelain gets a lot of ire and I think that comes from Bo's visible anger with him. A lot of fans who really were in Bo's corner directed some serious anger at the guy (and in the opposite way, for Sip. Crazy how it gets, right? They're just journalists.) But for his part, Dirk seems to revel in that bad guy status, and likes stirring the pot. Which is also kinda his job, I suppose, but doesn't totally endear him to people.

I think Sipple and I are a lot alike. I'm passionate about the Huskers - so is he. He's a scholar of the team, knows the details behind things, the intricacies of the front office & the field. He's always going to be pro-Nebraska not because he's kissing ass, but because that's how he sees the institution. People seem to forget that he was pro-Nebraska when Callahan was here, too. It wasn't a Bo thing. I have always identified well with Sipple for the same reason - whether it's Callahan, Pelini or Riley at the helm, I'm unabashedly pro-Huskers.

Chatelain gets ire from the pro-Bo contingent, sure, but he also gets ire from people who see through the tactics of what he writes. The dispassionate among us realize he's selling the OWH, but click-bait articles wear on some people. The stirring the pot thing is what irks people the most, and I'm guilty of that as much as anyone. Controversy for the sake of controversy annoys me, just like the Kardashians are famous for being famous. While Kim Kardashian is among the most annoying "celebrities" to me, I still acknowledge she's beautiful. Dirk annoys me at times, too - but that doesn't mean I won't acknowledge he's good at his craft.

Both Sipple & Chatelain at times thrill me & annoy me. But I wouldn't want either to leave. I think they're both great, and we're spoiled for having them, along with Sam, Christopherson, Nyatawa, etc.

Sipple has been a pretty stout defender of all coaches. I suppose it should be expected only being a few blocks from them. I dont think a lot of people realize how much more opportunity Sipple has to get to know these guys on a much more personal basis than the Omaha guys. I'm not saying he shouldnt be able to be more unbiased, but when you step in his shoes, and become much more "friends" than colleagues with these coaches, it really does become much harder to throw them under the bus at the press.

Most informative and level headed: McKewon

Most irritatingly positive (loved by some): Sipple

Most irritatingly negative (loved by some): Chatelain

Most entertaining radio: Sharp and Benning

Most annoying radio but with good guests: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Most missed local guy: Kevin Kugler (glad his career is going well)

This is right on.

When Sharp and Benning first started i wasnt so sure, but that is the best radio show in Nebraska...hands down.

I like Bishop and Josh personally and know them both very well but that show lost something when Kugler left.

Bahe isnt awful but he lost a lot when Matt left. If 1620 could somehow go to Sharp/Benning morning, Schick and Nick midday and Kugler/Severe in the afternoon, they would have one of the best radio lineups in the midwest...

Sipple was with DB on radio yesterday. Pretty good stuff.

I like listening to Sipple talk on Sharp and Benning. I like his style when he speaks his writing is ok, I have no problem with a little homerism in a local reporter.

Dirk writes very well a lot of the time, I think he looks to stir the pot too much. He is young, and to often he comes off as the guy that turned 14 in 1994 and pines for the golden age of the 90's. Sometimes he whines too much about it not being like that anymore. He tries to use to many stats to prove his point, and only shows the ones that make his point.

He can write good stuff the Leodis Flowers article was good. In the same instance he writes about one of Solich's classes being no good. Basically all he did was list the class members and say look at why NU sucked. To me that is not fair to those players.

My least favorite is Barfy. He thinks he is some writer for the Washington Post and is being neutral about everything.