Spring Quarterback Competition

Sounds like Darlington is running the offense well but definitely doesn't have the arm strength of TA and Bush.

Very few good notes on Stanton this spring. Might be adios.

Stanton and TA have both been quiet lately. Even Bush threw a pick. We've heard Fyfe get a shot with TA out, and now Darlington got some reps. If anything these guys are getting looks which is good to hear. Other than a little soft praise here and there, no one is gushing about any of them. Is this cause for a little concern, or just too soon?

right now, we don't have a QB with all the skill sets........we don't have a complete QB, we need to acquire one in the class of '16.........bad!

Probably. But any QB can learn to how to read coverage, and can learn how to be more accurate. They can also learn progression and avoid locking onto the 1st receiver. So it's still possible. It might be rough at first, but if they work at it, it will become easier. Off season / summer will be important for these guys to develop, so that the transition into fall camp will be smoother.

So, in a nutshell, we have yet to see a QB capable of running Riley's system. I know it's early, but concerning. Stanton seems to be MIA.

My question is this. At what point does Riley scrap his system and go with what he has? Does he scrap it? Does he have enough of a system withou a proficient qb? Does he go all Beck and say screw it and throw anyway?

Langs comments about no QB having touch is worrisome. The RB and screen routes require touch as does the quick outs. TA, after starting for 2 years, has a cannon. I haven't seen much touch from him, and haven't seen the others play enough. As Mack Brown said, an average qb won't get you the wins......

Kinda telling of the scouting and recruiting of the position under Pelini. I won't hold out much hope of solid QB play until Riley gets some of his own guys in. Bush might have a chance at developing, since he has a lot of time left.

Not expecting much there this year.

Words like a punch to the nuts.... Reading the tweets and reports, I am unsure Bo really recruited a QB. I have to agree with your observations. Another complete miss by Bo and Co.

Kinda telling of the scouting and recruiting of the position under Pelini. I won't hold out much hope of solid QB play until Riley gets some of his own guys in. Bush might have a chance at developing, since he has a lot of time left.

Not expecting much there this year.

+1 but its more than kinda telling.....

Many of us have been saying this crap for years.

YOU RECRUIT PASSERS THAN CAN RUN! YOU DON'T RECRUIT RUNNERS THAT CAN SORTA PASS.

You can defend the guy all you want, I don't give a damn if Urban Meyer hired him, what world was Tim Beck living in where passing was the second most important thing he looked or in a quarterback? The guy is a dumbass.

It's QUARTERBACK! You'd better have a guy that can sling it first, then if he can run.....great!

You don't take a run first guy and try to turn him into a passer.

We've got some who have the idea that maybe Bo was the one making forcing this philosophy down Beck's throat, but if so, it's all hindsight. What kind of man just sits back and lets another guy dump all over his reputation? Beck sat through 4 years with trying to make Martinez a "Peyton Manning" and then recruited Armstrong right behind him.

I still think Tommy can get it together as a passer but if Bush is the better thrower, then go with him. Running should be seconary. Unless of course, you're running the option.

• Fire 1

No reason riley shouldn't grab a transfer QB. Most concerning position on the roster right now

I don't know that we need to be that concerned.

Riley and Langsdorf just may have to do what they've said they would do all along and that's "tailor" a system around their players skillsets.

All I'm saying is that we may not see the full potential of this offense until someone either steps up as a passer, or we go out and get one.

So, in a nutshell, we have yet to see a QB capable of running Riley's system. I know it's early, but concerning. Stanton seems to be MIA.

My question is this. At what point does Riley scrap his system and go with what he has? Does he scrap it? Does he have enough of a system withou a proficient qb? Does he go all Beck and say screw it and throw anyway?

Langs comments about no QB having touch is worrisome. The RB and screen routes require touch as does the quick outs. TA, after starting for 2 years, has a cannon. I haven't seen much touch from him, and haven't seen the others play enough. As Mack Brown said, an average qb won't get you the wins......

I don't think you change the system. I think you change players. There is too much experience, knowledge and guidance that goes with the system. They (QB) will be fine. But just in case, you got to have the second string guy prepared and ready. When a guy struggles and it affects the team, you go with plan B (backup). I think, besides working with your QBs, that's all you can do.

My biggest wish in the coaching search was a hot-shot OC who'd bring his stud 2015 QB recruit with him.

Since we didn't get that, I'd definitely be looking on the transfer market.

All that said, I don't know that they really need to change their system all that much. They've already said - and been practicing - they'd incorporate more QB run (zone read) than they've ever used. And their system *can* run the ball a lot. They've just been pretty pass-happy the last few years. Lean heavier on the run game and the defense and see what happens.

Is there any hot lead on a QB transfer we could go after just in case?

I get the feeling Tommy comes out looking like he always has. Sounds like Darlington or Bush replaces him before mid season. Johnny, if that switch was ever going to turn on, now is the time.

My biggest wish in the coaching search was a hot-shot OC who'd bring his stud 2015 QB recruit with him.

All that said, I don't know that they really need to change their system all that much. They've already said - and been practicing - they'd incorporate more QB run (zone read) than they've ever used. And their system *can* run the ball a lot. They've just been pretty pass-happy the last few years. Lean heavier on the run game and the defense and see what happens.

"Lean heavier on the run game and the defense", that sounds familiar. I think we've been trying that formula around here for a long time. I think what every Nebraska fan is learning, including myself, is that the passing game will always be vital to success. Not necessarily how much we throw it, but being effective WHEN we throw it.

It's time Nebraska becomes like every other successful team in the game right now and finds a QB who can sling it when needed.

I'm still thinking Tommy can be that guy but it sure doesn't sound like he's blowing anybody away so far this spring.

"Lean heavier on the run game and the defense", that sounds familiar. I think we've been trying that formula around here for a long time. I think what every Nebraska fan is learning, including myself, is that the passing game will always be vital to success. Not necessarily how much we throw it, but being effective WHEN we throw it.

It's time Nebraska becomes like every other successful team in the game right now and finds a QB who can sling it when needed.

I'm still thinking Tommy can be that guy but it sure doesn't sound like he's blowing anybody away so far this spring.

I agree. But if we don't have a QB who can provide a consistent passing game, I'd rather take my chances running it than throwing it.

I think this will be my concern all season...I just don't think that college coaches really develop QB's all that much, I think you are what you are by the time you are in college (not always but for the most part), I don't see TA hitting 65% of his passes even with all the coaching/experience that the staff has. I think being a junior now means that TA is who he is going to be.