ok... so who has some names for the new DB coach?

How bad is this timing?

Riley may have a lot of people he could potentially call up. But at this time of year, how many of them have already reaffirmed their commitment to their current jobs? Not exactly very active coach hiring season. All of that has by and large concluded, no?

Agree but so did Warren and apparently this is just how it works now.

By my count, at least 25/65 programs in Power 5 have had coaching staff changes since signing day. Crazy.

But at this time of year, how many of them have already reaffirmed their commitment to their current jobs?

I thought that mattered. Apparently not.

Yeah, apparently not, to some. Still, the pool has to be pretty limited. In December/January, that was open season, anybody anywhere was on the table if they wanted to evaluate where to go.

Now we're in a position where we have to ask someone who likely just finished recruiting, to do the same crappy thing. Kind of echoing the chancellor's comments about Bielema, but supposing they were willing to do it, do we necessarily want that kind of coach here? How long will they stay?

I'm sure we'll manage to get someone, but it might be far from the ideal someone. Unless maybe they come from the pro ranks.

I think position coaches are fair game pretty much any time in the off season. I would like to see him get someone familiar with the southeast but hopefully someone who will also stick around. Its hard enough to get top level talent here, and it makes it that much worse with the Huskers tract record in this position. I am wondering, because I'm not sure about the rules, but can a signee leave because of this without penalty?

No offense to Kenny Wilhite but I'd rather that Riley bring in a guy that has coached at the D-1 level before.

Then they leave right away. I like the ties to Husker football and he has coaching experience. Hire Kenny!
Pay them enough to keep them around. Problem solved.
  • Fire 3

Can't help attrition especially with rising stars in the profession. Doesn't mean you don't go after them to begin with.

But maybe find some guys who know what honoring a commitment means and don't leave you in mid-February. Valentine's Day is a terrible time to break up. Where's the love, Charlton??

• Fire 2

I think position coaches are fair game pretty much any time in the off season. I would like to see him get someone familiar with the southeast but hopefully someone who will also stick around. Its hard enough to get top level talent here, and it makes it that much worse with the Huskers tract record in this position. I am wondering, because I'm not sure about the rules, but can a signee leave because of this without penalty?

Not yet but there are talks of making a rule change that would allow it: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12308125/coaching-changes-national-signing-day-unfair-football-recruiting

Not yet but there are talks of making a rule change that would allow it: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12308125/coaching-changes-national-signing-day-unfair-football-recruiting

I believe there needs to be something that can be done for the kids. However, I don't like just allowing a player to leave if his position coach leaves. Let's say Warren has absolutely no morals. OK..he has been recruiting while being paid by NU all these months. He leaves right after signing day. Hey...now he can take all the recruits he recruited with him without penalty. That could be devastating in certain situations.