Spring Quarterback Competition

Nothing about any of that says Bush will be the starter or a better QB. There is a lot more to playing the position than having good mechanics. There are good QBs with bad mechanics and there are bad QBs with good mechanics. I'm skeptical that TA will ever be a consistently good QB. But that doesn't mean he still isn't the best we have.

+1 Exactly

Nothing about any of that says Bush will be the starter or a better QB. There is a lot more to playing the position than having good mechanics. There are good QBs with bad mechanics and there are bad QBs with good mechanics. I'm skeptical that TA will ever be a consistently good QB. But that doesn't mean he still isn't the best we have.

The ol' " best player we have" excuse, eh?
  • Fire 1

The ol' " best player we have" excuse, eh?

I guess I don't follow you.

You could do worse than Tommy Armstrong.

And a lot of Big 10 teams will.

Well ... I mean ... saying "you could do worse" really doesn't mean anything. But we were 13th in the B1G in completion percentage and 7th in percentage of passes intercepted. So we weren't a lot better than many.

• Fire 2

True. We were middle of the pack in most categories.

But Tommy Armstrong was #4 in Total Offense among all Big 10 players.

As a returning starter it's not a bad place to start.

It's also not hard to envision a new quarterback entirely.

But also not hard to envision Tommy looking better when everything else on the team gets improved, which has to happen, too.

Holy sh#t I did not know we had so many qb coaches on this board!! And yall can even coach from a still image? Wooo boy why are we paying someone the big bucks when we can just get a live practice feed to husker board members??

I know it's off season boys, and it's obvious upon watching tape that Bush looks more polished in mechanics, but cmon. He could have Joe Bausermanned that ball for all we know. I'd be willing to bet there are a variety of NFL qbs who could be put in this still and they would look poor too. There's no "perfect" form. What matters is that ball goes where it is supposed to, consistently.

+10 for the verb "Joe Bausermanned"

It's a delicate situation right now. You can start Tommy but you'll have to endure mental mistakes and not so great mechanics. But, he had experience and has shown to be pretty tough. Or you can pick potential with Bush. But, he's bound to make mistakes because he's never seen the field at the college level.

At this point it would be smart to take experience above potential and try to put Tommy in a position to succeed. Using his strengths and calling plays that don't put too much pressure on him. Too many times last year we saw Beck put it all on Tommy and there were mistakes which cost us.

• Fire 1