OT Alaric Jackson [Iowa - Signed LOI]

Mavric

I thought I saw where he canceled the trip but the staff was still working to maybe get him here....but I could be wrong on that.

Question, if we have only 4 more spots and we somehow would get this kid, which one of these would you turn away?

Fitzpatrick, Lamar Jackson, Simmons, Allen[/quote

None of them. I feel those 4 are our best case scenario

Even though I would want him, you turn Allen away. Snyder will be a solid TE for us - we have Stoll already even though Allen is the better prospect.

I disagree. The staff has shown they like to use multiple TE's at the same time. We need more numbers at that position to increase the odds of having guys capable of taking over in 2017

Or, I guess, it's possible they could not renew one of the walk-ons that got a scholarship last year. But I'm not sure how that works as far as timing goes - would they have to have been taken off before this semester started?

I believe the scholarships extended to walk-ons is for the Academic School Year of 2015-2016.

They decide in the summer/fall who will be on scholarship for the next year.

So technically, they are all earmarked as non-scholarship guys in 2016-2017 until we put them back on.

I truly don't know for certain that this is true, but it's what really makes sense in my mind.

Pretty sure scholarships are given a semester at a time. We've had situations before where a walk-on would get a scholarship for the spring semester if someone leaves after the fall semester.

But I don't know how that affects the 88 limit - if you can say they're not going to have a scholarship or something like that. Or contingent on a spot being available.

These rules suck, and I feel we always debate them lol. I thought the rule was no more of 25 in the class with unlimited back-counting for early enrollees, and have to be at 85 at the beginning of fall camp and stay that way for the duration of the season. Am I wrong?

I think that B1G rules only allow you to oversign by 3, so as of signing day you can't be at more than 88.

• Fire 1

Or, I guess, it's possible they could not renew one of the walk-ons that got a scholarship last year. But I'm not sure how that works as far as timing goes - would they have to have been taken off before this semester started?

I believe the scholarships extended to walk-ons is for the Academic School Year of 2015-2016.

They decide in the summer/fall who will be on scholarship for the next year.

So technically, they are all earmarked as non-scholarship guys in 2016-2017 until we put them back on.

I truly don't know for certain that this is true, but it's what really makes sense in my mind.

I work with a gentleman who was a walk-on & got a schollie his Sr. year. Granted he played under TO, but he told me that they are not guaranteed. TO always held out so my schollies for deserving walk-ons, but he also had more schollies to work with.

I thought I saw where he canceled the trip but the staff was still working to maybe get him here....but I could be wrong on that.

Question, if we have only 4 more spots and we somehow would get this kid, which one of these would you turn away?

Fitzpatrick, Lamar Jackson, Simmons, Allen

Don't think you can. Back count one of the early enrollees then figure out the scholly count by fall camp.

I don't think we have the ability to back count any early enrollees and new Big Ten rules make you have to have the numbers figured out by signing day. This already has us over signing by 3.
Thanks for clarifying.

Even though I would want him, you turn Allen away. Snyder will be a solid TE for us - we have Stoll already even though Allen is the better prospect.

I disagree. The staff has shown they like to use multiple TE's at the same time. We need more numbers at that position to increase the odds of having guys capable of taking over in 2017
Ya we need TE numbers bad.